• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor Overclock on FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cnewton2k

System setup is this

Asus M5A97 PRO - BIOS 1604
AMD FX 8350
ATI 6950
12GB Memory @ 1333
CoolerMaster 650W
Corsair H60

Now here is the problem, previous to this i had been running the 8120 and had it clocked to 4.1Ghz without a problem.

Put this chip in today and it wont OC at all, i can get it to 4.3Ghz but nothing more all all. It crashes Prime95 and i get those illegal sumout on 4 of the cores and then it locks up.

I have increases the volts on 1.45 to try and make it stable but nothing!

Has anyone else had a problem with this motherboard?

Can anyone think of anything else i could try?

Cheers :)

At some stable speed; do as outlined below to get us on the same page and get better view inside your rig.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

CPU Tab

CPU.png

Memory Tab

memory.png

SPD Slots

slot1spd.png

slot2spd.png

slot3spd.png

slot4spd.png

CPU HW Mon - Idle - Just finished install CS6

HWMon.png

Load

UNDERLOAD.png

Prime95

prime.png

As you can see within minutes cores 6,7,8 all failed how ever the system didnt crash

Its is currently running at 4.3Ghz i am unable to get anything out of it!

Adjust for test without SO many variables...

Thinking out loud.

1. Did you flash to the 1604 Bios after you installed the FX-8350? I ask because if you flashed after the FX-8350 was installed then that means an 'earlier' bios would work. The very latest bioses on older boards are making for some problems. They may fix it 'later' but right now if that cpu was booting with an older bios, I would return to an older bios like the 1007, 1102 or the 1208. Maybe even later but not the 1604 if you in fact flashed the 1604 "after" the cpu was installed.

2. ON a hunch since we are speaking to things that can cause issues with an overclock, I would remove the 2x2Gig sticks for the time being. Ensure that the two 4 gig sticks are in the correct slots for 2 stick dual channel mode. This is a temporary thing we hope.

3. Okay am going to name off some settings in bios I would disable also for testing. 1) Turn off C1E 2) Turn off Cool N Quiet 3) Turn off C6 4) Turn off Turbocore 5) Turn off APM.

4. In Windows power management set to "performance mode". Again for testing. I swap mine back and forth between and 'adjusted' balanced mode and performance mode as the usage dictates.

5. Your MAX cpu voltage of 1.38 Volts seems a little low. I would adjust to where the Vcore is about 1.4/1.425V under load and make sure you are monitoring "package" and CPU Temps under load with HWMonitor.

6. I would adjust CPUNB voltage to 1.225/1.250 volts to ensure there is enough voltage there for stability. Those are by NO means higha by AMD standards.

7. I would adjust ram voltage to 1.55V as that little increase may ensure stability and in NO way should be harmful to the ram. Run that 1.55 on my Gskil DDR1866 all the time. FYI.

8. I would use the Bios settings to make your HT Freq which is showing as 2408Mhz in CPUz > Cpu Tab as Rated FSB.

9. Then I would use Bios settings to make your CPUNB Freq that 2408 or close as most of the better Asus AMD 990 boards can make that happen easily. Currently CPUNB is shown at 2207Mhz.

10. After all the adjusting above and test run, you might just try bumping the CPU Freq AKA FSB to 205 and that will be just slightly over 4.4Ghz and test. Sometimes that FSB bump works better than just an overclock on the Multiplier Only.

Okay just loose ends. Your temps look fine for now. I would not like to see more than 70c on the CPU Temp. I would not like to see more than 60c on that "package" temp which is the old CPU Core Temp read out.

Those workers dropping off are more than likely CPU Voltage too low for the Cpu speed. That is why I suggested you raise to 1.4-1.425 "under load". It could take more Vcore even as every cpu is different for SURE. With temps in the 'safe' zone, you could conceivably run 1.525V on the cpu so 1.45V if it takes it to hit 4.4Ghz is not exorbitant.

My CHV board will allow me to choose a CPU LLC 'setting' that will reduce my cpu voltage drop under load to about NO voltage drop. Not sure how the Cpu LLC works on that PRO board.

In essence by my typing, I am trying to adjust your mobo to the same 'relative' settings I use on my CHV with my FX-8120 since they should be dang close. The cpus changed some in Vishera versions but not that much. Good luck man.

Thinking out loud.

1. Did you flash to the 1604 Bios after you installed the FX-8350? I ask because if you flashed after the FX-8350 was installed then that means an 'earlier' bios would work. The very latest bioses on older boards are making for some problems. They may fix it 'later' but right now if that cpu was booting with an older bios, I would return to an older bios like the 1007, 1102 or the 1208. Maybe even later but not the 1604 if you in fact flashed the 1604 "after" the cpu was installed.

