• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhenomII 975 BE Cooling and OC Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n7plus1

New member here.

Just picked up a 975BE and for some reason, this thing is running way warmer than my 965BE i had before it and it doesnt seem to like being OC'd all that much neither. There really isnt any difference between the 2...other than the stock clock is 100MHz faster so i may just switch back to the 965...opinions?

I ran the 965 @ 4.1 24/7 for months with stock cooling and no issues.

Last night, tried running the 975 @ that same frequency to no avail...BF3 crashes so im assuming its heat related.

MOBO is an ASUS M4N98TD EVO, memory is Mushkin Blackline LL 8GB (4x2)

Im looking for a good cooler that isnt super expensive but will give me superior cooling over stock.

Im also looking for a bit of support on OC'ing this thing to a stable point past the 965 was (if possible). Or per your advice, throw the 965 back in, if it "likes to be OC'd better".

It was booting 4.2 into windows, and then crashing during BF3 gameplay. I guess my mistake was not stress testing any settings.

This chip doesnt seem to like the frequency touched at all and only will boot with clocks messed with. Then the 965 was the opposite...mostly all done with the frequency and hardly any clock. what gives?:-/

I think I would be Prime 95ing that thing at stock for at least 2 hours to see if the 975BE is any good at all. No sense in wasting time trying to clock something that hates anything beyond stock.

Of course any piece of silicon is either good for extra speed or it is not. The thing is a dice-roll when getting it in your hands.

hmmm...but how will i know if its "any good at all" or worth time trying to clock it beyond stock?

New member here.

Just picked up a 975BE and for some reason, this thing is running way warmer than my 965BE i had before it and it doesnt seem to like being OC'd all that much neither. There really isnt any difference between the 2...other than the stock clock is 100MHz faster so i may just switch back to the 965...opinions?

I ran the 965 @ 4.1 24/7 for months with stock cooling and no issues.

Last night, tried running the 975 @ that same frequency to no avail...BF3 crashes so im assuming its heat related.

MOBO is an ASUS M4N98TD EVO, memory is Mushkin Blackline LL 8GB (4x2)

Im looking for a good cooler that isnt super expensive but will give me superior cooling over stock.

Im also looking for a bit of support on OC'ing this thing to a stable point past the 965 was (if possible). Or per your advice, throw the 965 back in, if it "likes to be OC'd better".

It was booting 4.2 into windows, and then crashing during BF3 gameplay. I guess my mistake was not stress testing any settings.

This chip doesnt seem to like the frequency touched at all and only will boot with clocks messed with. Then the 965 was the opposite...mostly all done with the frequency and hardly any clock. what gives?:-/

If you got 4.1 out of the 965, I'd put that thing back in and run it. My 980BE only gets 4.1 so your doing good with the 965. From what I've been reading, 4.1 is just about it out of the higher clocked BE's. What have you done tweaking wise? Did you increase the CPUNB voltage? Read this post on what I did with mine with the help of trents. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706004
I got a new 980BE that only does 4.1 on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and a vcore of 1.475v. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get lemon. It's a crap shoot. In the past, I got some good AMD Athlon XP CPU's that would OC great. I might get a 960T from Newegg if the price drops or they put it on sale again. I missed the last sale. It also helps if you post the screen shots of CPU-Z and HWMonitor so the guys here can see what's going on. Good Luck.

Like madman said, we need screenshots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" to take a look at your system and some key bios settings. And like he said, bump the CPUNB voltage up to about 1.225. And like Rgone said, don't talk about being stable unless you can pass at least 2 hrs. of Prime95 blend.

If you got 4.1 out of the 965, I'd put that thing back in and run it. My 980BE only gets 4.1 so your doing good with the 965. From what I've been reading, 4.1 is just about it out of the higher clocked BE's. What have you done tweaking wise? Did you increase the CPUNB voltage? Read this post on what I did with mine with the help of trents. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706004
I got a new 980BE that only does 4.1 on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and a vcore of 1.475v. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get lemon. It's a crap shoot. In the past, I got some good AMD Athlon XP CPU's that would OC great. I might get a 960T from Newegg if the price drops or they put it on sale again. I missed the last sale. It also helps if you post the screen shots of CPU-Z and HWMonitor so the guys here can see what's going on. Good Luck.

ill get some shots up, im thinking going back to the 965 is a good idea. the 975 seems to be running waayy hotter than the 965 did, both on stock cooling. I was playing BF3 last night on stock everything in bios and the cpu fan was truckin'...that NEVER happened with my 965 @ 4.1GHz!!??? I ALSO have a hyper 212 EVO on the way from NE, are you happy with it?

i never messed with the voltage and it went to 4.1 with just tweaking the multiplier

Like madman said, we need screenshots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" to take a look at your system and some key bios settings. And like he said, bump the CPUNB voltage up to about 1.225. And like Rgone said, don't talk about being stable unless you can pass at least 2 hrs. of Prime95 blend.

will, ill be reading the link posted above, thanks madman. I just downloaded prime too. so more than 2 hours is not necessary?

ill get some shots up, im thinking going back to the 965 is a good idea. the 975 seems to be running waayy hotter than the 965 did, both on stock cooling. I was playing BF3 last night on stock everything in bios and the cpu fan was truckin'...that NEVER happened with my 965 @ 4.1GHz!!??? I ALSO have a hyper 212 EVO on the way from NE, are you happy with it?

i never messed with the voltage and it went to 4.1 with just tweaking the multiplier

will, ill be reading the link posted above, thanks madman. I just downloaded prime too. so more than 2 hours is not necessary?

The Evo is a nice HSF. It's a little heavier than I expected. You will need a case big enough for it to fit in. My Antec case was just big enough for it. Also, you can't use tall ram in the first slots if your slots are close to the CPU socket. I did find that it was fairly easy to install. You will have to remove the mobo.

i have an asus m4n98td evo

asus_m4n98td_evo_1.jpg

from pics ive seen, i didnt see the issue with fitment and the first slot? maybe...?

how big of a case are we talking? Mine seems to have enough room, imo.

running an nzxt source 210:

1209.jpg

i shouldnt need to remove the board b/c theres an access hole in the panel underneath, as seen in the picture.

Your board layout is similar to mine. The fan will sit over the first 2 ram slots. If you have ram with high heat sinks on them the fan won't clear. I don't know anything about your case size. The problem you may have is the Evo is around 159mm tall. If your case isn't wide enough. the side cover won't go on. I read somewhere where a guy cut a hole in his side cover to make the Hyper 212 Plus fit which is about the same size as the Evo. I suggest removing the mobo. It will make it a lot easier installing the Evo.

The case needs to be 8" wide measured from the outside of the side panels to have clearance for the height of the Hyper 212+ evo, or most any tower cooler with 120mm fans. The fan size pretty much dictates that.

10-4.....thanks for the help, i guess well see come monday evening when this thing gets delivered.

Back