• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor ATI - R600 doomed from the start (8800GTX still king)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odditory

Registered
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7052

It seems my theories posted in a few other forums are slowly becoming true and now I must say "i told you so" - that the reason ATI's been delaying and delaying the R600 based line pulling the 'no comment' in interviews, pulling out of a trade-shows last-minute after they'd pre-announced the presence of the R600 there, etc. is because they KNEW internally that their highest-spec incarnation of the R600 built in the lab, the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX (which will never be mass-produced anyway due to being too expensive due to parts like 1gb GDDR4, etc.) was still no match for the 8800GTX - and by a wide margin. I can't say I feel sorry for all the fence-sitters that gave crap to 8800GTX adopters and wagged their fingers that the R600 was coming like the grim reaper for Nvidia.

Even worse news for ATI ofcourse is that Nvidia ALREADY has an "8800 Ultra" offering ready to drop, not to mention the 8900/8950 GT and GTX cards right after if/when they need to.

So, one hell of a combined company, that ATI+AMD, isn't it: ATI, clearly set to be in Nvidia's shadow for at least another 12 months while they kick their engineers in the *** and figure out where to go from here, and AMD, the company in Intel's shadow for the last 9 months and probably the next 12 months due to the amazing price/performance of the Core 2 Conroe/Kentsfield and soon Penryn and various other offerings.

So, it wont be long now for heaven to arrive: Crysis running on SLI'd Nvidia 8xxx cards on top of Core 2 Conroe/Kentsfield/Penryn chips with native 1333FSB chipset (Bearlake or whatever).

Good times!

-Odditory

man what you just said is todally what i am thinking... i loved the people that were like oooo the R600 is like twice the gtx... AMAZING wording there, amd is just diggin them selves a deeper and deeper hole.

Hm, thats only one report though.. But... it would explain a great many things.. Im happy with a 7600GT though.. It does my bidding.

It's kind of sad that Nvidia and Intel will have no real competition for the next year or so. I have a feeling that nothing is going to get much faster or much cheaper for some time to come due to zero competition.

I really hope that ATI+AMD get there stuff together and come out with good products. One of the last examples of this happening was with the Netburst architecture in the P4's, Intel drove the technology into the ground with very little advances in new technology as opposed to the new C2D.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Hm, thats only one report though.. But... it would explain a great many things.. Im happy with a 7600GT though.. It does my bidding.

ya problem is Amd/Ati admitted that the rd600xt (x2900xt) wouldnt be as powerful as the 8800gts themselves.

Said this over at TG Forumz. The guys over at AMD must be crapping bricks to see that their next gen baby is steamrolled by the 8800GTX. I kinda wonder though if the benchmarks are true and not some driver error somewhere. I want to wait for Guru 3D, HardOCP and Tom's Hardware to test them before I pass judgment.

odditory said:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7052

It seems my theories posted in a few other forums are slowly becoming true and now I must say "i told you so" - that the reason ATI's been delaying and delaying the R600 based line pulling the 'no comment' in interviews, pulling out of a trade-shows last-minute after they'd pre-announced the presence of the R600 there, etc. is because they KNEW internally that their highest-spec incarnation of the R600 built in the lab, the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX (which will never be mass-produced anyway due to being too expensive due to parts like 1gb GDDR4, etc.) was still no match for the 8800GTX - and by a wide margin. I can't say I feel sorry for all the fence-sitters that gave crap to 8800GTX adopters and wagged their fingers that the R600 was coming like the grim reaper for Nvidia.

Even worse news for ATI ofcourse is that Nvidia ALREADY has an "8800 Ultra" offering ready to drop, not to mention the 8900/8950 GT and GTX cards right after if/when they need to.

So, one hell of a combined company, that ATI+AMD, isn't it: ATI, clearly set to be in Nvidia's shadow for at least another 12 months while they kick their engineers in the *** and figure out where to go from here, and AMD, the company in Intel's shadow for the last 9 months and probably the next 12 months due to the amazing price/performance of the Core 2 Conroe/Kentsfield and soon Penryn and various other offerings.

So, it wont be long now for heaven to arrive: Crysis running on SLI'd Nvidia 8xxx cards on top of Core 2 Conroe/Kentsfield/Penryn chips with native 1333FSB chipset (Bearlake or whatever).

Good times!

-Odditory

I dont have a problem buying from either company, I do however agree with fence sitting and finger wagging parts completely and It makes me laugh my *** off. OMFGZ NV nOES I must BuYS ATIS LOLS hahahhahaha

I wish nVidia would come out with a folding client. As it is I am still slating myself to move to a x19*0 XTX simply because of that. This 7800GT I have is a dream for what I do, but it can't run folding which is something I would find far more useful :). Oh well such is life. Who knows maybe they will get it together and come up with something with stanford.

As for 8800, I have some friends that have them and I am impressed. Its a great card if you want the best :).

~jtjuska

Like others said, I'm waiting for more to be released. This seems strange...

Thanks for the read though, if anyone finds anything more about it, we will know quickly!:santa:

Hardin said:
Do we really need 3 threads about this?
No, but the nVidia fans show their' shine.

People have to remember...
There are NO accurate r600 benchmarks, period.
Hell, I'm rarely even seeing benchmarks with the 8800GTX and GTS where they should be, thanks to the reviewer not eliminating every bottleneck.
There are NO fully functional drivers, most who actually have the R600 are either using the shotty alphas, reference device drivers, or are using the newer Cat's; last I checked, even the release drivers will hinder the R600's performance.
I won't even bother considering benchmarks... accurate ones are an absolute rarity until the product actually comes out.

What really has my eye is the fact that the 2900 is slated to be a much better "bang for your buck", something which I really like since I'm not willing to pay a huge amount of money for anything that does not perform well for what I paid.

/waiting for 65nm

Dont you love slanted reviews :)

The article pits an overcloxked GTX against a stock XTX and reports that nVidia is still king.

(For the record, I think that since we had to wait almost 6 months for the 2900 to come out... it should beat teh overclocked GTX at stock speeds... but thats just me)

Right now I'm gonna agree with the OP almost totally, but I also agree with what J-Sap said. If ATI/AMD don't keep up, Intel and nVidia are gonna be the ones who decide the price of your next rig. Without competition, why would they keep their prices low? You need to buy from them anyway, so what do they care if you think the prices are high?

I support Intel and nVidia above ATI/AMD, but without an opposing producer, any company would do the same; raise prices and go nowhere with progress.

reclaimer122 said:
Right now I'm gonna agree with the OP almost totally, but I also agree with what J-Sap said. If ATI/AMD don't keep up, Intel and nVidia are gonna be the ones who decide the price of your next rig. Without competition, why would they keep their prices low? You need to buy from them anyway, so what do they care if you think the prices are high?

I support Intel and nVidia above ATI/AMD, but without an opposing producer, any company would do the same; raise prices and go nowhere with progress.
Exactly.. All this price dropping by Intel is good for us but I really hope that Amd comes out swinging sometimes soon. We do not need to leave Intel or nvidia without competition.:(

OMG did no one read my post... Nvidia has competition. They just need to keep working out the drivers on the 2900's. The 2900xt has potential. The problems with aa and af will be compensated for.

The 2900XT has alot of potential in it. Drivers for now are key with plenty of room to OC the card its a great feeling even on stock cooling.

Go read some of the threads in the ATI section. I'm not disappointed in my card one bit its going to land between the GTS and GTX nicely performance wise and maybe get the GTX in some cases.

Overall Id say if you have a fast CPU and can OC the card nicely its a good pick.

Back