• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reefa_Madness said:
Ok, looks like we've got the makings of another "hey guys, I think we hit the jackpot" thread here, hopefully with a much happier ending. I searched google, with no luck. I thought I might search a couple of the other forums, to see if anyone has any info on these guys.

And I would agree with your assessment of the 4500...Hynix is the most logical choice. Did you happen to notice the voltage on these guys? 2.8v right from the starting gate. You know more about this high fsb stuff than I do flapper, is this normal voltage for Hynix chips at these speeds? I ask because the TCCD chips are all higher voltage stuff, even at the 3200 speeds. Just made me wonder.

Life would be easy for these guys if they just used the same chips for the whole product line. Just speed test and rate as needed.

most of this hi speed stuff has a generic voltage. that is like 2.7/2.8v and up..

the only hi speed ram rated at 2.6volts is i believe the shikaram and simpletech nitro..

yeah reefa the jackpot bells are starting to ring. no matter how hard i try to keep my excitement down...

Whoa, let's be careful with jackpot bells. mT -5BC rings a bell in my head...

Speaking of which, TBL Memory seems to have disappeared, and I can't get through by phone. That's bad for the RMA process, isn't it?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-155&depa=1

Just call me "guinea pig #1"

This (2 x 256) makes it a little easier to swallow if it doesn't go well. Ordered just a few minutes ago, but probably wont get it until Monday or so, and I'll be out of town until Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it goes, although by the time I get to it, there will probably be about five of you done with your testing. Anyways, if you guys want to hold off, I'll do what I can to get back with numbers. Figured that with 2 x 256 it will work well with an NF7 board and mobile, as well as Intel. I have some KHX PC3200 non A that I can compare with, so that will give us an idea.

johan851 said:
Whoa, let's be careful with jackpot bells. mT -5BC rings a bell in my head...

Speaking of which, TBL Memory seems to have disappeared, and I can't get through by phone. That's bad for the RMA process, isn't it?

I checked their site a few days ago, and was re-directed to a new site. I went back again a day or two later, and the site was down. I wonder if it (new site) is having problems, or if it is more serious than that. So am I to understand that you are waiting for a refund from TBL on your ram? If that is the case, sure hope this is just a temporary problem at their site. Have you e-mailed Tom? You might also contact Bruce at Buffalo Tech and see if they know whether something is up with TBL. Hope it works itself out.

Reefa_Madness said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-155&depa=1

Just call me "guinea pig #1"

This (2 x 256) makes it a little easier to swallow if it doesn't go well. Ordered just a few minutes ago, but probably wont get it until Monday or so, and I'll be out of town until Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it goes, although by the time I get to it, there will probably be about five of you done with your testing. Anyways, if you guys want to hold off, I'll do what I can to get back with numbers. Figured that with 2 x 256 it will work well with an NF7 board and mobile, as well as Intel. I have some KHX PC3200 non A that I can compare with, so that will give us an idea.

thats great reefa, now that youve ordered some, i cant stop fantasizing and hoping next week youll post that u cant understand it, but not only does it run 250 2-2-2-5 but it runs 320 3-4-4-8.. i know, i know but its fun to dream....

flapperhead said:
i couldnt find a number for support.. do u have one..
PQI (510) 651-7281 I dont know where they are located though?

Yes I am going to buy them and will surely post how they do and hopefully my waiting and badgering a couple of you with an onslaught of PM's may have paid off :clap:

flapperhead said:
thats great reefa, now that youve ordered some, i cant stop fantasizing and hoping next week youll post that u cant understand it, but not only does it run 250 2-2-2-5 but it runs 320 3-4-4-8.. i know, i know but its fun to dream....

You're going to have to loan me your "Golden" 2.4 for that to happen, cause my 2.6 won't be anywhere near there.

