• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pre-chilling water in res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A lot of people have talked about this before.

First plastic would be a bad idea. The amount of heat transefed through it would be way to low. Plastic insulates you want copper or Aluminum to Coduct heat.

Second Just haveing a metal box with a cold outside won't work either. You want lots of surface area so the metal can absorb the heat for the water. I you had a block with channels cut in it the water could flow through and pelts on the outside you would be golden.

Third, all the hassle of pelts. PSU to run them, power bill, insulation.

It isn't worth it unless you just want to screw around.

In the end, no matter how you figure it or how you set it up, pelt cooling your res is far too impractical to do. You will never get any significant results and you can break the bank trying. The closest anyone has ever come on these forums was Matttheniceguy with his well engineered system and if I remember right, it was not suited for and never ment for continuous use. If you are looking for a little fun with cold water just to test your rig with once to see what it can do, I would suggest replacing your res with a two gallon bucket of icewater. Much cheaper, easier, and far more effective than a pelt on a res.

yep, I built something like that. Rather than pelts on a res, it actually works better to just have the pelts on a waterblock. The higher flow rates across the block will greatly improve the heat transfer.

I made one using two 110 watt pelts. It was able to keep my water just a degree or two below ambient, while cooling about a 100 watt heat load. The unit was fun to play with, but it consumed quite a bit of power, was pretty loud (air cooled pelts) and the air it put out was like a hair dryer.

Pelt water chillers are fun to play with, but I wouldn't consider them something to run 24/7

Back