• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to buy 960T + Cooler. A few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gatgat23

Registered
As you can see, I'm new here.
Please bear w/ me. :D

I'm planning to buy a Phenom II X4 960T Zosma.
Since I always play high-end games, I thought of OC'ing 960T.

Also, my motherboard has an interesting feature.
My mobo is "MSI 760GM-P23(FX)".
The interesting feature is "OC Genie".
It's feature is to detect the best OC'ing configuration for my CPU.
(Well, it's interesting to me, because it's my first time OC'ing.)
I'm currently using OC Genie on my Athlon II X2 250.

Also my mobo can unlock cores.
So, I have a question first.
Since 960T can be unlocked into a Hexa-Core processor, what is better?
-- Use OC Genie on 4 cores?
or
-- Unlock it to 6 cores then use OC Genie?

Also here's also the CPU cooler I'm planning to buy:
http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ICEEDGE_300/

Well, it's my preferred cooler because of my budget.
It's cheap and I think it's good.
So, can that cooler handle 960T when i OC/Unlock it?
Or, I need a better one?

My specs are on my signature.

(Before I buy this processor, I will first buy a PSU.)
What do you think of this:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738
(I used a PSU calculator. And I put all my future upgrades. The recommended PSU watts is 370w. So I think this PSU can handle it.)

I appreciate for those who will answer. :)

I didnt know any chips unlocked from quad to hex... cool! Logic would dictate that more cores + overclock would be better than fewer cores + overclock. Just depends on what overclock it decides on for each really.

I think you should check out cooler reviews before you randomly pick one and 'think' its ok.

I also think you should get a higher quality PSU... Corsair CX/TX series would be a solid choice for a little more. the wattage you have (550W) is spot on though.

First, don't use the overclock genie. It will not give an overclock as high and as stable as manually manipulating bios settings will. Those genies simply do not manipulate enough variables to do the job well. We will help you with the bios settings if you want.

If you can successfully unlock cores (i.e., if the locked cores prove to be stable) you will find it will somewhat limit your maximum overclock frequency of the CPU. In other words, you will not be able to overclock the CPU as high as you would if leaving it as a four core. If your main use is games, go for the higher overclock as a four core since games do not yet make good use of more than four cores and many of them don't even make good use of four cores.

If you will be getting a 6870 video card I would go for more than a 370W PSU.

That cooler will limit your overclock but is better than the stock cooler.

Just searched at Google and the most preferred cooler for 960T is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
Link: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

What do you think of that?
I also took a look on its reviews and it's like, ok.

A problem though.
On the store I'm buying, Corsair GS series is the only Corsair PSU that has high wattage.
And, I can't afford the price. :(
How about this though?
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6641
Cooler Master GX 550W.

@trents: Thanks for that. Well, it's my first time OC'ing though so I don't know too much about OC Genie.
I thought it will be good because it's automatically detecting the best configuration.
If you can help me, that will be good. But, I'm still gathering money. Maybe at the end of July? I don't know.
But, when I bought the processor and this thread is already way down, can you still help me?
Also, does my current specs compatible with 960T?
I'm planning to buy Casing > PSU > Processor > VC > RAM. Is it a good buying sequence?

Last edited:
The one thing you do not want to skimp on is the PSU. Im not sure how good the Coolermaster GX line is. CM is hit and miss. In my signature is a link to a PSU guide. See whats approved on this list and affordable for you.

Just searched at Google and the most preferred cooler for 960T is Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
Link: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

Good choice for the cooler here but measure your case width across the top panel from outside to outside. It will need to be 8" wide or very close to it to accommodate the height of the 212+ evo or any tower-style cooler with a 120mm fan.

What do you think of that?
I also took a look on its reviews and it's like, ok.

A problem though.
On the store I'm buying, Corsair GS series is the only Corsair PSU that has high wattage.
And, I can't afford the price. :(
How about this though?
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6641
Cooler Master GX 550W. Not the best but should work.

@trents: Thanks for that. Well, it's my first time OC'ing though so I don't know too much about OC Genie.
I thought it will be good because it's automatically detecting the best configuration. No it doesn't. That's their marketing hype.
If you can help me, that will be good. But, I'm still gathering money. Maybe at the end of July? I don't know.
But, when I bought the processor and this thread is already way down, can you still help me?
Also, does my current specs compatible with 960T?
I'm planning to buy Casing > PSU > Processor > VC > RAM. Is it a good buying sequence? I approve. Build a good foundation.

Don't skimp on the case. Get a roomy one (at least 8" wide) with lots of places for cooling fans.

I think the Commander MS-1 is already 8" wide?
Just looked at the specs of the case, it's 19.1 x 8.0 x 16.8 inch.

I thought OC Genie is good.
But still, manual is better. :)

Upping my question:
If this thread is already way down, and I bought my processor, can I just up this thread then help me if you still can? :)

OC genie IS good, however manual is better. You can use the OC genie to clock, then reduce vcore after is a solid (beginners) way to do it.

I think the Commander MS-1 is already 8" wide?
Just looked at the specs of the case, it's 19.1 x 8.0 x 16.8 inch.

The width should be adequate then for the cooler. How many fans does the case come with. Good ventilation is important to keeping temps down when overclocking.

