• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to swap video card on Dell Vostro 1500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
So I have the 1500 with the 8400M GS video card... it's actually pretty nice for a stock 128mb card that comes with the system... BUT... I'm thinking about returning it to get the 8600M GT... though I'm not entirely sure.

Could I wait and then upgrade the video card myself? I have SOME experience with laptop hardware, but nothing crazy like with desktops... would I be able to upgrade my vcard cheaper myself and is it possible? Thanks.

I would also like to know, because i know it doesnt have the option when configuring it.

JamesXP said:
I think you can but heat issues might occur AND AND they're like expensive.
so a vostro with the 8600 is designed differently??

man i need to know ASAP... my 30 days is coming up...

Well what dell has typically done in the past is to put a mxm type slot on the laptops with dedicated video cards. This allowed some to upgrade/change out video cards. Unfortunately I do not know for sure if it is modular, but I would guess it is. I searched notebookreview.com and notebookforum.com and couldn't find any info on it, but it would be wise for you to post on one or both of them.
If you can upgrade it, I don't think you'll find one for a few months. How much did you pay for your 1500 and with what specs? They go on sale all the time, you may be able to get one with a 8600 for a lot cheaper then trying to do it all your self.

custom90gt said:
Well what dell has typically done in the past is to put a mxm type slot on the laptops with dedicated video cards. This allowed some to upgrade/change out video cards. Unfortunately I do not know for sure if it is modular, but I would guess it is. I searched notebookreview.com and notebookforum.com and couldn't find any info on it, but it would be wise for you to post on one or both of them.
If you can upgrade it, I don't think you'll find one for a few months. How much did you pay for your 1500 and with what specs? They go on sale all the time, you may be able to get one with a 8600 for a lot cheaper then trying to do it all your self.
i paid $800 after tax and ship (almost exactly) and got this...

Vostro 1500
upgrade to ultrasharp wxga+ (1440x900)
1gb ddr2
120gig sata 5400
8400m gs
bluetooth
9-cell battery

then i had 2gb laptop ddr2 ram here as spare at home and threw that in... which cost me cheap a while back.

but i just built another vostro 1500 (from a deal on slickdeals) and upgraded to the 8600m gt, and it comes out to about $900 shipped after taxes.

yeah, sometimes you can find them with the 8600 for $800 or so. Its hard to say if you'll be able to get a card for $100 even after selling your 8400 (still unconfirmed if you can or not), so it may be worth sending your current one back and getting the 8600 now...

Thats weird, was the 8600M GT 256 not an option when you built yours? Its been an option for last few weeks I've been looking at them. Its a $100 upgrade if you build one on Dell's website.

As for the 1500 using an MXM module, I really don't think it does. Not many new Dell's if any at all are using them. Hopefully this site will be selling them in the future at good prices:

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

dell doesn't use mxm per say, but they use their own proprietary stuff in laptops with dedicated video cards. That way they only have to build 2 motherboards vs multiple (one for dedicated and one for integrated).

Thats weird, was the 8600M GT 256 not an option when you built yours? Its been an option for last few weeks I've been looking at them. Its a $100 upgrade if you build one on Dell's website.

As for the 1500 using an MXM module, I really don't think it does. Not many new Dell's if any at all are using them. Hopefully this site will be selling them in the future at good prices:

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

the 8600M GT 256 was like $180 more when i was ordering over a month ago... now it's only $100 more... so yes it was an option, but wasn't worth it then... but for $100, i would definitely go for it!!

although, here's my problem... i already installed trend micro pc-cillin that i bought for the laptop... and registered it... if i return my laptop now i lose out on that, right? :(

I'm sure you can call them and explain the situation and they will get you taken care of. If they won't help you then I wouldn't want their product anyway.

I just feel stupid... I have a Vostro 1400 I'm returning for a full refund (i bought both 1400 and 1500 cuz i didn't know what size monitor i wanted)... i've just called so many times and now I have more to ask for... I just feel like that annoying little kid with his new toys...

So you have a 1400 and a 1500? You're returning the 1400 and keeping the 1500?

yup.

the MAIN reason is I uprgaded the 1500 to ultrasharp wxga+ 1440x900, and left the 1400 on its basic 1280x800 (or w/e it is) res... and the ultrasharp KICKS butt!! Soooo worth the $50 extra (it's now only $40).

You know you can get the 1400 with the same screen. In fact my buddy just got one with the 8400gs and the screen and bluetooth for 640 shipped.

well cant you pull the lappy apart and find out if it is modular?

too much work... already had to take it apart to add ram and bluetooth... i don't want to take that chance... i'm sure i won't kill anything, but don't wanna void any warranties or break a clip or something.

You know you can get the 1400 with the same screen. In fact my buddy just got one with the 8400gs and the screen and bluetooth for 640 shipped.

i know, but i ordered the 1500 with ultrasharp and 1400 without... since i had both of those on-hand, i chose to stick with the 1500 b/c it had the ultrasharp... otherwise, i would have had to return both and then order a 1400 with ultrasharp (3rd order).

I see. But I'd still think about sending them both back and getting a 1500 with the 8600 if thats what you want, it'll be a lot less headache and probably be cheaper.

Definitely send it back and get what you want. The small additional cost is going to be cheaper overall. From my experience laptop parts don't come cheap unless you purchase the entire thing. I doubt you'll be seeing a 8600gt for $100 anytime soon.

Back