2. ON a hunch since we are speaking to things that can cause issues with an overclock, I would remove the 2x2Gig sticks for the time being. Ensure that the two 4 gig sticks are in the correct slots for 2 stick dual channel mode. This is a temporary thing we hope.

3. Okay am going to name off some settings in bios I would disable also for testing. 1) Turn off C1E 2) Turn off Cool N Quiet 3) Turn off C6 4) Turn off Turbocore 5) Turn off APM.

4. In Windows power management set to "performance mode". Again for testing. I swap mine back and forth between and 'adjusted' balanced mode and performance mode as the usage dictates.

5. Your MAX cpu voltage of 1.38 Volts seems a little low. I would adjust to where the Vcore is about 1.4/1.425V under load and make sure you are monitoring "package" and CPU Temps under load with HWMonitor.

6. I would adjust CPUNB voltage to 1.225/1.250 volts to ensure there is enough voltage there for stability. Those are by NO means higha by AMD standards.

7. I would adjust ram voltage to 1.55V as that little increase may ensure stability and in NO way should be harmful to the ram. Run that 1.55 on my Gskil DDR1866 all the time. FYI.

8. I would use the Bios settings to make your HT Freq which is showing as 2408Mhz in CPUz > Cpu Tab as Rated FSB.

9. Then I would use Bios settings to make your CPUNB Freq that 2408 or close as most of the better Asus AMD 990 boards can make that happen easily. Currently CPUNB is shown at 2207Mhz.

10. After all the adjusting above and test run, you might just try bumping the CPU Freq AKA FSB to 205 and that will be just slightly over 4.4Ghz and test. Sometimes that FSB bump works better than just an overclock on the Multiplier Only.

Okay just loose ends. Your temps look fine for now. I would not like to see more than 70c on the CPU Temp. I would not like to see more than 60c on that "package" temp which is the old CPU Core Temp read out.

Those workers dropping off are more than likely CPU Voltage too low for the Cpu speed. That is why I suggested you raise to 1.4-1.425 "under load". It could take more Vcore even as every cpu is different for SURE. With temps in the 'safe' zone, you could conceivably run 1.525V on the cpu so 1.45V if it takes it to hit 4.4Ghz is not exorbitant.

My CHV board will allow me to choose a CPU LLC 'setting' that will reduce my cpu voltage drop under load to about NO voltage drop. Not sure how the Cpu LLC works on that PRO board.

In essence by my typing, I am trying to adjust your mobo to the same 'relative' settings I use on my CHV with my FX-8120 since they should be dang close. The cpus changed some in Vishera versions but not that much. Good luck man.

Definitly this run first. Make sure you've carefully read this post-- it is golden.

I'd like to add that every FX-83xx I've worked with (five now) required an increase to CPU-PLL in order to get a stable OC at higher frequencies. Turn LCC to "High" at first (Can go up to Extreme, really all this does is add some more voltage) and turn your CPU-PLL up to 2.565 for a starter. The 8350 I have requires 2.585 at 4.8 and 2.695 at 5.1 in order to hold stability, or an even larger v-core jump..

Edit: A single "Bump" to NB voltage and a V-core of 1.425 or 1.450 should net you stability at 4.4 GHz, especially if you give PLL a bump to 2.515-2.565 as well.

These are a bit weird to OC, but good luck :D

@ Anonaru, CPU PLL Voltage adjusts voltage to the clock multiplier circuit inside the CPU. That might be why the FX series seems to overclock better with FSB and multiplier. The CPU PLL voltage should be raised to withstand the higher multipliers.

Good find on that raising VDDA aka CPU PLL on FX processor. I have seen it mentioned one other time. I used to up it all the time as a matter of course since it did not raise temps noticeably anyway. Then went to Intel thru the 775/1366 socket and now back doing some AMD stuff.

hey

after following this i got to 4.5Ghz

Not to bad really, just wish the OC was like my 8120 i got that stable at 4.1Ghz!!!!

hey

after following this i got to 4.5Ghz

Not to bad really, just wish the OC was like my 8120 i got that stable at 4.1Ghz!!!!

4.5 is a pretty decent OC, I don't think you'd pass 4.6 on an H60. You also won't notice much in the way of performance gain beyond that-- Congrats on getting this far :D

For the life of me I do not understand what you have written.

You write >> after following this i got to 4.5Ghz

Then you write >> Not to bad really, just wish the OC was like my 8120 i got that stable at 4.1Ghz!!!!

According to what you write you now have 4.5Ghz stable or so it seems and you had the FX-8120 stable at only 4.1Ghz. What is not to like about 4.5Ghz being faster than 4.1Ghz? Odd way of expressing the situation.

Back