• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible bad memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

Every time I move my comp I have to take out one RAM chip and put it back in to get proper boot. The machine will turn on for a few seconds and then shut down, turn on then shut down repeatedly. I don't have the system speaker connected because apparently my case does not have one so I do not know what the beeps are. To get it going I take out one RAM chip, start, boot to windows and shutdown. Then I put the second chip back in and everything works fine. This only seems to happen when I transport the machine, i.e.- over to GFs house so I can game while she plays sheepville or whatever....

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

-Ross

That's weird. Doesn't seem like the memory is bad, but the easy way to tell is to run memtest.

I'd try a BIOS update first, as memory compatibility can be a common improvement with BIOS updates.

Then run the memtest.

And also possibly check settings - make sure the ram is set for rated timings and voltages. Sometimes the bios doesn't get it right.

System specs may not be relevant, but always good to see in case research turns up some sort of common issue with your motherboard or something.

Connect a system speaker because its diagnostic beeps can be very helpful.

You're going through a lot of trouble by removing just one RAM chip, which requires unsoldering it. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to deal with whole RAM modules instead? :D

I'd disconnect the power from the hard disk because there's no need for it during testing.

The power shutting down in seconds indicates a short, but some motherboards will shut down if they detect an overheated CPU (often from poor contact with the heatsink) or stalled CPU fan. The most common shorts are between the motherboard and case, usually around one of the mounting holes (electrically insulate with fiber washers on top or bottom, as needed) or at a corner (attach rubber stick-on bumper to case there). Was the motherboard installed over brass standoffs, rather than directly against the case? Almost all cases require those standoffs. However you don't want any extra standoffs under the motherboard because they'll short to it or even crush tiny components there.

While you have the motherboard removed, look at the solder joints of the DIMM sockets with a magnifying glass and strong light because one may be cracked. It can be fixed with a 40 watt iron and some rosin flux. A less powerful iron probably won't help and may actually cause more heat damage because it won't melt the solder quickly. YouTube has some soldering tutorials.

Check inside the DIMM sockets for bent contacts that may be shorting together or any debris in there. Hold the motherboard upside down and tap on the back to remove debris.

Have you tried the memory modules in another motherboard? If that's not possible, get 8 spring-loaded clothespins and attach one over the middle of each RAM chip. If that makes the problem disappear, most likely a RAM chip came unsoldered, probably thanks to a heatsink attached to it with double-stick tape (pulls chips when module is pressed into socket).

Back