• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me with my custom BUild up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pokerchachacha

Hey,

I decided to replace my old desktop with a High end performing machine. That is what i have in mind:

already bought: ( i live in europe, i will convert the prices from euro to us $, also please note europe is more expensive than the US.)

-G.Skill TridentX DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-2400, CL10 (Used on ebay: 130$ )

-Intel i7 4930k ( sealed ebay: 550 $ )

intending to buy:

-another G.Skill TridentX DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR3-2400, CL10 Set
(new 200$ ). Do i need 32gb of RAM? and can i mix it with the used ones already bought?

- 3072MB EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX Cooler Aktiv 03G-P4-2884-KR
( used on ebay, about 600$, seller says only used for videorendering for 4 weeks ....or better to buy new for 800$ ?? )

- Asus ROG Rampage IV Black Edition Intel X79 So.2011 Quad Channel DDR3 EATX Retail (New:500 $)

- 1000GB Samsung 840 Evo Series 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s TLC Toggle (MZ-7TE1T0BW)\
( ebay:sealed 450$ ....i know i could go RAID, but i need to be safe cause of my work.)

Whats missing still:

Case, PSU, and what cooling should i use? Anything else?

Would those components all fit well together and are those prices reasonable?
About the Case or PSU and cooling i really dont know at all.

What windows version would you recommend me? Anything else i need to consoder?

Thank you so much for your time, you guys are awesome.

PS: i tried to do a wishlist on newegg with all the components, might be easier for you. hope you can access it. thanks!

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=30433687

Well, 4930K out of the gate was overkill...(assuming a simple gaming type rig) but that being in your pocket..

1. Assuming you bought 4x4GB of the trident, that is plenty. If you are asking if you need 32GB, you likely don't. Buy it later if you find you do.

2. GPU is a fine choice new or used for 2560x1600 and lower resolutions..

3. Mobo is massive overkill. Its really made for extreme overclocking. Truth be told a board half that cost will be plenty for solid overclocking. For example, I got the X79 Gene for about half the cost of the RIV BE.

A. Water since you seem to plan on overclocking?
B. Fits, but what you are paying is not reasonable to me (can do just as well with lesser costing components)
C. Assuming single GPU a quality 600W PSU is plenty for that setup.
D. Windows is your choice. I prefer 7. Others 8.1. Others 8.1 that LOOKs like 7... LOL

Wow, looks like you are building a beast

Your case is kind of a pesonal prefrence, however take into consideration what type of cooling solution you will be using as I do not see it listed ? Make sure it will accomidate the entire build start to finish and at the same time supply all compenents with the required airflow they need to operate with in temprature parameters.

16 GB of 2400 C10 will be fine and more than you will ever use possibly

If you get a full warrenty with the ebay 780Ti then that is a no brainer, if not you have to ask yourself what the warrenty is worth to you

The board simply put is the best availible IMO, however that would be in terms of cold, ambient cooling I woiuld not shell out for that board baring it having some must have feature you really want. eVGA Dark comes to mind for $ 100.00 less AsRock also has a few boards that are worth a look, keep in mind temps will be your limiting factor baring buying a total POS board

I would save money on the SSD and go with one for a boot/favorite programs drive and round out with a huge spinner for bone yard duties

PSU, you have to ask yourself will you be doubleing down on the 780Ti in the future if yes look to at a top 1000W and if sure you will be rolling with one a top 750W

Just go with 8.1 I have it, it is not so bad for a gaming platform

Cooling will be something you will have to think about, it all boils down to how hard do you really want to pound it ?

Simple air , AIO or custom loop

sky is the limit along with budgetary concerns

Sorry I did not have time to link this up, but pehaps another member can fill in the blanks

Build looks to be beastly, look forward to seeing you put this together

i forgot to mention that my desktop will be used mostly for poker. I am running softwares which using postgreSQl ( i am a tech noob kinda, but i really need everything to be quick, saves me money at work) .

And only second for gaming or video rendering. but I want my desktop to be able to play all games for the next 5-6 years , that's why i am trying to go for high end components right now.

@ witchdoctor: i am sure it will only be one GPU so i will go for a 750W PSU .

If ya need the speed!

But, you can easily save a couple hundo on the board and getting a good 600w psu. I have a 4930k @ 4.5ghz and a 780ti HOF they barely pull 420w at the wall while folding on both cpu and gpu. 600-650 at the most for single gpu applications imo.

The system may last you five years but the GPU will only last you 3 or so before you see major reductions in the framerates you're able to get in new AAA titles.

I'd also like to point out that for the purposes you'll be using this PC for, a 4670K will be fine at a FRACTION of the cost of the IB-E cpu you wanted to get. Also, you can go with a $150 Z97-A board.

I have nothing against you spending $500 on a board and $500 on a cpu. I'm just saying that I wouldn't personally do it with my money and it's not necessary. Quad core is fine for the forseeable future.

How much system resources do you really think playing poker uses? My cousin plays 8 to 10 games at once on his old macbook. You don't need a monster machine. As far as playing games for 6 years its almost smarter to take the 800 dollars from the gpu and buy a 400 dollar gpu today and then buy another 400 dollar gpu in 2 and a half years.