I thought OC Genie is good.
But still, manual is better. :)

Upping my question:
If this thread is already way down, and I bought my processor, can I just up this thread then help me if you still can?

Certainly. There is a forum tool, I believe, that allows you to search for all the threads you have participated in. In the meantime, you do some preparation work by downloading and installing these tools that are standard helps for overclockers here on the forum: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. You might want to play with them and see what they do. CPU-z reports a lot of valuable info about the system and bios settings. HWMonitor reports a lot of info about system temps and voltages. Prime95 is our standard "stress tester" to heavily load the system and check the stability of overclock settings. You could play with them on your current system and become familiar with them. Tell us about your current system. Along with that you could familiarize yourself with the forum tool for uploading pictures because when the time comes we will be asking you for screenshots of the above mentioned program interfaces. :)

I don't suppose newegg ships to you, eh?

The 212+ is a fantastic cooler and is pretty cheap. Whatever you choose, definitely don't stay with the stock cooler that comes with these things. It's pretty crappy.

Last edited:
Upping my question:
If this thread is already way down, and I bought my processor, can I just up this thread then help me if you still can? :)

Best to start a new thread... When old threads are revived, they typically get fewer views - some people don't want to sort through a longer/older thread to try to catch up. New threads are more accessible, and typically the more input the better. Starting new threads with specific titles for what you are trying to accomplish will get you more people helping you more quickly typically. Plus, trents is in almost every thread in the amd section... You wouldn't be missed. :thup:

:welcome: to the forums.

@trents:
The case has:
-- 1x 120mm slot on front. (Intake)
-- 1x 120mm slot on bottom. (Intake)
-- 1x 120mm slot on side. (Intake)
-- 1x 120mm slot on back. (Exhaust)
-- 2x 120mm slot on top. (Exhaust)

I'm currently using CPU-Z to know my system information. (Just information.)
Since I will buy 960T and don't want to make wrong moves in that processor, your idea might be good.
My current system is on my signature. (The "no" future.)
I've downloaded HWMonitor and Prime95.

I will do your idea.
I'll try to overclock my current CPU manually. (Currently using OC Genie.)
My first time overclocking manually, help me. :)

@EarthDog:
Nice info.
But I'll try to OC my current CPU for me to familiarize on OC'ing manually.
So I won't make any major mistakes on my next CPU. :)

@rescuetoaster:
Thanks for the review.
But, I have no experience in buying online.
And, I live in Philippines.
I only buy locally. :)

Thanks also for the review of the cooler.
Make me confident in buying that cooler. :)

@I.M.O.G.:
Thanks for the info! :D
Also, thanks for welcoming me.
I'm new to the Overclocking World. :D

Actually, that 260 Regor should overclock pretty well, even on stock cooling. But it would be more complicated to overclock sense it doesn't have an unlocked multiplier. You would have to use the CPU frequency control in bios which we also call the fsb (front side bus). One handicap you will have in overclocking is where you live. It's hot there and if you don't have AC your ambient temps will add to the heat load.

I'll take a look on my BIOS.
I'll disable OC Genie and look at the FSB.
I think, the stock FSB is 200MHz.
I'll check what's the options there.

Correction though, It's a 250 Regor. :)

I know, it's hot here.
If it's Summer Season, temp here can get as high as 38C. (HOT! :D)
Current Core temp is 38C.
I'm using OC Genie in that temp.

Currently OC'ed at 3.39GHz w/ OC Genie.
I'll off the OC Genie to make it back to 3GHz stock.

The first thing I'd do is to check core temps at stock frequencies and voltages. This will give us an idea of how much "head room" you have for overclocking from a temp standpoint. Open HWMonitor on your desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Move the slider on HWMonitor up or down and adjust the size of the frame so you can see both the core temp section and the voltage seciton at the top.

Then post back with pictures attached of the HWMonitor interface so we can have a look at temps and voltages.

To attach a pic with the built in forum tool first crop and save the image to disc with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post window pops up, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. That will pull up the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

It's my bed time so I'll check this tomorrow. Good night!

Thanks for that.
I'll run the test with all at stock.

Will post the pictures after.
See you tomorrow!
Well, later for me. :)

Here's the screenshots of:
-- HWMonitor before blend test.
-- 20 minutes of HWMonitor and Prime95 during blend test.
-- 45 minutes of HWMonitor and Prime95 after blend test.

I'll wait for it! :D

Attachments

• HWMonitor before test.JPG
    HWMonitor before test.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20 minutes test.JPG
    20 minutes test.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 45 minutes test.JPG
    45 minutes test.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 83
Unfortunately, your core temps are already high and there is not really any room to overclock. We know from experience that once core temps start to climb past about 55c, instability starts to happen. A non overclocked CPU will stand temps a little higher. These are not unsafe temps as the CPU will be safe with core temps up to about 70c but will become unstable and cause the computer to blue screen or lockup at lower temps than that. What were your ambient (room) temps when you were running this test?

When you get your 960T it will really be important to have that good aftermarket cooler.

I don't know about the around us. But it's slightly warm. Maybe 30C?
And, as seen on my signature, may case is a Neutron Fit w/o fans and it is below desk.
Hmm. Guess I won't be overclocking for now?

Changed my buying sequence. Processor is at last.

Back