• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Strip Surge Protectors - Example comparisons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Battery backup is great.
Line conditioning here in the US? Meh. We already have power that's fine, and the EMI filter + APFC in PSUs does a lot of cleaning as well.
Line conditioning in the third world? Absolutely.

That is, of course, just my uneducated opinion :D

Well, nothing left to say, Bobnova said it well for me :thup: (I am not in the US by the way)

hehe my power here in NM is horrible besides loosing power about once or twice a week we also get lots of small spikes as well seem to go through alot of light bulbs here lol.
so a month back i picked up a kill-a-watt and just set it to watch voltage from the plug fluctuated from 109V to 124V tried to catch it a few times when i saw lights getting dim in the house but never got to it fast enough to get a reading lol

the power is probably not bad enough to really do any damage from the voltage fluctuations other than probably some data loss if something is saving when the power totally cuts out. but a few weeks back our power was going on and off / on and off about every 5 seconds every few hours for a few days, it was almost physically painful to watch my new pc go through it so needless to say i went and got a UPS (think the power company saw me get it the power hasn't gone out since)

hehe my power here in NM is horrible besides loosing power about once or twice a week we also get lots of small spikes as well seem to go through alot of light bulbs here lol.
so a month back i picked up a kill-a-watt and just set it to watch voltage from the plug fluctuated from 109V to 124V tried to catch it a few times when i saw lights getting dim in the house but never got to it fast enough to get a reading lol

the power is probably not bad enough to really do any damage from the voltage fluctuations other than probably some data loss if something is saving when the power totally cuts out. but a few weeks back our power was going on and off / on and off about every 5 seconds every few hours for a few days, it was almost physically painful to watch my new pc go through it so needless to say i went and got a UPS (think the power company saw me get it the power hasn't gone out since)

So we can assume that NM is the third world :rofl:

Gettin' the train back on track here (while good general advice was given) I just wanted to reiterate the somewhat unreal situation in this and every thread on this topic that I researched and read. Do you see what this guy said ↓ How is this lost upon participants of almost every 'which Power Surge Protector should I buy' thread!?

But if someone were to remark on OCF to "get the $330" unit regarding PSUs or CPUs "just cause" there'd be an uproar. Important note: I have no clue what the answer may be. Just sayin'.

Is there a better way to judge these units?

Nobody knows.
You have to take each individual model apart and assess the internals, then feed them a multi-microsecond HV surge and see what comes out the other end, if they explode, if there is fire, etc.

I spent some research time on it this morning, there're a few reports here and there, but nothing that encompasses more than one or two models.

It's like PSU reviews a decade ago (except worse, as nobody is even trying), nobody had test equipment so there weren't any meaningful reviews.

Well OK.

We really have reputation only to go on here then as numbers between the manufacturers therefore would appear to meaningless. I am still unclear as to what happens if you stay within the same manufacturer. What is the educated guess here as far as the real world usage is concerned.

Case in point:
Tripp Lite SUPER7COAX: 2160 Joules ; Max Surge Amps 144,000
Tripp Lite SUPER6TEL12: 1080 Joules ; Max Surge Amps 72,000

I am still having trouble understanding real world translation of SUPER7COAX being, apparently, twice as good as SUPER6TEL12.

More importantly, out of curiosity, if we had two power strips and we could not look inside, for testing purposes, what would we need, what equipment would we need to blast through each, to test which model is "better"? Does this mean you would have to kill it in order to test it?

Odds are that in the long term those two units are equal. Twice as many MOVs, but MOVs are not precision devices, the lowest trip point MOV will take the full surge until it dies, then the next lowest, then the next lowest, etc.
I can see a situation where, if they both use identical everything except one has more MOVs, the one with more MOVs will last longer.
I can also see a situation where the first MOV to die kills the surge protector (it should kill it, really. Then it should warn you).

