• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sunrise at the historic Bessborough hotel in Saskatoon a week ago. Also, the historic Bessborough hotel a week ago. Best lens in the bag came out for the night time shot.

DSC_7303.jpg

DSC_7274.jpg

I had no idea this thread existed! Guess I should get on the forum more... Anyhow, there's some really good stuff in here!
Here's one from this past weekend at Marble Canyon, Kootenay National Park, B.C. Canada.
Flickr shows all the EXIF data, so I won't bother posting it all here.
25224467433_963566401b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to get committed for daring to go inside this place to set this shot up...

DSC_7764.jpg

Beautiful shot O_W. You need to be careful dude. The last thing I wanna read about...well, I guess we wouldn't read about it. Cuz if the roof caved in on you nobody would be able to find you.

"Missing wolf from Oklahoma disappears in Saskatchewan"

I'm going to get committed for daring to go inside this place to set this shot up...
Looks awesome!
and I've seen sketchier looking houses that are still standing... at least the outside of that one still looks fairly straight and upright... at least from this angle, I would go into that house with confidence that it wouldnt kill me!
At work, we have fixed a couple of old barns, that for the life of me, I have no idea how they hadn't fallen down, the one you could basically rock from side to side, we had to replace the entire bottom wall plate, it was mostly rotten out, and about half the studs crumbled apart when we touched them to check for rot, probably 3/4 of the studs ended up being replaced... no idea how the thing was still standing, but now it should probably be good for another 50 years!
But, I must also agree with Baylock, be safe, having a building fall down on you would not be in your best interest!

The demon said he'd go get help if anything happened :p

I actually tried glowsticks first, but there was way too much moonlight. The flashlights were the only things I had on me bright enough to do anything with. The house is collapsing in front, so I came in from the back door where it's a lot safer.

Here's one from a recent night trip out to Kananaskis Country, between Calgary and Canmore, AB. That's the Widow-maker in the foreground; a chute on the Kananaskis River just upstream from the Kayak Slalom course.
Click the pic for full size HD and EXIF.
23265952724_acd177095a_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What gear and settings did you use for this shot Jeremy? Turned out nice!

What gear and settings did you use for this shot Jeremy? Turned out nice!

D5100 with AI 28mm at f2.8, auto white balance, 6 seconds, ISO 400... I think. I switched to the kit lens to try and get sunstars on the lights, but that didn't work out. Lights were too bright to do that and get the moonlight on the house.

Shot RAW - it was underexposed, so I needed to do some tweaking.

Always like to see the Northern lights. Sadly only ever seen them in ya'lls photos. The northern light green is like glacier blue, which I did get to see on a vacation trip to Alaska. Nice shot baditude!

that is one stunning shot Bad...
Thank you!

Always like to see the Northern lights. Sadly only ever seen them in ya'lls photos. The northern light green is like glacier blue, which I did get to see on a vacation trip to Alaska. Nice shot baditude!
Thanks! A lot of the lights we see around here are only barely visible to the naked eye and require at least a 4 second exposure to really capture. Not nearly as nice as the lights I used to see in Saskatchewan(where Oklahoma Wolf is from) as a kid.

D5100 with AI 28mm at f2.8, auto white balance, 6 seconds, ISO 400... I think. I switched to the kit lens to try and get sunstars on the lights, but that didn't work out. Lights were too bright to do that and get the moonlight on the house.

Shot RAW - it was underexposed, so I needed to do some tweaking.

Oh Cool, the 5100 is a good little camera, and I like the creativity in your composition!
I can get good stars on my 14mm f2.8 by cranking the aperture down to ~f8-f11 minimum. Of course the exposure time has to increase, but it seems to limit the light just enough to help balance the rest of the frame. I've gotten decent results. Have you tried that?
Here's an example from the same trip as above, of course it's at ISO 3200 which helps as well, which wouldn't really be possible without a body like the 6D that can handle it:
23526246359_6dcc264ab3_b.jpg

Went for another little drive. This place was far less sketchy than the last one. A little kit lens action this time, because I still don't have a good ultrawide zoom yet.

DSC_7907.jpg

I can get good stars on my 14mm f2.8 by cranking the aperture down to ~f8-f11 minimum.

The 28mm AI doesn't sunstar until f11-f16 - by that time it's not letting in enough light to do much with. I should be using the 50mm AI-S for the sunstars - it looks wonderful by f8 already.

But wait, there's more. This house is at the top of my list of houses I want to buy and fix up. It's not nearly in as bad shape as it looks. The porch has collapsed but the main body of the house is in remarkably good shape.

Throwing in a selfie taken here for good measure. And yes, I am that tall :p

DSC_7961.jpg

DSC_7967.jpg

But wait, there's more. This house is at the top of my list of houses I want to buy and fix up. It's not nearly in as bad shape as it looks. The porch has collapsed but the main body of the house is in remarkably good shape.

Throwing in a selfie taken here for good measure. And yes, I am that tall :p

View attachment 177253

View attachment 177254

Glad I'm not the only one who wants to fix some of those houses up!
Honestly, they are perfect. Secluded and probably have lots of land. Two things I want most in life. :)

Great pics guys, Pat I love that aurora borealis shot! I've seen it twice in my life. Once in Mississauga as a kid - supe rbright green even with all the light pollution and faint red up here just last year :)
Jeremy keep them houses coming man! I'd love to visit some one day. Many people have told me to skip the prairies because there's nothing there to see.... They are just plain wrong. :)

Back