• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help AMD Raid 0 Force 3 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agulerer

Corsair Force 3 Raid 0 Very Poor Performance

My rig is:

PHENOM II 1100T, GIGABYTE 990FX-UD7, 4 X 2 GB 2200 MHZ CL7 GSKILL RAM, 2 X FORCE 3 120 GB RAID 0, ZOTAC 590GTX.

Yesterday, I setup raid on AMD SB950 and my max read is 630 MB/S and max write is 570 MB/S. I tried everything to solve the problem but I could not find any solution. I updated firmware to 1.3 but it does not solve the problem. So what is the solution? I have the latest AMD Chipset with 6 X 6 GB port, and I have great ssds but I have poor performance. How can I solve that problem. I need urgent help.

In atto values are the same. Still poor performance. Do you think it is about AMD SB950 poor performance

I'm not real familiar with AMD CPUs and motherboards, but I have heard and read about people having issues with RAID and its speed on the AMD controller. So, it's possible that it's the controller limiting the speed.

Try to enable RAID5 in board BIOS ( weird option but it limiting transfer on ports when it's disabled ).
Enable NCQ in RAIDXpert
Enable system cache for Read Cache
Disable system cache for Read Ahead
It worked for me on UD5 with 2x Crucial M4 and sequential transfers went up by 150-200MB/s.

Test your array in ATTO and Crystal or AS SSD ( ATTO will always show higher max transfers but it's only sequential test ).

Where will I Enable system cache for Read Cache?
Where will I Disable system cache for Read Ahead?
When I setup bios, what should I choose for read procedure? Readahead or Readcache?

1) In Raid Bios For read procedure, should I choose ReadCahce or ReadTrough??
2) In Raid Bios For write procedure, should I choose WriteCache or WriteTrough??
3) For windows system settings, should I enable WriteCache in the system??
4) For windows system settings, should I enable "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing one the device"?
5) Should I enable NCQ?

Last edited:
1) In Raid Bios For read procedure, should I choose ReadCahce or ReadTrough??
2) In Raid Bios For write procedure, should I choose WriteCache or WriteTrough??
3) For windows system settings, should I enable WriteCache in the system??
4) For windows system settings, should I enable "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing one the device"?
5) Should I enable NCQ?

1) Read Ahead
2) Write Back
3) disabled for Read Ahead/Write Back
4) disabled for Read Ahead/Write Back
5) yes

( you can try 3/4 enabled and compare if it's faster or not but in my case was slower )

guide

990FX RAID 0

I am using GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 board and on it there is Marvell 88SE9172 Sata3 controller and SB950 controllers for Sata3. I want to setup raid 0. Which one should I prefer? Marvell new 88E9172 sata 3 controller or sb950 raid controller. I will use Corsair Force 3 Gt SSD for raid 0. On some site I see new Marvell 88SE9172 controller is pretty good but I need to learn if someone used it and experiences? Also some intel boards uses this new marvell chip.

The marvel sata ports support raid 0 and 1, the sb950 ports support 0,1,5,1+0. Either will work for a RAID 0. I would probably use the AMD ports personally.

But I tried to use AMD sata 3 controllers and I do not get good performance with AMD SB950 raid controller. Anyone tried Raid 0 with Marvell 88SE9172

what do you mean by not good performance? you should be able to get about 800mb/sec from the AMD ports.

On intel raid people are getting 1000mb read write speeds with the same ssd but on amd you say i should get 800 mb read write speed. Is that correct?

agulerer, I've merged your thread from the storage subforum into this one. In the future, please don't cross post; just try to choose the subforum that best fits. Thanks!

What ive seen from recent reviews of the ud7 and ch-V put it around 850mbps raid 0 on a pair of agility 3(or equivilent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back