• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me troubleshoot my problem with NF7-S V2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lorinser75

Hey guys,
I need somebody to shed some light on me here,
I've been battling with this all night.
Let me first tell you my specs:

NF7-S V.2
XP2100+ AIUHB - With L12 Mod
Volcano 12
Merlin Bios D25 - Version 2D
Corsair value PC3200 2x256
160 gig Maxtor 8mb 7200 IDE
GIGABYTE fx5900xt
ANTEC SL400 PSU

My problem is I keep getting an error with P95 at 200x11 (1.85V) & 200x10 (1.85V). When I tried to do the memtest, It freezed on me after 5 min. So I tried another RAM, this time a single channel 512MB corsair value, put it on Slot#3, and damn everything went fine. I ran P95 for 4 hrs straight @200x11.5 (1.875) with no problem. Temp is fine @45 on load during p95. Even played with BIOS a little: CPU interface: disabled, FSB/DRAM: 6/6, and RAM set @Optimal & By SPD.

Any ideas what causing the instability with dual channel? I know I just got the ram & mobo from the forum. Could this be a mobo RAM slot issue or ram issue?

I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks guys

Try loosening the Timings of your main sticks of ram, and increasing the voltage going to the ram. Mabye the other single stick done not need as much voltage to function properly at those speeds.

Increase "Chipset voltage" see if it helps and do as suggested above by mudpark41.

Thanks for the response guys,
I tried increasing the voltage to the chipset & ram, but memtest still freeze, this time only about 2-3 min of running. The weird thing is that the single stick is the same brand of ram (a single Corsair 512 MB ram, instead of 2x256). I even tried diff slots 1&3, 2&3. Do you think the bios might have anything to do with this?

Lorinser, I can relate . . .
Mine ran great for three months and for some unknown reason just started locking up and doing other wierd stuff. Booting one morning and box pops up saying the CPU was not workable. ?? Still in BIOS phase of boot so knew box popping up triggered by the BIOS. I had not made any hdwre or sftwre changes nor changed anything whatsoever and I was baffeled because the CPU was workable for three months, so why all of a sudden NFG? I cleared CMOS and started over with default BIOS settings, but same lock ups and box saying CPU not workable.

I'm not one to flash BIOS just for the sake of flashing, but time for drastic action because I had been fighting it for three days and just about ready to can it. Went to ABIT website and dl'ed the flash utility done thru Windoze, followed directions and SHAZAM!, everything back to normal and running like a champ for three months now. What caused the BIOS to go kaflooey I shall never know, but obviously it did. I use a good battery back up so 'puter not subject to power source problems. I remember reading someplace, if during BIOS phase of booting you get hit with a power surge it could booger up the BIOS chip.

Did you try setting "Fail Safe Defaults" in the BIOS? Clear CMOS and don't do anything BIOS wise, just use default settings.

If a MB ain't happy with the RAM it can cause all sorts of wierd problems, but ABIT says your Corsair is good: http://www.abit-usa.com/memory/

"XP2100+ AIUHB - With L12 Mod"
Not familiar with L12 Mod but sure fire way to test your CPU is try another known good CPU and if that solves the problem then you have a conflict. DUH? Wish you had another CPU and RAM stick to try because that would remove doubt about either/or. Spare components are nice to have available when troubleshooting. Memtest is done thru DOS and freezing in DOS tells me for some reason DOS ain't happy. Is there any way you could get hold of another module to try in your rig?

Other than the above, sounds like you've done the numbers troubleshooting and I'd say time for a BIOS flash. Dl the flash utility, follow directions and piece of cake. Done while you are in Windoze and couldn't ask for easier. http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/

Before you begin the flash, make *DARN* sure you are connected to a battery back up because if there's a power surge or outage during the flash, instant BIOS chip disaster. Huney.

Last edited:
try getting the bios d27 taipan by merlin .. does wonders for nf7-s boards..

