• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Strip Surge Protectors - Example comparisons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Every PSU that isn't junk has a complete line filter in it these days.
Yes, but the line filter in the backup supplies still helped. Turning on the laser printer made the computer lock up or reboot when the computer wasn't plugged into an additional line filter, but that never happened when that line filter was added. This was true even with a cheapo PSU that originally had no line filter and even after a line filter was installed in it. I had no AC powered devices connected to the computer except the monitor, and even disconnecting the printer's USB cable made no difference. The PSUs included Delta, Antec, Enermax, all which seemed to have better line filters than the backup supplies did, and the no-filter Key Mouse/MaxPower.

Whn looking at actual written specs of my Power Surge Protectors, I noticed that besides Joule ratings, they also differ when it comes to Max Surge Amps value. 10,000 vs 30,000 vs 72,000 vs 144,000 so is that of any significance when looking at two or three and just having specs to look at?

Given that wide of a range, I suspect some of them are being rather optimistic. Alternatively it's also possible that it's a TVS Diode vs MOV thing. I need to find some to take apart I think, regardless of whether I can actually test them.
Another possibility is that there is no spec time for that max amperage. A single MOV can flow infinite amps if infinite volts are applied for an infinitely small time.
That's why Joules are listed, one joule = one watt-second, it's a measure of total energy rather than just half the equation.

I don't know, I'm just making educated guesses.

I suppose that means that it may not be as useful comparing between brands as it perhaps might be within the same brand? Case in point:
Tripp Lite SUPER7COAX: 2160 Joules ; Max Surge Amps 144,000
Tripp Lite SUPER6TEL12: 1080 Joules ; Max Surge Amps 72,000

I am still having trouble understanding real world translation of SUPER7COAX being, apparently, twice as good as SUPER6TEL12.

Probably twice as many MOVs inside.
In theory it'll take a larger surge to kill it, and it will take a larger surge to get through it.

So how do we explain why can there not be a spec for something called "number of MOVs" even if it is is to differentiate b/w models of the same brand... - that is what an average user would ask on this topic.

Largely because the government hasn't forced it, I imagine.
It'd lead to questions of whether two MOVs rated at 100 joules are better than one MOV rated at 200 joules, and so on.

So how do we explain why can there not be a spec for something called "number of MOVs" even if it is is to differentiate b/w models of the same brand... - that is what an average user would ask on this topic.

It is because the guys who write these specs aren't engineers... and because a "big number" has to be a good thing!!! So it sells better...

@Bobnova: Your question has no direct answer...
One higher rated MOV is better for protection compared to two smaller MOV but it is way worse for life expectancy.

Basically, when taking a high rated MOV, the protection is sized in order to let almost nothing pass through your device to be protected.
That is to say: "I am going to take one big MOV so that he would take every single surge in the face, making him go a lot hotter, destroying him a lot faster, leading me to no surge protection at all very quickly..."

What I am saying (the way I am saying it) is of course highly exagerated, but it has the charm to be quite near from reality and stay quite simple to understand :)

The lack of a direct answer was my point :D
I can think of arguments for both ways on the 2 vs 1 thing, based on different surge levels. No clue whether they're correct arguments as I haven't tested 'em.

Bobnova, let me get this straight. The answer to the ultimate question is "you cannot". In other words: If I hold two power surge strips in my hand, ultimately, I cannot tell X is "better than" Y just by looking at numbers two different manufacturers put on the box. If that is correct and I it sure sounds like it is, we are then left with manufacturer reputation. Office stores, for example, don't have all that many manufacturers. Therefore, what are the reputable ones?

Tripp Lite? Generally speaking of course. All things being equal, would you take TL over say, Belkin?

Here you go:

Attachments

• StaplesPowerSurge.png
    StaplesPowerSurge.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 63
  • OfficeDepotPowerSurge.png
    OfficeDepotPowerSurge.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 62
  • OfficeMaxPowerSurge.png
    OfficeMaxPowerSurge.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 62
No clue, I use whatever is in the $30 range when I need a surge protector.

No clue, I use whatever is in the $30 range when I need a surge protector.
:) You guys.

Every thread out there is a descent into technical discussion abut this. Often highly technical discussion. Often confrontational discussion. So if we step into the minds of people watching, we see that all they ultimately want is something to help them decide what to purchase.

Something that helps them decide if they should go for a $30 Strip on sale for $15 or spend $25 on a Power Surge Suppressor that lists twice the number of "Joules" and lists twice the number of "Max Surge Amps."

In essence, if we cannot address that question, then all the knowledge... all the opinions, they have no value with 9/10 people. It has value when discussing the topic with peers. That, it sure does. But let's be real and figure out how to help an average consumer who does not want to think about this, other than to figure out what choice to make, in the 10 minutes he spends looking at this topic.

Last edited:
Ace Hardware has 'em cheap, like 4 bucks. They work great, you can plug like 6 things into them. Or you can spend $30 if that's how much money you've budgeted. If $25 is all you have, though, go with a $25 surge protector. But for $15, you can get a surge protector that is worth every bit of fifteen dollars. I remember hearing something about a French guy named Ampere, "the father of the surge protector." This should help you narrow down your myriad choices.

It almost sounds like there isn't one single, all-users alert, answer. Certainly there are better and "worser" units available for the average-Joe user. As stated about the vacuum cleaner test? Buy a protector, go home, test it with a vacuum, take it back if it fails, rinse, repeat?

Bobnova, like your comment regarding "get the $30" unit. But if someone were to remark on OCF to "get the $330" unit regarding PSUs or CPUs "just cause" there'd be an uproar. Important note: I have no clue what the answer may be. Just sayin'.

Is there a better way to judge these units?

Sure, look for reviews where they at least take the thing apart and look at the bits inside.
Other than that, there really isn't.

If you spend some time looking at reviews (this does assume they exist, I haven't looked) then you can figure out which companies, if any, are honest about their numbers. From that point you can work out advice and such.
As it stands we don't know if the numbers are honest or if they're like fan ratings 5 years ago, made up on the spot.
Without that bit of knowledge there's nothing I can think of that we can do.
I might hit Ace and look for a $5 surge protector and take it apart, that's within my price range.

not to ad to this train wreck but considering we are talking about protecting pc's im surprised there is no mention of battery backups with line conditioning and surge protection, what are your opinions about those compared to standard surge protectors fpr pc's and hope electronics?

Battery backup is great.
Line conditioning here in the US? Meh. We already have power that's fine, and the EMI filter + APFC in PSUs does a lot of cleaning as well.
Line conditioning in the third world? Absolutely.

That is, of course, just my uneducated opinion :D

Back