The reality of the situation is that it is pure guesswork, much like if a company makes two CPUs, gives them a MHz rating, then puts them in a box where you cannot see them or plug them in. You don't get any benchmarks, nor do you get anything else to compare them to. You can read the numbers and guess, but you have no real data. It's The Emperor's Nose, essentially.

Test equipment wise, at the very least you need a capacitor bank of significant size that you can charge to a few thousand volts. I've seen 6000v used as a testing spec, given that voltage you'd need a 50uF bank to store a 900 joule charge.
At a more easily attainable 2000v, you need 500 uF for a 1000 joule charge.
The next thing on my list as far as this operation goes is cracking open a few CRTs to see what their HV caps are rated at. (Don't do this, it's even more dangerous than cracking PSUs open, monitors can store a charge for years)
If they're rated high enough / large enough I may be able to build a basic tester for less than the kilobuck they cost to buy. If you touch the output of this bank, you will die.
Beyond the capacitor bank you need a way to charge the caps to however many thousand volts (and not over!), this is arguably the easiest part if you don't mind a long charge time. If you want to do multiple surges in quick succession it gets more expensive/complicated.
Beyond that you need a HV / high amp switch to dump the energy into the poor unfortunate surge protector. The switch needs to be able to survive a few thousand amps, though not for very long. A simple mechanical job switched with a long plastic stick is probably the way to go. Just replace it when it has melted beyond usefulness.
Then you need something plugged in, a light bulb would be fine.

Once you have all that, you'll need a digital scope to track the output of said surge protector, this part you won't be making yourself. It'll run at least $100 for a basic unit.

Ideally you'd have a 120VAC sine wave on the thing that you're overlaying your DC surge on, good luck with that though. How important this is I don't know. From a purely surge suppression standpoint probably not very. From a fire standpoint, it may be more important.

Testing is fatal to surge protectors, or at the very least you can no longer trust them. They're good for one (1) surge for sure. After that it depends on how big the surge was and how much damage it did to the MOV(s). The damage done ranges from none on the low end to grenading with fire on the high end.

Bob. This will sound exactly like what it is, a stupid question, or two.

Would it make more economic and prudential sense to plug a cheap surge protector into another before then plugging in PC parts in order to double (?) the protection? Or purchase a "reputable" brand spending a few more bucks on a more highly rated (?) single unit? Or other?

If the cheap one is actually functional, chaining them together might help in certain circumstances. The thing to avoid is overloading one by filling all the ports on units further down the line.
I'd go with a single good one though, personally.

I went the 30 bucks route, and trust my Psu to do the rest...but I do have some voltage spikes at home, the thing has built in line conditioning technically, but not really sure it does indeed :p

Hey, what's with Westom and his Bud? Seems like schizofrenia to me...and trollery (?)

I bought both of these:

$22.95 Tripp Lite SUPER7COAX Surge Protector Strip 7 Outlet 7-Feet Cord 2160 Joules [You get Coax cable as bonus and Coax in/out, may help with humming noise?]
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/827975/Tripp-Lite-ProtectIT-SUPER7COAX-120VAC-Surge/

vs.

$16 Tripp Lite SUPER7 Surge Protector Strip 7 Outlet 7-Feet Cord 2160 Joules
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B828...06B828&adid=0AEQF3QM9610M7KQ5RM0&&ref-refURL=

Correction: I bought the Tripp Lite SUPER6TEL12 7 Outlet 12-Feet Cord 1080 Joules after sale coupons, etc. for $9.89:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/146265/Tripp-Lite-ProtectIT-7-Outlets-120V/

Last edited:
I disconnected everything and tried to do that for you and then I found out they have this type of screw preventing me from opening it:

Attachments

• TrippLiteScrew.jpg
    TrippLiteScrew.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 55
You can get a whole set of different security bits at Harbor Freight for $5, has that one included. Otherwise you could drill it out and replace it with any old Philips.

Branded "DrillMaster" Item #68457 has the bits you need, $9.99. Item#93388 is the one I was thinking of, $5.99, but it lacks those bits.

Back