• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help - P5K Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ididmytime

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience in trying to overclock a q6600 with this board? here are the current issues I am running into.

q6600 at 3.2ghz via 355fsb x9 is absolutely fine, however I am running into huge problems if I go over this. I understand the board is notorious for the double reboot which is fine, however my board is doing the following.

Anything above 355ish, sometimes the post graphics will be scrambled, but will still boot into windows, other times it will keep resetting on the post logo over and over, sometimes, I will not get a screen at all, and it will turn off and on again, it will EVENTUALLY get into Windows... sometimes.

From Windows, if you restart the machine, instead of a simple restart, the PC will instead shut down... and boot again 5 seconds later, again doing the whole thing of having problems getting into Windows.

I have tried 400x8, and its similar, although it seems ok on a cold boot.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi and :welcome:

Tell us a little more about your system, like memory spec and power supply spec.

Have you adjusted the memory divider or any voltages yet?

Hi and :welcome:

Tell us a little more about your system, like memory spec and power supply spec.

Have you adjusted the memory divider or any voltages yet?

Yes, on reflection, it was probably better to paste my specs in that last post, sorry.

P5K vanillia
Crosair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz 4gb (2x2)
PSU shouldn't be an issue, as its 700w and has decent amperage on the dual rails.

I have manually entered the ram timings, as well as the voltages.

As mentioned before, I can run the ram at 800mhz via 400fsb with the 8 multiplier, but it still seems dodgy, however, once in Windows its absolutely fine.

What voltages have you changed other than DRAM and what are all the values? Here's a few important settings that come to mind (at 355FSB x 9).

FSB:
CPU voltage :
FSB Termination voltage:
DRAM Voltage:
NB Voltage:
DRAM:FSB ratio:

Also what is your CPU's VID? I use CoreTemp to monitor temperatures and determine VID. Careful on the install, I think they added a Toolbar and/or some other Crapware to their installer. All you need is CoreTemp.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience in trying to overclock a q6600 with this board? here are the current issues I am running into.

q6600 at 3.2ghz via 355fsb x9 is absolutely fine, however I am running into huge problems if I go over this. I understand the board is notorious for the double reboot which is fine, however my board is doing the following.

Anything above 355ish, sometimes the post graphics will be scrambled, but will still boot into windows, other times it will keep resetting on the post logo over and over, sometimes, I will not get a screen at all, and it will turn off and on again, it will EVENTUALLY get into Windows... sometimes.

From Windows, if you restart the machine, instead of a simple restart, the PC will instead shut down... and boot again 5 seconds later, again doing the whole thing of having problems getting into Windows.

I have tried 400x8, and its similar, although it seems ok on a cold boot.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Most of those symptoms can be symptoms of the PSU exceeding the watt limit.

And if such option in the BIOS, set the PCI-E clock option to 100 Mhz.

PSU may be a falsely labelled POS.

I would try to drop cpu ratio to x6, FSB to 400+, NB voltage( MCH or whatever it's called in this BIOS ) and FSB voltage bump by 0.1-0.2V, memory ratio set to 1:1 ( so for 400MHz FSB you get 400MHz memory / DDR2-800 ) and check if it's booting like that. If all is starting but cannot enter windows then try some higher NB/FSB voltage or different FSB:MEM ratio.
This setup should run at least till about 430-450MHz FSB.

Back