Hey guys

I think it was the ram that is causing the problem, bec. I bought a Kingston valueram DC, and everything was fine. Pass memtest86 with no errors after 2.5 hrs. My problem now is, it is still unstable with P95@11x200 @1.9V - Error in just 1 minute. I put the ram voltage at default. what do you think is the problem now? I'm started to think is the CPU, but XP2100+ aiuhb with L12 mod should be able to handle that right? I don't want to push the Vcore that much bec. of the cooling too.

Honeycutt, i think I'll follow your advice. I'm going to try to flash with a different bios and see how it goes. I might try D27 taipan bios like Ultra-DR mention. I'm not sure if that is going to help me, but I'll try and see if that help me.

If you guys have any other advice to solve my P95 unstability issue, please let me know. Thanks

Thanks again for all your help.

No problem Brother, like the Beatles sang, "I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends," and always proud to oblige another one of us OC'ing nerd-geeks. Old Hippie here and love good old rock n' roll. Saw Jimi Hendrix in concert in Tampa and WOW, spiritual experience.

BIOS: Well, we must do what we feel is right and I can't say yea or nay about the Tiapan BIOS because never used it, but I've seen lots of OC'ers brag on it so based on that I must assume it is good. However, if it were me, I'd do the ABIT update first and see if the BIOS is actually your problem and I bet a dollar to a doughnut, do the flash using the ABIT flash utility and it'll straighten out.

"If you guys have any other advice to solve my P95 unstability issue, please let me know." When my BIOS freaked it caused many wierd problems and your next step, flash yours and let's go from there. Hang in there Bro' because once you get that ABIT rockin' you'll be tickled with it. :attn: Huney.

PS Aggrivating as this is to you, you are learning and, at 64, I speak with some authority when I say, *IF* you are one who thirsts for knowledge, life is one, long, problem solving, learning process. And that doesn't apply just to 'puters and inanimate objects either . . . . ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Honeycutt :)
I think you're right, I might try the latest abit BIOS first, and see how it goes.
Man, luckily that abit flash utility is really handy :)

One more thing, I was looking around the forum, and I think I might have found the solution.

On the sticky thread "Solution to those runnin NF7 and cant get high fsbs", "emericana" put this link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...=&threadid=6934

In that forum, somebody is actually having problem with high FSB with L12 mod. So I might actually try to remove the L12 mod in my setup, and see how it goes. If it works, I'll definitely post my answer so other people might benefit from it

Thanks again everybody

If you have 2x256 and 1x512 i'd aim to use all three sticks and get them stable. 1gb is much better than 512mb!!

I have a similar configuration except my 512mb uses Hynix and my 2x256 are Samsung. Put the 2x256 in slot 1 and two slot 1 being nearest the cpu, and put the 512mb stick in slot three. You will now have dual channel enabled.

My setup is prime stable 12 hours no problems, although the 512mb didn't like 9 Tras and the 2x256mb didn't like 10 Tras - thankfully though they both like 11 Tras - I now have to use 3 4 4 11.

My settings in bios are 2.06vcore [1.98 actual], 2.6vdimm, 1.6vdd, 1.6agp. If I increase vdimm or vdd it is not stable - some RAM is definetely not happy with higher vdimm.

If that doesn't work I'd try testing each stick separately, I have baught sticks that have errors at default and had to take them back!!

"Put the 2x256 in slot 1 and two slot 1 being nearest the cpu, and put the 512mb stick in slot three. You will now have dual channel enabled."

I have three modules and didn't know it made a difference where the 512 stick goes, so thanks for the tip. I bought two 256 Kingston PC2700 Value RAM sticks at BestBuy on sale and a 512 from Crucial and never an issue with compatibility in any of the MB's I have in three other rigs. I heard Value RAM not good, but Kingston and Crucial approved by ABIT and they work fine for me. :attn: Huney.

Slot 1 and 2 are channel 1 and slot 3 is channel 2..

Yes 2700 runs at 166 I think, so anything higher than that is an overclock. The 512mb 3200 ought to do 200 no problems. What does the bios say for 'By Spd' for the 512mb. My 512mb on it's own wants to use 3 4 4 10 for by spd which is odd becuase it's supposed to be 3 4 4 8. But anyhow I used that 'By Spd' thing as an aid to guage what the RAM wanted to use and ended up with 3 4 4 11....

Back