• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 3.4 on P4P800-E Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanymanJC

Hi,

I am currently trying to get the most out of my system and was hoping I could get some specific advise. I've read a lot of other threads trying to get ideas, but I thought I would ask for opinions/advice directly.

I am currently running my 3.4 Prescott at 3.825Ghz (225*17) on an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard (BIOS v.1009). I haven't tampered with the Voltage or RAM as of yet, but if I increase the frequency, my PC does not boot reliably.

My CPU is watercooled, so I was thinking I should be able to get a little more out of it than 3.825. My question is, if I increase the Voltage (currently @ 1.4) will it directly increase the amount that I can overclock my CPU by?

Also, should I do something with my RAM? The stock timings are 3-3-3-8 according to CPU-Z, so they are not all that great. After reading many guides and other posts, I am still having trouble understanding exactly what can be done to RAM to make a difference... especially RAM dividers and Ratios, for some reason my mind won't get around it :shrug: Would manually setting the timings in my BIOS help, or would this potentially halt my system? Also, the ratio is currently 1:1. Will it benefit me to change this to 5:4, and would this potentially allow me to increase my CPU speed without problems?

Any input is appreciated.

Yes, with more voltage you will be able to overclock your CPU higher. But power consumption and heat output will go up considerably too.

As for RAM I would leave it @ 1:1 and see how far it can go. If its holding you back then try setting it at 5:4. That way you will be able to scale your CPU clockspeed further without RAM being a bottleneck.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I had to change my ratio to 5:4 to get any further overclocking, but I haven't tried changing my RAM voltage or anything.

This morning :clap:

OC.JPG

I haven't been able to test stability yet as I had to leave for work, but I have left my machine on to see if it crashes or not. RAM is at ~184Mhz, so I am not really loosing too much from changing the Ratio... which brings me to my next question:

Would increasing the RAM voltage allow me to revert back to a 1:1 ratio without loosing the ability to OC my CPU to 4Ghz? I've installed some ramsinks, so I feel a bit safer doing this, but at stock voltage I couldn't get passed 3.825Ghz due to what I believe to be the RAM. If it's not worth the trouble/risk I will just leave the settings as they are at the moment.

you're keeping it at 1.5V?! i've thought the max V on the core should be 1.45V for Prescott...

Back