• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Piledriver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitty2Kat

Registered
Okay so on Legit Reviews, they are posting about pre orders for piledriver AMD cpu. However, they also stated that AMD would be pushing Steamroller, so then would it be worth the wait for Steamroller or would piledriver be the way to go, the rest of my Computer is up graded and I've been waiting for a good cpu, but now the question is which one shouold we go for if AMD is going to be pushing Steamroller???
Anyone else out there waiting??? What's your opinions on this news?

Well that depends. From everything I have read Steamroller will be on a new socket .... FM2 not the AM3 socket that Bulldozer/Piledriver is using. So if you have bought an AM3 Socket board Piledriver will be the highest chip you will be able to use in it.

Well guess I'll be stuck with getting piledriver for my AMD Asus CrosshairV Thunderbolt Mobo, as it has the AM3 Sockets.
Which will be the better sockets the FM2 or AM3?
How come I can't find my mobo on AMD ASUS website? weird..

Last edited:
Last edited:
Piledriver on the 23 Oct 2012, Socket AM3+ apparently. Steamroller ?? ??? 2013 Socket ???

I think it is anyone's guess when 'steamroller' will come. Last bit of information I got was that THE NOW 'steamroller' will change architecture again and move away from BD/PD type. THAT was not the original plans for 'steamroller', so it could be sometime before steamroller comes; if they are abandoning the BD/PD architecture.

Okay so on Legit Reviews, they are posting about pre orders for piledriver AMD cpu. However, they also stated that AMD would be pushing Steamroller, so then would it be worth the wait for Steamroller or would piledriver be the way to go, the rest of my Computer is up graded and I've been waiting for a good cpu, but now the question is which one shouold we go for if AMD is going to be pushing Steamroller???
Anyone else out there waiting??? What's your opinions on this news?

Steamroller won't be released for a good year. The FX-8350 will be significantly better in performance than the current 8150 cpu. I do not know who told you steamroller will be only on fm2,,, but I doubt it. AMD has never said that and those who say AMD will not release a cpu without gpu built in for the future have no proof of it. That means however whatever the steamroller plan is you would need a new motherboard , possibly memory as well as the cpu. If you currently have am3+ motherboard and memory and you choose not to wait an entire year to upgrade I would go for the FX-8350. Do not pre-order it. You will be paying a good $10 or more extra by doing that. Order it when it is released. Amazon will give you a great price on it like they did for me when I bought my FX-8150. I have been happy with it in spite of the foolish rantings of the Intel gamers. It can run any game out there provided you have a good video card. Hope I have helped you. By good memory I like GSkill memory myself.

Steamroller with be AM3+ socket, was announced by AMD on 27th of September 2012...So then would piledriver be good to get or the wait for Steamroller as AMD will be pushing that???
Worth considering? and How soon will the review for Piledriver be on here?
and could you do some stats on it with Linux? maybe a have team competition on that Linux VS Windows 8 on piledriver...Just something to think about...

I have not heard a firm date for it's release, Oct 10 and Oct 22. I am sure once AMD lifts it restrictions about information you will see some write ups pop up fast .... just like last time with Bulldozer.

Yep, I'll be awaiting those reviews. The reviews done on here are by far more superior than others out there...

Back