• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Ram Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krochy

Registered
Hey everyone.

In around 25 days is my birthday and im thinking of getting a ram upgrade even through I have 1gb pc3200 already. The problem with this ram is, it is a company ive never heard of before, and it only gets 1958mb/s.

I've been looking at some peoples specs and it seems to me that they have been using ram thats pc3500 433mhz. Im confused. Arent most pc's only allowed to go to DDR400/ 333/ 266. How can there motherboard support 433?

When people talk about overclocking, they say they have different timings. What exactly are timings, what do they do, and what is the best timing. (apologize if this has been answered b4. If so, just tell me there was a post a while back asking about this)

Sorry for being a noob at this. Im horrible when it comes to ram, but im good with everything else.

I have a Gigabyte K8VNXP (K8T800) mobo and it says I can have up to 3gb of 3 dimm slots and DDR400/ 333/ 266. Can I go with pc3500? Should I stick with pc3200. Do you tihnk the ram i have now is fine for me? (note, i play modern games like doom3 (half life 2,etc,etc)

Thanx in advance for the replies and I apologize for the complete noobness.

Welcome to the Forums.

Because JEDEC has only ratified a specification for up to DDR400, there is no "official" support for anything faster. So you won't see anything saying that it will support more, just because there is officially no such thing as DDR433/466/500. It will work but you'll need to overclock the FSB to get the full advantage of using faster memory.

Read the sticky regarding timings.

Unless you intend to overclock, stick with PC3200.

I think you have enough ram for now. Save your money for your next upgrade instead.

what benchmark are you getting your score from?

i'm planning to upgrade my ram too. now my ram only 256MB and wish to upgrade to 512MB only. which ram tat u all suggest?? BTW what is the different between performance ram and value ram???
currently i'm using AMD64 2800+
MSI K8N neo platinum and
Sapphire 9800pro 128MB 256bit

Thanx a lot for thereply. I used sandra for the bench.

I will check out that sticky about timings.

Update:

Ok, I found out a little more and it seems that ram should be running Synchronous with the fsb. If it Asynchronous, you should change the timings to gain performance(stop me if im wrong). Now isn't there no fsb in an amd athlon 64bit 3200+, or does it still act like there is still one anyway?

Also, is that bench I posted earlier pretty good for 1gb ram and for what i use it for? Since I use stock cooling, I think ill stick with pc3200 since I can't get my pc past 2.3ghz without it automatically rebooting or crashing.

Thanx,

Krochy

Last edited:
Back