• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

placing a heatsink on the back of the mobo where cpu is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry for the massive bump but it's always better than to make a new thread about the same thing, right?

Just wanted to ask if this is still relevant in 2011. I'm considering buying an 80mm fan to exhaust air from the tiny gap between the motherboard and the tray, if it can indeed lower temps by a few degrees it's easily worth the hassle and £5!

Mike

If anything, it means even more today as CPUs put out so much heat. It's worth the money for one fan to put on the back of the motherboard :)

This is a zombie thread though...

It's often worth a degree or two from what I've read.
It certainly won't hurt!

There are some cases nowadays, like the Dragon Rider case I use for my heatsink test system, that actually have a large square hole cut out of the mobo panel and have a fan blowing through there to get some air circulation in between the back side of the mobo and the panel. Like Bob said, it can't hurt.

There are some cases nowadays, like the Dragon Rider case I use for my heatsink test system, that actually have a large square hole cut out of the mobo panel and have a fan blowing through there to get some air circulation in between the back side of the mobo and the panel. Like Bob said, it can't hurt.

+1, the Antec 1100 also offers this, among others.

I personally dont put much faith in it making an appreciable difference. It may infact lower the temps somewhat but to me thats just adding another fan that has to use power, create noise, be cleaned, which I feel outweigh all the benefits. However, my 690 II's have a hole in the mobo tray AND a mount for a slim 80mm fan to be mounted.

Back