• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible CPU issues - Need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unleashed5123

GPU: GeForce GTX 970
CPU: AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Memory:8.00GB RAM
All drivers are up to date on GPU.

I really don't want to pay for a diagnostics on my computer so I'm trying to reach out to the community to see if I could get some help! I have been having some issues with playing certain games. Sometimes they will run without any issues and sometimes it will freeze up and my screen goes black. When that happens, it says on my monitor that there is no "device" detected. As if it wasn't hooked up to my tower....Ive up graded my graphics card and I am now wondering if my CPU is the problem. No, I have not over clocked my CPU but I have increased the fan speed which seems to help sometimes....Any ideas on what I can do? Any help at all would be awesome! Thank you!

What is the make and model of the case and tell us about the case fans. Sounds like you might have an overheating problem of some kind. Is this a custom built computer or a massed produced OEM unit like from HP or Dell? Tell us where the case fans are located and how large they are (80mm? 92mm? 120MM?). Tell us how many are pushing air into the case (intake fans) and how many are exhausting air out of the case?

The psu question is quite valid... please list it and your motherboard so we have a good idea of what you are working with. Also what trents asked. :)

What are your temperatures on the cpu and gpu? Have you tried updating drivers or rolling back? What troubleshooting steps have you taken already so we don't ask those questions?

Motherboard is pretty outdated I think. It's an asus m5a97 le r2.0.
Top : 120 mm fan mount x 2
Front : 120 mm fan mount x 2 / 1 x 140 mm fan supported
Rear : 120 mm fan x 1
Bottom : 120 mm fan mount x 1
Side : 120 mm fan mount x 2
Internal : 120 mm fan mount x 1
I'm not sure where I can find out if there are bringing air in our taking heat out...I had a friend help me put this computer together about 2 years ago. As far as drivers go, I know my graphics card is up to date and I have not tried rolling them back.

Sounds like you have good case ventilation. But what are you cooling the CPU itself with? Are you using the OEM cooler it came boxed with. And after two years, if you have not cleaned it out I would hazard to guess the heatsink is clogged with dust. I blow mine out every few months.

But do this: Download and run HWMonitor (non pro version). Have it open while you run a game. Then do a screen capture of the HWMonitor user interface so we can check your temps. Attach the capture with your next post using the built-in forum tool which can be accessed by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window.

No, we need a picture, not a text file. Do know how to do screen captures? See my example. What was your maximum package temp in HWMonitor when gaming?

Attachments

• Temps.JPG
    Temps.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 60
The most important part, the temps for the video card, are not in view at the bottom. Could you try that again? Scroll the HWMonitor user interface so we can see the GPU temps. And by the way, we don't need a screen capture of your whole display. Crop it before you attach it. Snipping tool is great for this and it's built into Windows. Other temps look good. Remember, we want temps while you are playing games, not idle temps.

As a side note, if you want to only capture the active window on your desktop, make sure it is 'active'(on top) and hit alt+prtscn. Then when you paste in paint, its only the active window that shows instead of your whole screen.

Max temp of what was 60C? Why doesn't your screenshot capture that information? You should start the application while at idle BEFORE you start gaming/stressing the system. Leave it on WHILE you are gaming/stressing the system. Quit playing the game/stressing, then take a screenshot. This way it actually shows your peak temperatures. If you alt=tab out or quit the game/stress test THEN open things up, the temperatures drop pretty darn quickly.

Doesn't appear to be a temp issue by the SS. Check your BIOS for HPC and APM in the advanced CPU section. If you find them turn HPC on and disable APM

Doesn't appear to be a temp issue by the SS. Check your BIOS for HPC and APM in the advanced CPU section. If you find them turn HPC on and disable APM

I did all that, same issue. I even rolled back my drivers as all the crashes were from the newest Nvidia update. I recently re-formatted my computer and things seem to be working fine now. I wonder if I was missing some key software or something

Back