• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Piledriver" owner discussion thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember the 81xx series had a horrible jump in power usage when overclocking. Can anyone get some numbers off a Kill A Watt from stock speeds under high load and OC speeds at high load for the 83xx?

Hey i'm thinking of buying an FX-8320 soonish for better single thread performance, can anyone tell me if the NB can clock as high as the 8120? I only got mine to around 2400mhz but would like to get higher. Or perhaps post a WinRAR score - I get around 7000kbps on mine.

Reason I'm asking is I found a higher clocked NB and HT gave a much bigger speed increase for various tasks then just using multiplier. Its like the L3 cache really loved being clocked higher.

I remember the 81xx series had a horrible jump in power usage when overclocking. Can anyone get some numbers off a Kill A Watt from stock speeds under high load and OC speeds at high load for the 83xx?

My system @ 4.8GHz is pulling ~290 watts on the Kill a Watt while running/crunching 8 threads of WCG @100% load.

Switched over to water cooling today and my chip is now running with good temps under load. :thup:
4.8Ghz with ambient temp ~20.3C:
FX-835048GHzwatercooledWCGload.png

I'll also look at my watt usage, when I get some watts again to use. No power since monday :(

My system @ 4.8GHz is pulling ~290 watts on the Kill a Watt while running/crunching 8 threads of WCG @100% load.

Sweet! Sounds like it was fixed thanks. Actually just picked an 8320 today as I think I fried my PII x6 :(

That has been some terrible weather like we in the south have had with hurricanes pretty regular. I hope they can sort the 'services' sooner than they have been predicting. Good luck to you man.

RGone...ster.

I'll also look at my watt usage, when I get some watts again to use. No power since monday :(

Thanks RGone, I was able to get my hands on a small generator today so at least we have some light and the tv, though 45f and no heat sucks a bit.

Unless i am missing something here, I thought higher scores were better? So even your 8320 at 4.8 didnt score as high as your 8120 at 4.6?

Ok well I had a bit of free time today so I took a jab at the 8320. Im at 4.84Ghz currently and have been using 3dMark Vantage as a stability test, also to compare performance.

The comparison is from the best 3d Vantage CPU score I achieved with my 8120 VS 3 runs I made today. The RAM, motherboard, and PSU is the same, across all tests. SSD and waterblock have changed since the 8120 was recorded.

View attachment 117902

View attachment 117899

View attachment 117900

View attachment 117901

As you can see the 8320 handily beats the score from my 8120 @ 4.6G while running at 4.4G not a bad start. From here I bumped the multiplier 1 between the next two runs. The 4.8G run did require 2 bumps in vCore to pass, but I also reduced the LLC setting one notch so the total vCore change was +0.02v @ load.

Interestingly the graphics score scaled with the CPU speed on the 8320, it was minor, but worthwhile @ 773 points.

Total change in CPU score(8320): 1,910
Total CPU score gain from 8120: 2,621

Total change in 3dMark score(8320): 1,002

Look at the CPU score not the 3dMark score. Totally different GPU configurations for the tests, highly overclocked SLI GTX 460s, vs a single stock speed 570 thus different total scores. None the less the scaling on CPU score is still there, and as you can see continues to scale up to 4.8Ghz atleast.

Look at the CPU score not the 3dMark score. Totally different GPU configurations for the tests, highly overclocked SLI GTX 460s, vs a single stock speed 570 thus different total scores. None the less the scaling on CPU score is still there, and as you can see continues to scale up to 4.8Ghz atleast.

Thank you. I knew i was missing something. Was in the middle of listening and talking to someone else when I was reading it. Didnt realize there were differences in the test. :eek:

Hello, I´ve got all parts but the fx-8350.. If I´ve recieved it, than I will post up some benchmarks running on its stock speeds. You can read my future setup in my signature and I will post up some kill a watt results.
So I will make a kill a watt result from my current Overclocked Q6700 setup and afterwards, when I replaced it with some older parts from the past and the Q6700 been resetted on stock speeds.

Edit: I´ve also signed me in for the steam beta client on linux. So I can maybe post up some of the fps counts on linux in games. This might be TF2 or L4D2.

MeChGanG,
Would like to see your fps on Linux in games...I'm also a Linux user Ubantu 12.04, keep us posted.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you guys with an 8350 come from a 4170? If so, what have been your observations/results between the two?

Finally got mine, I have AMD FX-8320 piledriver at Fry's was $5.00 less than Newegg, getting ready to do the setup, have to take my silverarrow heat sink off my current cpu, can't wait!

Switched over to water cooling today and my chip is now running with good temps under load. :thup:
4.8Ghz with ambient temp ~20.3C:
FX-835048GHzwatercooledWCGload.png

Have you tried running blend on prime ? Try running it for a couple of hours and see if your OC is stable.

Have you tried running blend on prime ? Try running it for a couple of hours and see if your OC is stable.

My AMD rig is currently down as I had to RMA my CHVF motherboard... One of the memory channels went out and the board was running in single channel mode (The CPUZ memory tab from my last posted screen shot confirms this). :(

My AMD rig is currently down as I had to RMA my CHVF motherboard... One of the memory channels went out and the board was running in single channel mode (The CPUZ memory tab from my last posted screen shot confirms this). :(

Ahh I see, Sorry to hear that. :(

PolRoger,
Sorry to hear that, Hope you get things up and running soon...

I got my 8320 up and running and it is fast, wow, so far loving it, for now my system is air cooled have the Silver Arrow Heat Sink on top of my CPU. However when I do start overclocking might switch to water cooling and will need help with that. Plus waiting for better drivers from AMD for my GPU as I'm using Linux Ubantu 12.04. I might go with Nvidia gpu next year, but not looking forward to shelling out a lot of money for their gpu's.

Back