• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please recommend for WEB SERVER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tapash

Hi All
Nice to be in this forum. :)
I am planning to build a web server for my home office. it will be solely used for web hosting on UBUNTU LAMP server. 5-10 Users(max) will be using the server simultaneously. I have googled a lot but cant really find the answer I need.

I am really confused about what CPU should I buy, SERVER or DESKTOP for my specific uses? I want to go for something small form factor, I have thought about the following items

Core i5-3570
Gigabyte mini ITX Motherboard
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
256 SSD

Please feel free to make comments and suggest... I am open to any ideas..

All that is extremely overkill for what you want to do. Realistically, something like a raspberry pi or more powerful ARM-based board would work for that number of users.

Oh Really!!!? I already have a Synology DS412+ which can also server as WEBSERVER. But Whenever I install and run drupal (based on Apache & Mysql) from it, the CPU goes to 100%. I am talking about 1 user. I cant even think of how a raspberrypi can do that job for 5-10 connection at a time? Of course I would want the server to run fast and smooth...

what kind of web traffic will it be handling? what kind of pages? php? what kind of scripts will be running? you could need anything from what operant was saying to an i-3 to keep it smooth but anything beyond that is overkill.

i run a forum page from a 2.8ghz celeron single core socket 478 i normally only have one or two people on it, each page load brings it to ~30-50% usage but that is also handling the sql database and generating the php pages.

edit: yea running a website from a nas is not ideal.

ok, Here is what I will be doing:

Runing Drupal CMS on Mysql, Apache, PHP, Jquery. On drupal I will be running a CRM database for my business as well. Simultaneous no of users aceessing database will be 5-10.

in that case the SSD is a good idea. maybe the whole first build was a good idea. dem sql databases need the drive throughput and the php can get pretty taxing with alot of usage.

alright, a little more power is going to be needed than a raspberry pi then. Since it' s business related and stability/speed is most likely very important, a low cost i3 would handle that. A small SSD is also a nice option as well permitting the database can't be loaded into ram and then periodically mirrored onto a HDD. If you want to go the SSD route, then the main factor will be how large it needs to be to handle all of your data. I've run drupal with a minimal CMS on little hardware but I've never dealt with a CRM DB so I can't comment from that standpoint.

Many thanks to Operant & wagex for your input.

One more question is keep coming in my mind, since you have already mentioned, what will be the best way to backup the server, in case of hardware failure to keep the server downtime less possible?

ok, Here is what I will be doing:

Runing Drupal CMS on Mysql, Apache, PHP, Jquery. On drupal I will be running a CRM database for my business as well. Simultaneous no of users aceessing database will be 5-10.

I recommend you build a system with ECC memory. This means intel xeon or amd (non a-series) and an asus mb.

You want ecc to prevent errors from corrupting your database. It isn't a big deal for just serving web pages, but it looks like your data integrity is important.

Back