• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4 965 BE Overclocking Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReardenX

I have a Cooler Master EVO 212 and Artic 5 Thermal Paste for the CPU

I currently have it Overclocked to 3.8 ghz at a voltage of 1.3625 with temperatures of the cores around 54-57 C while playing planetside 2.

Are these figures good or do they need to be changed for protection of hardware?

The core temp is already maxed out and you should not be getting temps that high with that cooler on that small amount of voltage. Some questions:

1. How good is your case ventilation? Unexpectedly high temps can be caused by poor case ventilation. That is, hot air is building up inside the case and is not being extracted fast enough. Thus, you are trying to cool with hot air. How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have and how large are they? You might try taking the case side off and see if temps fall.
2. What is your CPU socket temp running? If you will use HWMonitor it will give both core and CPU socket temp plus a ton of other useful info about temps and voltages.

My case has very poor ventilation then. Large wires from my power supply might be insulating it.

CPU temp on HWMonitor is hovering around 58-59.

Do you recommend opening the case up?

Tucking cables and wires out of the way that might be obstructing airflow can help but is no substitute for having plenty of fans moving air. Yes, I am saying if you want to test the theory that poor case ventilation is a culprit in excessively high temps then take the side panel off and test temps with the case open. Here is a picture that shows what good case ventilation looks like (air is being vigorously moved from front low to back high):

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 58
That spreads some light upon it. This case is too small. Might need a case upgrade. Do you have any recommendations for a good case that is in the 40-60$ price range?

With the big hardware I have in my case it is really cramped.

Thanks for the help :) I will now have to think things over before I get it.

Yes, opening the case will help some. I am surprised at those temps with the hyper 212 and relatively good voltage. Do you have a fan controller that is throttling them back?

One thing that helps the 212 is another 120mm fan right behind it in a push pull config or a fan exhausting out at the back of the case, directly in the hot air path from the cooler.

The fan on my Cooler Master hovers around 1700 rpm on full load. Is that what it should be at or should it be higher?

Then as far as I can tell it is the poor ventilation in my case. I would either have to rearrange wires (Might not even be able to find space to do) or buy a new case.

Then as far as I can tell it is the poor ventilation in my case. I would either have to rearrange wires (Might not even be able to find space to do) or buy a new case.
If you don't have the money to buy a new case there are some solutions that a bit cheaper.
If your handy with tools you can always cut some holes in the case and add some fans to it. Another is take the side panel off and use a house fan to blow air into the side of the case.

I have found the culprit. Last night I had a theory it might be too thick of a coat of thermal paste. I reapplied it as well as turned the fan the right way (Now it blasts air out of the case). Now my temperatures are at 39 C at stock speed when they used to be in the upper 40s.

Running Prime95 right now and it is sitting at 52 C.

Back