• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rec'd shipping notification from newegg. Should arrive on Wednesday, but since its shipping from NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if I get it on Tuesday. We'll keep everyone posted. Going out of town, doing the family trip to Disney with the wife and kids for a couple of days so I'll touch base here late Monday night and see what is new with PQI.

Reefa_Madness said:
Rec'd shipping notification from newegg. Should arrive on Wednesday, but since its shipping from NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if I get it on Tuesday. We'll keep everyone posted. Going out of town, so I'll touch base here late Monday night and see what is new with PQI.

great, im really interested in how well these modules...

Reefa_Madness said:
Rec'd shipping notification from newegg. Should arrive on Wednesday, but since its shipping from NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if I get it on Tuesday. We'll keep everyone posted. Going out of town, doing the family trip to Disney with the wife and kids for a couple of days so I'll touch base here late Monday night and see what is new with PQI.
good deal, I hope it's all it's cracked up to be because my order is in progress as well :thup:

Also, from the business side of things, PC2700 is no longer an leading edge memory speed so it would not make sense to take chips that are currently in short suppy and high demand and use them to manufacture ram modules that in probably not going to generate high demand/sales. PC3200, running at 2-2-2-5, however, is still in high demand and can be justified from a business perspective.
Tell that to kingston the next time they make pc2700 value ram with hynix bt-d43

man_utd said:
Sent an e-mail to pqi, perhaps they will shed some light on the ICs.
If you had read the thread you'd see I have already talked to them and gotten an answer from them. I dont think you will have any luck via email, they never replied to any of mine so I had to call them.

btw, I listed PQI's phone number in this thread a ways back ;)

He could be asking about on the other memories they have. No reason to get frazzled. The second I have enough money, I am buying a stick, and then two! :)

who me, frazzled? :clap:

will be a good thing if he contacts them, and if it's truly what they told me, then PQI will likely start getting increased sales from word of mouth alone from many forums

I'm looking to get this ram if it is indeed samsung tccd.

Does anyone know whether it is easier to overclock the TCCD IC or BH-5 to 250fsb at 2.9 or less volts on an A64 platform? Which IC usually has the tighter timings at that speed and voltage?

I am also considering the kingston khxpc3000 that is suppose to have BH-5 chips.

BH-5 wont hit 250 with less than 3.2v, so TCCD. However, with 3.2v bh-5 has been known to run 2-2-2-x at 250fsb, where the tccd will do 2.5-3-3-7, (sometimes 2-3-3-6) at 250.

Edit: Well if they reply I was asking about the upper range for the stuff PC4800-PC4200, from what you said doubt that they will reply.

JayliN said:
I'm looking to get this ram if it is indeed samsung tccd.

Does anyone know whether it is easier to overclock the TCCD IC or BH-5 to 250fsb at 2.9 or less volts on an A64 platform? Which IC usually has the tighter timings at that speed and voltage?

I am also considering the kingston khxpc3000 that is suppose to have BH-5 chips.

welcome to the forums..
i would stick with these new tccd chips they run up to about 225/230 .2.2.2.5 and god knows how fast at 3-4-4-8

Keep in mind that you're not going to be able to find this unless you get it second hand from the classifieds. BH-5 usually isn't cheap either.

Just to make sure that the PQI pc2700 512MB sticks that run at 2-2-2-5 at a lower voltage than the pc3200 and cost $40 cheaper don't have tccd chips on them, I ordered a stick of that stuff from the egg today.

I am going to do the same too... I'm going with the mirrored black though, with my blue UV fans and cables it'll look cooler than Platinum :)

I haven't decided whether I want to go for 512MB dual or the gig of dual... The gig is only $40 more...

Found only a few from PQI's reseller list that have the ones with 2-2-2-5 timings. Out of those Newegg has the absolute best prices. I am going to get the gig, unless anybody can tell me why it wouldn't work on a nForce 2 Ultra 400. I've seen other posts and reviews that say these are extremely picky about memory.

looking forward to some results next week. I am in for 2x512 if any of these PQI Turbo Series sticks hit 250mhz

JayliN said:
looking forward to some results next week. I am in for 2x512 if any of these PQI Turbo Series sticks hit 250mhz

i think this stuff is gonna be pretty good, but remember the bt pc3700 a couple weeks back.. alot of guys jumped and bought it and it didnt turn out well. if anyone is on the fence with this stuff they might want to wait for the reefa or others who already ordered to give us a little review..

Well, I have done some digging, and I honestly haven't found too much about PQI. In terms of ram, they had a reputation during the PC133 days as being one of the few memory manufacturers to get PC166 ram out, and one of about 4 to hit 185mhz on ram.

After that, they seem to have made some PC2700, using samsung TCC4 chips, nothing really big though. Will try to find some more stuff.

As far as the company goes, I'm honestly not sure what to think yet.

Back