• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pretty much at my wits end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesbritt268

Just figured I'd share my recent memory nightmares. I can't seem to find any decent memory brand that isn't defective.

I just had to RMA 4 diff sets of ram modules. Mind you these modules all failed with two diff psu's, cpus, and mobos.

Corsair vengeance 1866 this is my second rma of these. Started with blue, they sent me back black, now the black ones are being sent back.

Gskill ripjaws. Same. Worked for a little now theyre bad. 1866 red ones. Rma ed.

Gskill trident x 2400. Worked great for 6 months. Now theyre tossing errors all over. Rma ed.

Bought another of the trident x 2400 from newegg. Ran initial memtest. Failed at same address after like 6 to 10 passes.

I've had to rma kingston hyper x in the past.

Is there any brand of ram these days that actually tests their products before they package them?

Now i have a desktop that I can't use while I wait on 4 sets of RMA's.

Can anyone recommend a brand that actually is moderately reliable?

If you've had that many "bad" memory sticks, I'd start to question whether it is the memory. How are you testing them (i.e. what settings)? Are you testing the sticks individually to see if it is just one that is bad?

For example, if you receive two sticks and both don't work, the chances of getting two bad sticks is pretty low, especially if you've done an RMA a bunch of times.

It sounds like there are some settings that are being missed. If you have truly got that much bad hardware, I want you buying me lottery tickets.

I tested them with memtest 86+ in two intel mobos and one amd mobo and two diff power supplies.

I ran them at xmp profiles and then at default 1333speeds as well.

Same failing addresses. Diff slots. etc etc etc...

I tested them with memtest 86+ in two intel mobos and one amd mobo and two diff power supplies.

I ran them at xmp profiles and then at default 1333speeds as well.

Same failing addresses. Diff slots. etc etc etc...

James,

Did you test them with timings and voltage set manually in the BIOS at factory defaults? I agree highly unlikely all those RAMs were bad.

Sure did. I went to school for network admin. I'm very thorough, not that im mistake proof. All speeds, slots, timings tried xmp and manually.

The only thing I did not do was raise the cpu-nb voltage besides when i ran them on the amd setup. But Again three diff cpus were used. 1090t, 3570k and 3770k.

Motherboards used. Asus p8z77 v pro, asus maximus 5 forumla, gigabyte ud3 990fxa,

powersupplies:

coolermaster silent pro 1000w. XFX 1050 w gold.

Tried on asus boards without legacy USB enabled just in case as well same results.

Case temps are not an issue as everything including motherboard is watercooled.

All overclocks turned off besides ram timings for maximum assurance.

Now the new set which has been rma ed didnt start spitting out erros quickly it took a 5 pass and then a second run on tenth pass to find the two errors at same addresses.

Luckily newegg has been very nice and a new set is on the way.

However even to see if it was a possible false positive it froze during windows 8 load numerous times and crashed.

Also using the latest memtest 86+ with ivybridge support.

Tried different slot combinations as well.

Last edited:
Have you recreated the disk to make sure it isn't Memtest? Beyond that, I have no more ideas. I'll send you my address shortly so you can send me those lottery tickets.

Hahaha as long as u split the winnings!

Are both sticks bad in each set? no. But i bought the set, and as per the manufacturers/vendors claims of same model might still conflict if its not a packaged set I rma ed them all.

But still. This is like spaceballs, Ludicrous (speed)!

I mean if it was the chepaer stuff no biggie. But for 200 dollar ram sets i kinda expect it to work right ... :/

Back