• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor ATI - R600 doomed from the start (8800GTX still king)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power consumption... Power Consumption... Power Consumption... and noise. :)

I think even the 2900XTX may use less power than the 2900XT. They'll have figured out 65nm by then, and all the future cards (2600, 2400) seem to work well on low wattage. Heat also seems to be a bit of an issue with the 2900XT.

I'm happy the damned card at least works though. It does indeed seem to have potential, though I find some of the benchmarks I've seen (synthetic vs. actual ingame) to be rather questionable.

Once they drop down to the same price of the 8800GTS 640 (which I just paid $325 for) NVIDIA will have some stiff competition. But right now ATI is continually shooting itself in the foot. Everyone can use NVIDIA beta drivers, but ATI beta drivers are a closely guarded secret. They could also do a bit more to promote the cards.

I don't know. Here's hoping the next series will be okay and they get the drivers for this one worked out. I was thinking of building a server system anyway and I wouldn't mind throwing one of the low wattage 2600 or 2400 chips on it.

I don't really care about silly fan antics. Not too long ago the situation was reversed and the whining and jeering were the same. Just get what works for you and realize whatever you buy will be replaced sooner or later with something else, and it may not be from the same company. I don't think any of those firms have paid me to suck up to them and their products.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/507/3/

ATIMD is short of dev's now, and drivers wont save them. NV has the manpower to have multiple dev teams and are NOT short on cash. they can afford to make mistakes and scrap ideas. ATI cannot. they need to get it right each time...this time they didn't. if you think drivers will save them well, I think only ViperJohn can save them. They should hire him as he seems to get the most out of any card. heck, he can make a 7300GT faster than most cards. Their lack of funds has hurt their development to the point they are now well behind both Intel and NV who both if I had to bet have answers for anything ATIMD has to come and then some. Drivers cannot save a design. NV tried it and even most sites say NV has the upper hand in IQ which ATI held for the last few generations at least. Lets hope that they get on track. i like ATI, loved their cpu's and cards, but the merger was a huge mistake. Should have been a partnership. ATI had themselves doing fine up untill this mess, all we can hope is that possibly a gen or 2 from now they will straighten it out because both NV and Intel smell blood, and that does not bode well for a struggling company whose releases are late and when released are less than stellar. 8800Killer turned out to be an 8800 wannabe. NV owns this gen and most likely the next as well. God forbid NV and Intel join in any sense that would allow Nv to run SLI on Intel boards. That may well be the nail that gives AMD septic shock.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40123
And now if this is true, Intel has just made it possible to have SLI on just about any board (Unless ATI chooses to block on theirs), This will hurt ATIMD again as previously only crossfire worked on Intel chipsets without hacked drivers of course. I believe I said this in another post, but to reiterate myself, NV and Intel smell blood. They will not take this time to slack off. They know the potential ATIAMD has if it can get its act together. Their common goal would be to get AMD to the point where they have to spin ATI off again or worse.... the worse the better for them. Right now is the most buddy buddy you will ever see NV and Intel... Both aiming all their respective weapons against a common opponent. A partnership that went merget over time would have been much better. Like google keeps sneaking up on MS. Instead, they crowed about it and forced the monsters to fully awaken.

Back