• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prepared for first dry ice run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just tightened timings up 15-15-15-32 ill have another go at my memory but this board does strange things soon as i put it down to 3200 the strangness stopped

Oh PS until you mentioned it i did forget to tighten timings ty but ive ran everything ol

Ok so still have loads of ice left i thought it would evaporate quicker no opened 2nd bag lol another 10k

If I remember it correctly then it was evaporating about 15% per 24h from a ~12kg styrobox. I used to pick 20-22kg on Friday and start benching on Saturday. Then about 10kg per day was fine if you use it for the CPU only.

Re RAM, for older chipsets the best is Samsung B and usually 2x8GB kit. 2x16GB/dual rank for some specific benchmarks like Spi32M. Micron B is not bad for new chipsets and AMD (especially APUs that can run high 1:1). For higher clocks on new chipsets good is new Hynix. In most cases, Samsung B will be still the best.

If your Ballistix 3600 kit is 2x16GB/ Micron B, then try 3800/4000 CL14-18-15 or CL15-19-16 or something similar, and up to 1.65V. This IC doesn't like more than ~1.7V. Most sub-timings can't be set very tight but tRFC can go down by ~300 compared to auto settings.

Congrats Sprite. Looks like you're having fun. I definitely miss those days. Like you, I mainly benched with DICE since LN2 is just so damn expensive here, plus I don't own a pot dewar.

Anyhow, great job. I'm hoping to see more updates.

Woomack youre spot on with the dry ice how much to use and the memory too micron b . Ill give it another go tomorrow lol i have tried ohh how ive tried Â…
Blaylock cheers very much so cant think why ive not done this before . I wish i could go colder mmmmmm colder

Ive got my main comp a 5950X and a spare 1600X thinking of getting it under dryice think the 1600X would be good . I do have a very good 5950 though not sure

But still got 6600K and 7600K to play with . Not to mention 56-GTx Ti Frozr

More dice tomorrow i hope Â… couple of pics to leave with

Attachments

• E7FDB8AB-715B-436B-A352-145C89D28110.jpeg
    E7FDB8AB-715B-436B-A352-145C89D28110.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 93
  • BD30B2A5-25B8-4403-A5F4-79D3E55DC323.jpeg
    BD30B2A5-25B8-4403-A5F4-79D3E55DC323.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 93
The 1st gen AMD zen only gave ~ 300mhz over the max 4.0-4.1 with dice. I had to use ln2 to get it to 5.0 ghz :-( if your i7-7600k is like mine, you should be able to hit 5.4ghz (delidded of course) with a AIO AND maybe 6ghz+ all cores :) remember to cut to 1-2 cores for max frequency (cpu-z screen shot) and superpi benches :) I jumped quickly into the dice setup but forgot the most important lesson. Run your setup first on a high-end AIO or custom water to hash out all the kinks and settings first. This then gives you more time to play instead of trouble shooting or fiddling with settings :thup:
One other tip (if I forgot to mention) if you have been playing for several hours 3-4 or 6 and all of a sudden the board starts acting weird and not posting/booting itÂ’s time to stop. Some part of the board is now too cold to properly work (which part I donÂ’t know) and you will spend 30min-1hour or more trouble shooting before you just give up.
Looks and sounded like you had a blast :) next stop is ln2 at a group gathering..

(delidded of course) with a AIO AND maybe 6ghz+ all cores :)
remember to cut to 1-2 cores for max frequency (cpu-z screen shot) and super pi
One other tip (if I forgot to mention) if you have been playing for several hours 3-4 or 6 and all of a sudden the board starts acting weird and not posting/booting itÂ’s time to stop. Some part of the board is now too cold to properly work (which part I donÂ’t know) and you will spend 30min-1hour or more trouble shooting before you just give up.
Looks and sounded like you had a blast :) next stop is ln2 at a group gathering..

I forgot to delid dont it now would that make difference though under such cold
Thanks for pi info will do
And youre last point awesome you saved me hours of messing around it happened all weirdness after 30 mins of head scratching reboots ect
i remembered what you said so i just stopped dismantled left everything for today and all the weirdness stopped was like normal and i delidded too
Ohhhh ln2 would love to
Cheers
Sorry about smelling mastikes

Edited WoW delidding made a difference able to oc higher now and i could not beat XTU toady delid and did it within 10 mins WoW

https://hwbot.org/submission/4848915_

Lol i beat myself lol

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ive ran out of dice 5 ladles left thank you lot for help its been absolute blast learnt lots never sit on dry ice or stand on it bare footed and most of all .
When waiting for long bench to run do not get bored and put some in youre coffee omg the mess Â…Â…..

Actually 5 ladles left i wonder if i can mess on with GT1030 i wonder

But i might order some more and put my main rig on dice think 5950 will eat it all up feeding small pot . But the 1600AF that might be fun :clap::D

forgot got to cpuz 6000MHz yay

https://valid.x86.fr/z83zny

Attachments

• 6000.JPG
    6000.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 49
A combination of things...

Lack of time to do it. Two kids... a different career/job. Other priorities and hobbies. Also, getting LN2 isn't as easy here as it was before I moved. The local Airgas here prefers to follow laws while the one in MD didn't. In MD, I used to roll up to the Airgas plant in a HOnda Prelude and a 30L dewar. They'd fill it, laugh at me putting that bish in the car, and remind me to roll my windows down just in case. Apparently, you can only put it in an open vehicle or something in Ohio... They wouldn't even let me put that dewar in an SUV. I had to rent a pick up truck... so..... yeah.

ohhh not good thats a shame having easy access to LN2 then to take it away and same dam company .
you mention LN2 would not dry ice be easier or is it a no go because not cold enough for you . still see frosty pot

i have not looked into getting it here i dont think it will be easy if possible

Same concept as...once you go water you never (want to) go back.

But as I related first... I don't really have the time in the first place to dedicate a few/several hours to ignore the family, lol.

Same concept as...once you go water you never (want to) go back.

But as I related first... I don't really have the time in the first place to dedicate a few/several hours to ignore the family, lol.
Same man. I miss doing it so much. Just don't have the time with kids and everything to setup for a weekend of benching like I did 10 years ago

All that knowledge that u2 have its a shame but totally understand i was same life ect but at moment i find myself with time on my hands . So i find my self here tring to to stand on dry ice barefooted it marked !! Lol

Thank you i meant not to stand lol

Ok ive got this getto can it be called that just a quick look see if possible dice cooling lol temps are ok without . Running out of time though dice going

Attachments

• 7A848A40-0000-4642-B2BE-5DDAE54F8887.jpeg
    7A848A40-0000-4642-B2BE-5DDAE54F8887.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
A combination of things...

Lack of time to do it. Two kids... a different career/job. Other priorities and hobbies. Also, getting LN2 isn't as easy here as it was before I moved. The local Airgas here prefers to follow laws while the one in MD didn't. In MD, I used to roll up to the Airgas plant in a HOnda Prelude and a 30L dewar. They'd fill it, laugh at me putting that bish in the car, and remind me to roll my windows down just in case. Apparently, you can only put it in an open vehicle or something in Ohio... They wouldn't even let me put that dewar in an SUV. I had to rent a pick up truck... so..... yeah.

The same law applies here. It's for your safety.
In the event of an accident LN2 in an open bed will just spill in the box of the truck. 30L of LN2 inside a Honda Prelude would suffocate you and freeze you, might not kill you but wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Yep, no doubt! Was simply saying one location was happy to do it, another absolutely refused. ;)

Back