• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probally a dumb question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a9249

Registered
ive been shopping for a 2x 500gb raid (since im sick of running out of storage, and transferr times are a royal pain.) and since ive been outta the harddrive loop for a number of years i really cant tell whats good anymore since everything has the same seek times, rpm, caches, and connections.
so i have to ask, ive seen these two on zipzoom:
whats the difference between this one-

Western Digital Caviar SE 16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s -- [122$]

and this one? (other than obvous price)

Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS 500GB Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer [152$]

im guessing its just a new model, since ive taken a look at the specs and everything [except the more pricy one has more info] seams to be identical.

also as a side note, since i plan on raid 0, is there a certain harddrive brand/type/make that i should be looking at and whom will be more relyable than others?

a9249 said:
whats the difference between this one-

Western Digital Caviar SE 16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s -- [122$]

and this one? (other than obvous price)

Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS 500GB Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer [152$]

im guessing its just a new model, since ive taken a look at the specs and everything [except the more pricy one has more info] seams to be identical.

also as a side note, since i plan on raid 0, is there a certain harddrive brand/type/make that i should be looking at and whom will be more relyable than others?
The RE is RAID Edition which uses TLER(Time Limited Error Recovery) which helps prevent it from dropping out of a RAID array by limiting the time allowed to correct errors. It goes back to fix them when current tasks are finished. Most desktop RAID setups won't benefit from this feature as it isn't a common problem. It has a longer warranty too I believe. The AAKS drive uses 3 instead of 4 platters of the RE and has shown to be a little cooler and better in STR from what I've read. I'd go with a pair of those. As far as a favorable drive for RAID, there isn't one model/brand/line proven to be head and shoulders above another, well, Raptors would be, but some are better than others. Your best bet is to just check out some comparison reviews of the drives you're considering to help you choose.

thanks for the help. raptors would be awesome (and probally melt whats left of my allready strained 478 board) but right now im looking for storage capacity for video editing (this 1080p is a HOG) and i just dont have the budjet. i think ill go with the error correction model..... last thing i want is to loose data :S
thanks again!
terabyte HO!

Back