• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my Coolermast PSU doesn't come with cable sleeving, except for the 24 pin cable.
so i got a whole bunch of yellow and red wires through my Antec 900 (which coincidentally doens't have cable management either lol).

if i can cable sleeve each cable, so non of the yellow/red sticks out, my cables will look invisible anyway...as i've painted my 900 black.

and besides the cool aesthetics, individual sleeving makes the cables more bendable/flexible ;)

I have an Antec 900 as well, but I also modded it for cable management. The only PSU cable you can see more than 2" of is my 6 pin PCI-E cable. The point of cable management is to increase airflow through the case, and some aesthetics. In that case, you only have to be able to flex or bend the cables once, as long as you plan for it carefully. The way I have always done it, is to look at the case, and envision the system installed in the case. Once I have the picture in my mind, and sometimes even set the mobo in the case to help aid in planning my cuts. Once I have that all done, I can figure out exactly how I will route the cables, make my cuts, clean up the shavings, route the cables, and assemble. From that point, I don't need the cables to be more flexible, since I won't be moving them again. The closest I have come to moving them, is inplugging something for replacement.

I have an Antec 900 as well, but I also modded it for cable management. The only PSU cable you can see more than 2" of is my 6 pin PCI-E cable. The point of cable management is to increase airflow through the case, and some aesthetics. In that case, you only have to be able to flex or bend the cables once, as long as you plan for it carefully. The way I have always done it, is to look at the case, and envision the system installed in the case. Once I have the picture in my mind, and sometimes even set the mobo in the case to help aid in planning my cuts. Once I have that all done, I can figure out exactly how I will route the cables, make my cuts, clean up the shavings, route the cables, and assemble. From that point, I don't need the cables to be more flexible, since I won't be moving them again. The closest I have come to moving them, is inplugging something for replacement.
yeah i guess. you never really move cables more than once.
i guess the only cable worth considering individually sleeving is the 24pin cable...as that's probably the most notable cable in my case. mine's wrapped in some type of electrical tape for some reason.

the only cables really worth doing are PCI-E cables (as they need to be connected to GPU), 24 pin cable and maybe some fan cables.

but other than that, i just love the look...but the pic in the OP's first post makes the cables look like blue pasta noodles.

yeah i guess. you never really move cables more than once.
i guess the only cable worth considering individually sleeving is the 24pin cable...as that's probably the most notable cable in my case. mine's wrapped in some type of electrical tape for some reason.

the only cables really worth doing are PCI-E cables (as they need to be connected to GPU), 24 pin cable and maybe some fan cables.

but other than that, i just love the look...but the pic in the OP's first post makes the cables look like blue pasta noodles.

For the fan cables, I usually just pull the molex off, and use heat shrink tubing. It still gives it a nice clean look, and you can get the heatshrink in quite a few colors as long as you are willing to shop around for it. Although I am not familiar with your particular PSU, the fact that there is some sort of electrical tape is a new one to me. I have seen some that had a black cloth type of tape (similar to athletic tape) under the mesh sleeving to give the cables the black look, but electrical tape is a new one to me. It kinda makes me wonder about CM PSU's, considering all of mine are sleeved with the mesh with heatshrink holding the mesh in place. I don't see the mesh costing that much more than electrical tape, and wouldn't think the difference in price would be worth making it ugly. I still remember the days when we were sleeving with the split loom tubing.

For the fan cables, I usually just pull the molex off, and use heat shrink tubing. It still gives it a nice clean look, and you can get the heatshrink in quite a few colors as long as you are willing to shop around for it. Although I am not familiar with your particular PSU, the fact that there is some sort of electrical tape is a new one to me. I have seen some that had a black cloth type of tape (similar to athletic tape) under the mesh sleeving to give the cables the black look, but electrical tape is a new one to me. It kinda makes me wonder about CM PSU's, considering all of mine are sleeved with the mesh with heatshrink holding the mesh in place. I don't see the mesh costing that much more than electrical tape, and wouldn't think the difference in price would be worth making it ugly. I still remember the days when we were sleeving with the split loom tubing.
LOL oh nonono...i dind't explain myself correctly.
i put this grey electrical tape on it and it looks disgusting. it's because my 24pin cable is literally like bent 90 degrees so my dad thought it needed support :p
i'll post a pic when ii'm uncapped...internet is throttled to dialup speed atm.

but still, my PSU's a cheapo one. it's one of the Coolermaster Extreme PSUs. the stock fan was louder than a vacuum cleaner...so i swapped it out for a Scythe Slipstream. it's pretty much the cheapest well-known-brand PSU you can find. but i bought it 2 years back when i knew nothing about hardware.

but i was googling some cable sleeving before, and noticed...people don't usually sleeve the entire cable. for instance, the 24 pin cable will only be sleeved about 10-15cm back from where it connects to the motherboard...because the rest of the cable is tucked behind the case. it'll save sleeving material and work.

all of my friend's PCs i've assembled have sleeved cables as well. think it's just my PSU that doesn't have sleeving.

Back