The system may last you five years but the GPU will only last you 3 or so before you see major reductions in the framerates you're able to get in new AAA titles.

I'd also like to point out that for the purposes you'll be using this PC for, a 4670K will be fine at a FRACTION of the cost of the IB-E cpu you wanted to get. Also, you can go with a $150 Z97-A board.

I have nothing against you spending $500 on a board and $500 on a cpu. I'm just saying that I wouldn't personally do it with my money and it's not necessary. Quad core is fine for the forseeable future.

How much system resources do you really think playing poker uses? My cousin plays 8 to 10 games at once on his old macbook. You don't need a monster machine. As far as playing games for 6 years its almost smarter to take the 800 dollars from the gpu and buy a 400 dollar gpu today and then buy another 400 dollar gpu in 2 and a half years.

I also play about 10 tables or more too, and yes just that doesn't need much. But, it is software that need sth really fast. I got 4 software running at the same time (time mojo,tableninja, notecaddy and holdem manager 2).

Holdem manager 2 is reading and processing every hand you play, and i have been playing already more than 3 million hands in my life, so if i want to work on it, it need to be as quick as possible without any delays.

I often check my whole database, or the database from my opponents, to improve my game. Right now, it is horrible and costs me tons of money cause everything is far too slow.

So i really dont want to save on that point, unless you really say going for a cheaper CPU won't make a difference on the negative side.

About the GPU, well , i not a hardcore gamer, i would just sometimes, so i might be able to save here maybe. But doesn't a good GPU also effect the system to be faster somehow?

Also, i do live in Vietnam, so it is not so easy to upgrade later. I am planning to gather everything in Germany where my brother will ship it over to me then.

So, if you really say that i won't need my CPU i can go for the one you mentioned, but i need to be sure it wont affect my work. About the motherboard, people recommended me the black rampage and it has good reviews, but if you say it is an overkill, what people using it for?

here some links for the softwares:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1142/Holdem+Manager+2+Performance+&+Speed+Modifications

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/notecaddy/484842-notecaddy-performance-tweaks.html

There might be improvements on all softwares in the future or new ones coming out , also my database will just get bigger and bigger. I just need to be on the save side for the next 5-6 years at least.

Thank you so much

edit: I might want to connect my Desktop to my big Tv screen in the future, for either just gaming or both work and gaming. Right now i am connected to 2 24 inch screens. what do i need to consider here?

Last edited:
I also play about 10 tables or more too, and yes just that doesn't need much. But, it is software that need sth really fast. I got 4 software running at the same time (time mojo,tableninja, notecaddy and holdem manager 2).

Holdem manager 2 is reading and processing every hand you play, and i have been playing already more than 3 million hands in my life, so if i want to work on it, it need to be as quick as possible without any delays.

I often check my whole database, or the database from my opponents, to improve my game. Right now, it is horrible and costs me tons of money cause everything is far too slow.

So i really dont want to save on that point, unless you really say going for a cheaper CPU won't make a difference on the negative side.

I seriously doubt you need more than an i5. An i7 (mainstream) would be as high end as I would go. I think a 4670K or a 4770K and an ASUS Z97-A board will be fine for you for the next few years.

About the GPU, well , i not a hardcore gamer, i would just sometimes, so i might be able to save here maybe. But doesn't a good GPU also effect the system to be faster somehow?

No. A GPU only makes things faster when you're using it. Outside of GPU accelerated (ie, CUDA) applications and gaming, a GPU will not make your system faster. It will certainly not make it faster for your poker games, database checking, etc.

Also, i do live in Vietnam, so it is not so easy to upgrade later. I am planning to gather everything in Germany where my brother will ship it over to me then.

So, if you really say that i won't need my CPU i can go for the one you mentioned, but i need to be sure it wont affect my work. About the motherboard, people recommended me the black rampage and it has good reviews, but if you say it is an overkill, what people using it for?

Rampage IV is for extreme overclockers. People using dry ice and liquid nitrogen mainly. You can use it for an average air or water overclock but it is overkill. You can get by on the "gene" version of the board for half the price and get the same air overclocks you would have gotten on the RIV Extreme.

here some links for the softwares:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1142/Holdem+Manager+2+Performance+&+Speed+Modifications

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/notecaddy/484842-notecaddy-performance-tweaks.html

There might be improvements on all softwares in the future or new ones coming out , also my database will just get bigger and bigger. I just need to be on the save side for the next 5-6 years at least.

Thank you so much

edit: I might want to connect my Desktop to my big Tv screen in the future, for either just gaming or both work and gaming. Right now i am connected to 2 24 inch screens. what do i need to consider here?

You will need a video card with HDMI out to be able to output to your TV. Nvidia cards above a certain level all come with it. So if you got, for example, a GTX 760 2GB, it would include the HDMI port. Also 2 DVI ports for connecting to your monitors.

I think you should pick up an aftermarket cooler (such as an NHD14 from Noctua) for the CPU and overclock. It will give you free extra performance.

Back