• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! Removing HSF from radeon 9700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathknight

Ok I am trying to remove the HSF from my radeon 9700. I popped it in the freezer and slid a credit card under the hsf and then used a screw driver in between the hsf and the credit card to pry it apart.

My question is this. There are 2 pins that go through the card that are holding it down. How are these removed? Do I need to squeeze the tips of these to slide them back through the card. From what I can see it doesn't look as if these tips could squeeze together but I am being cautious because I am not even sure that this is the correct method to remove them.

Thanks in advance!

Deathknight said:

. There are 2 pins that go through the card that are holding it down. How are these removed? Do I need to squeeze the tips of these to slide them back through the card. From what I can see it doesn't look as if these tips could squeeze together but I am being cautious because I am not even sure that this is the correct method to remove them.

Thanks in advance!

Yes squeez the ends to get them to come out, after that use a screw driver or credit card to get the HSF separated.
Rob

Great thanks! The rods seem to be not quite round shaped at the tips. Do I squeeze at the widest point I assume?

Actually I gave up on it as I had alot of other stuff to get done today and I had wasted a good deal of time.

I agree this thing is crazy hard to get off. I mean I knew going in that every other card I have messed with you squeeze the tip and off it comes but man this thing doesn't even look like it could be compressed. My needlenose plyers were friggin bending and it would not budge at all!

Back