• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, ASUS p8Z68 Deluxe memory issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilpancake

Ok so honestly i signed up for these forums because i'm going to tear my hair out (what hair i have left) because i'm getting very annoyed with this. I recently built a new system, ordered all my parts on the same day from NewEgg and put it together.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131753
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347

My issue is this, of my 16gb dimm set, i cannot get any of the dimms at all to work in the B1/B2 slots of the MB. If i have 1 or 2 in A1/A2 everything boots fine, if not, i get post code 45 with the mem light on

Now i have tried like everything. I've cleared the CMOS, i've updated the Bios to the newest one, I've pressed that MemOK button after every combination of dimms in the b1/b2 slots. I've played with the bios, enabling that XMP thing (in case you couldn't tell i don't know a ton about this stuff but am learning more than i ever wanted to as i go). I even RMA'd the board to New Egg and when i got the new board in, EXACTLY the same problem again.

The ASUS tech guy on the phone barely listened to me (i got 2 different people, neither was very helpful) and the first guy told me to RMA the board, which i did. The second says my ram is not on the QVL, which i thought it was but after checking again the numbers are close i just didn't notice that it really wasn't on there.

All i want is my 16gb of ram in a motherboard, i don't give a flying Frak which one it is, though after their service over the phone I'll never buy ASUS again.

If my ram was not compatible why would only b1/b2 not work, and a1/a2 function perfectly? That doesn't make any sense to me.

What are my options here? The QVL for this board just lists a bunch of 2gb dimms, i don't want 2gb, i want 4x4. Would it be easier to find a MB compatible with this ram? or get like a Gigabyte board and look at its QVL and find ram better supported for that one.

My concern about chosing new ram is like every QVL i look at for MB's lists all the 2gb ones and almost none list 4gb dimms. Am i missing something here or have QVL's just not been updated recently? My board even says it supports up to 32gb of ram, which ya...simple math, 4x2 =/= 36...

Sorry if i kind of went everywhere at once with this post, the more frustrated i get the faster my mind goes every direction and i'm just ready to say screw it and go all office space on my system and then on "Rafael" from ASUS...

XMP off works fine? Its probably just a BIOS issue to be honest. All XMP does is pre-define the RAM timings to which you can manually set. Note that I do not have XMP turned on

ya i didn't even know how to turn on XMP before i had this issue, default for this MB is off and i have 8gb in a1/a2 that are running right now perfectly fine with XMP off. This computer i'm on right now is the one i built...i just can't get my last 2 dimms in. If its a bios issue what should i do?

ya i didn't even know how to turn on XMP before i had this issue, default for this MB is off and i have 8gb in a1/a2 that are running right now perfectly fine with XMP off. This computer i'm on right now is the one i built...i just can't get my last 2 dimms in. If its a bios issue what should i do?

Shouldn't be a BIOS problem, perhaps your cpu is a dud? That or the RAM. I have the same board as you running 4x4 without issue

How do i tell? If the ram are duds then wouldn't they not work in a1/a2? I've thought about the CPU, I wonder if i can RMA it to newegg if i misplaced the packaging...

There are threads in other forums with same mem channel issue with that mobo, one was solved by reseating cpu, thought mount was too tight bending mobo, causing poor contact between some cpu pins and socket.

I saw this was your second board hence 2nd mount, though still may be worth a try to reseat cpu again, before rma.

How do i tell? If the ram are duds then wouldn't they not work in a1/a2? I've thought about the CPU, I wonder if i can RMA it to newegg if i misplaced the packaging...

Send it to Intel then

There are threads in other forums with same mem channel issue with that mobo, one was solved by reseating cpu, thought mount was too tight bending mobo, causing poor contact between some cpu pins and socket.

I saw this was your second board hence 2nd mount, though still may be worth a try to reseat cpu again, before rma.

^^ Ya that's what I was trying to get at. Ever since we've seen these LGA sockets this has been a problem since the core 2 duo days. I had a similar issue on an C2D board many days ago; ended up being the CPU mount

Back