• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to buy 960T + Cooler. A few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be good to get a case with several fans to get rid of hot air to the outside. I think you are wise in putting off the CPU purchase and building a good foundation for overclocking first.

Yep. CPU at last.
Because, I just thought of:
After buying my Case > PSU > VC > RAM, and since there is already a good case, maybe I can OC my 250 Regor.
Then, Processor 960T will wait. :)

Also, when the CPU is at the top of desk, it will take more cool air, right?

My thought exactly. The Regor may surprise you. In the meantime you might try taking the side panel off the case and leave it open and even take it out from under the desk, run the 20 minute Prime95 test again and check the temps with HWMonitor - just for an experiment.

Is Regor really that good?
Well, it might really surprise me. :)

Will try that.
Will put it on my side chair. :D

Pictures, later. :)

I guess I really can't OC it.

Here's what I did:
-- Removed the side cover.
-- Put a small electric fan in front of the proc.
-- Still below desk.

I guess I really need a case.

Attachments

• Test.JPG
    Test.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 29
Yeah, you have a little room to overclock. You now have about 8-9c of headroom.

Lower the HT Link multiplier to 9x. You want to keep that frequency between 1800-200 as you overclock so change the muliplier from 10x to 9x. Keep the CPU core voltage at stock for the time being. Lower your ram speed from 1333 to 1066. Then start increasing the CPU frequency by 5 mhz incrments. Stock is 200 mhz so your first increment would be 205. Test with 20 minutes of Prime95 blend after each increase. Watch core temps with HWMonitor. When you can no longer pass the 20 minute Prime test (blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup, a core worker drops out of Prime) then post back with pics of HWMonitor after the last test and of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Wait. Just found two 80mm fans.
1 intake and 1 exhaust.

Will try to put it instead of electric fan. :D

Much difference from the other one?
I used an intake and exhaust fan here.
Both are 80mm.

Intake on the side.
And, Exhaust on the back.

EDIT: Can I still do what you've said with these 80mm fans?

Attachments

• Test 1.JPG
    Test 1.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 23
Temps are a little worse than before you installed the fans in post #25, when you just had the side panel off and a household fan blowing into the open side. 80mm fans are pretty small and don't move much air.

Back