I'll PM you with my shipping address. :)

when i first bought it it ran to 308 stable. even tho i could get it toabout 312 recently no matter what i do it isnt stable till about 296/299 now. i think its starting to degenerate. oh well i still have the prommy.. however my friend u are certainly welcome to test with it if wish..
also ive got a feeling this is gonna be a huge thread b4 all is said and done..

I'm seriously looking at their PC4500. I've got a 2.4C (M0) that will do 285FSB and I would really like to have some memory to match it. That should push nearly 7000MB/s in Sandra - prolly about 6800.

Of course I can't find anyone with a 2 x 512MB kit in stock... :-/

Last edited:
mattspalace said:
I'm seriously looking at their PC4500. I've got a 2.4C (M0) that will do 285FSB and I would really like to have some memory to match it. That should push nearly 7000MB/s in Sandra - prolly about 6800.

Of course I can't find anyone with a 2 x 512MB kit in stock... :-/

you know the more i think about it. the more it seems pqi is really set to compete in the market. they have a complete line of performance memory from pc3200 2-2-2-5 to their brand new pc4800 stuff. all at a darn reasonable price.. if their memory performs well, they will sell alot of it

Okay, I jumped on the PQI 2 x 512MB kit of PC4400. It won't be here until next week, but I'll post results as soon as I get it. I did get a stable overclock of 3.45GHz from my 2.4C - that's 288FSB. If I can get 288FSB in dual channel with the 1GB kit, then I'll be a happy camper!
Oh, and I'll most likely be pulling the heatspreaders off this memory to find out what the chips are.. :D No way these are Samsung TCCD's.

i think u are correct, they have offered this ram for a good while now.. but if u in fact do find TCCD under the hood please let me know..

Flapperhead,

What do you think the chances are of finding any BH-5 at the computer show in Chantilly this weekend? I always see some memory dealer(s) there, but never looked. What do you think?

BTW, sorry to have hijacked this thread.

ChuckS said:
Flapperhead,

What do you think the chances are of finding any BH-5 at the computer show in Chantilly this weekend? I always see some memory dealer(s) there, but never looked. What do you think?

BTW, sorry to have hijacked this thread.

thats ok , i cant tell u how many times ive gone to those shows either in annadale or upper marlboro, they never have any good stuff. but it doesnt hurt to look if u have the time....

i think our new bh5 is gonna be this samsung tccd

flapperhead said:
i think our new bh5 is gonna be this samsung tccd

You know what I REALLY like about this Samsung chip? Everyone and their mother (including Geil :) ) is making real good performing ram with it. In all the Anandtech reviews, all of the ram with these chips perform in a tightly bunched group at DDR400-DDR466 range and on up to DDR500, too. It is not like somebody has to tweak the IC to make it go.

Does perform like bh-5 in that respect, not just timings.

Reefa_Madness said:
You know what I REALLY like about this Samsung chip? Everyone and their mother (including Geil :) ) is making real good performing ram with it. In all the Anandtech reviews, all of the ram with these chips perform in a tightly bunched group at DDR400-DDR466 range and on up to DDR500, too. It is not like somebody has to tweak the IC to make it go.

Does perform like bh-5 in that respect, not just timings.

thats a good point..

Quailane said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-131&depa=1

This piece has the same timings, does that mean it could have the same chips as the pc3200?

In the case of PC2700, there are other chips that can achieve the 2-2-2-5 timings. ICs rated at 5ns (DDR400) can sometimes run at DDR333 with those timings, so in my opinion, timings cannot be used as an indication of chips in this case. These new Samsung chips (TCCD) are actually an example themselves of the taking of chips rated for higher speeds (these are rated at 4ns/DDR500 by Samsung), and using them at slower speeds with faster timings.

Also, from the business side of things, PC2700 is no longer an leading edge memory speed so it would not make sense to take chips that are currently in short suppy and high demand and use them to manufacture ram modules that in probably not going to generate high demand/sales. PC3200, running at 2-2-2-5, however, is still in high demand and can be justified from a business perspective.

Last edited:
Back