• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me connect my fans !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philzzz

Registered
Hello,

This was my previous setup:

2 intake, 2 exhaust and 1 watercooler plugged into a 5-fan controller on the front of my tower (I have the H80 pump plugged directly in PSU, and the cpu_fan error ignored in bios).

Now I have just purchased the Sabertooth 990fx, whcih has 2 cpu_fans connectors, and I have just purchased another fan to add to my Watercooling in push/pull.

Should I connect all my fans into the motherboard and put aside my controller (i.e. keep my pump in drect PSU, put 2 push/pull fans in CPU_FAN & CPU_FAN-OPT, and have all other intakes/exhausts fans in CHA_FANs )??? Wouldnt having them into the motherboard allow them to auto ajust themselves and thus keep silent most of the time, instead of having me control them manually ?

Main question is : can I plug my 2 push/pull fans into the CPU_FAN connectors or will this mess things up ???? Because my Sabertooth only has 4 cha_fans and 2 cpu_fans connectors...

Thanks !

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

It depends on what fans we are talking about. If the fans are "common" case fans, with low amperages, you probably won't have a problem connecting two of them to a motherboard connector. But, if we are talking about big 38mm Nidecs, you probably won't want to connect them to your mobo.

The motherboard is usually neat, you can use ASUS' AiSuite FanXpert utility to create temperature-speed settings. But you'll lose the ability to set them up on the fly with a knob. Pick your poison!

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Hi,

my fans are as follow :

2 x 140mm push/pull on H80 rad
2 x 200mm intake
1 x 200mm exhaust
1 x 140mm exhaust

The thing is, with my controller, I didnt really take time to play with the kobs; i mostly left them at 90%... I am hoping that connecting them to the MOBO, this will make them used less when needed.

Could you please answer this question : Is it OK to plug my 2 push/pull H80 radiator fans to the 2 x CPU_FANs ?? Or will this be conflicting ? Thanks.

It is OK. I hardly think you're using high performance 38mm depth fans, so yes, it will do. Just remember to wire only 1 tachometer per connector.

Back