• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me with my rig - QX9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jayare

Registered
I need some help with my rig. This is my first rig to OC and it's not working out for me yet. I would like to be around 4.0GHz - 4.2GHz I can get it to run at 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2.. But when it's time to prime I can't run it for more than 4hr. I would just like to have a stable computer already and by like looks of it I can't do it by myself. :bang head So now I’m in search for help!
What I’m working with.
EVGA - nForce 790i Ultra
Yorkfield - QX9650
OCZ - DDR3-1800 Platinum Edition | 4GB
EVGA – 9800 GTX | 3x
SILVERSTONE - ST1200
Koolance - Exos-2

Thanks to anyone that can help. -JR

What steps have you taken so far, and what methodology have you been using?

You'll want to overclock components individually. Keep your memory and fsb speeds at stock, and use your multiplier to overclock. Multi overclocking will take large jumps in mhz, so you could be changing the vcore frequently. Remember with every step of the multi, step the vcore in small increments to find a point where you can boot into your os. Then step the vcore until you find a proper stability point during your stress tests. Repeat that process until you find your max CPU overcock. Then, lower your multiplier very low, and begin overclocking memory and front side bus the same way.

Ok sweet I think I found my multipler 11.5x at 1.41 vcore. How long will I need to run Prime? 24hr?

Then, lower your multiplier very low, and begin overclocking memory and front side bus the same way.

How low 6x?

What would I do once I obtain this information?

Total stability varies from person to person. Run prime an hour or two longer than you'd ever game, or fold, or render, or whatever that is most taxing to the cpu.

6x should work, if you run into any problems with a multi that low, raise it a bit. Once you find your maximum memory and fsb overclock, use a multi that will keep you at or just under your maximum cpu overclock when multiplied against the MAX fsb. Some people overclock fsb and ram individually as well, and you may want to since you are using DDR3. You most likely wont have to raise memory voltage at all, just chipset voltage.

use a multi that will keep you at or just under your maximum cpu overclock when multiplied against the MAX fsb.

So you don’t think I’m going to see over 4.0GHz if all I can pull is 11.5x(3.8GHz)? Also what do you think is a safe 24/7 vcore on this 45nm?

So you don’t think I’m going to see over 4.0GHz if all I can pull is 11.5x(3.8GHz)? Also what do you think is a safe 24/7 vcore on this 45nm?

Well, that's up to you and the chip. What are your temperatures like at 3.8ghz and how much vcore are you using?

Yes and I didn't try anything over 1.5v(11.5x) I can't get in to os at 12x under 1.5v so I stopped trying.

Make sure you're not getting fooled by vdroop. Not sure how those nvidia chipsets are regarding that, but I usually have my vcore a bit higher to get the voltage I really wanted.

vdroop is the vcore getting decreased under load right? Of so then yes. Any way to work around this? I have all the power save stuff disable right now. So I can get this thing stable first.

Do you have all 3 GTX in, if so you'll need plenty of voltage on your MCH as the tri-SLI will tax that chipset.

Start of with a lower multi, say 10 x 380, once you get over 4 Ghz then us the higher multis

What would I do to fix this?

Must I have a DRAM:FSB ratio of 2:1(DDR3) for this to be stable?

PS: Thanks a lot for all the help up to this point.

Thats a little extreme for my first OC rig. Just trying to effectively OC this.

vdroop is the vcore getting decreased under load right? Of so then yes. Any way to work around this? I have all the power save stuff disable right now. So I can get this thing stable first.

Step the voltage in the smallest increment available and try to compensate for droop.

Back