• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pin mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biosboy4

I really want to pin mod a couple of old chips (socket 478 1.8Ghz P4 and a 2.7 Ghz celly) on a "non-overclockable board"

I found this... http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/154136-how-up-voltage-socket-478-cpu.html for the voltage side of things...

and I found this on how to change the fsb. (just scroll down a tad and you'll see the pic.).... http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/154136-how-up-voltage-socket-478-cpu-5.html

The thing is though, in that second link the picture does not say which way the cpu is turned... nor does it say if it's looking at the cpu or the socket. Do any of the veterans here know?

their pic isnt very clear, gonna have to go thru intel white papers...

*edit*
actually that pic is from intel whitepapers... that is from a top down view of the cpu..... even the whitepapers are not much help of the layout of the cpu...

Last edited:
oh ok... which way is it turned? in other words... What corner are the arrow and missing pins facing?

oh ok... which way is it turned? in other words... What corner are the arrow and missing pins facing?

that would be the million dollar question, as its not labled out clearly in the intel whitepapers... with lga775 it was much clearer when looking at the cpu/pin layout.

my best guess though the way the pic should be. Is that the corner with the gold arrow is at the bottom left.

Well then I'm going to try it like that I guess.... I hope I don't die lol.

I have a different s478 diagram at home. I'll look at it when I get off work and post it if it will be helpful.

Here's the pics I have. The Top of Processor view means you are looking at an empty 478 socket. The backward text version should be looking at the CPU pins.

I thank the original poster for these, but I don't even remember where I found them. :)

Attachments

• SS 478 pinout.JPG
    SS 478 pinout.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 294
  • SS 478 pinview.JPG
    SS 478 pinview.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 223
The thing is though, in that second link the picture does not say which way the cpu is turned... nor does it say if it's looking at the cpu or the socket.

The image doesn't say...but the accompanying text the guy wrote does ;)

Silly question, but . . . do you know for sure if the oem boards support higher fsb chips? If not, the chip will default to a low bus speed or the board may not post at all.

Back