• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem: MB, CPU or memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i was thinking of getting a fan for my nb... but basing on ur posts, i think ill re-evaluate :)

btw, using 5:4 ratio pc3200 or pc3500? which is better?

Brief update with good news for a change. It appears that my problem was due to the motherboard. Been running my 2.8C & OCZ memory on my new P4C800-E @ FSB 235, 1:1, DDR470 for 2 days straight @ 100% load without a hiccup. Wasn't able to do that on the original mobo. So I'm pretty sure the OCZ set is good to go, but I'll Memtest later. Had to use the 2.8C instead of the E to get started because of the older BIOS revision, but I'll be switching back soon. The C doesn't appear to be a good clocker - could't even get stable at FSB 240 1.6v 5:4. So it will go in my backup rig.

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited:
hey bud, glad to hear it!
beer.gif

Trying out the 2.8E now. Not done pushing, but made it to FSB 240 5:4. Needed to jack up the vcore (1.475v) to make it stable, though. Original mobo couldn't run stable at these settings, so at least I'm getting somewhere. The E is quite hot and a real power hog. Been making a lot of hardware changes and haven't reinstalled Windows, so that should help some when I do. Once I find this CPU's limit, I'll start pushing the memory and see what it can do at 1:1 (DDR490, 2.5-3-3-6, PAT - so far).

Definitely going to build a water cooling setup now. MBM shows CPU temps at 49°C @ 3360GHz 100% load. Not terrible, but still needs improvement.

Last edited:
hehehe so funny reading ur post and looking at my current settings, i never did try anything, after i collected data from the forums, i set my settings (below) right away... and i was amazed, 24+ hrs prime stable. Today, i just started raising fsb to 260-265 but got errors with prime95 after 2 hours :( I know 2.4c is only up to 267fsb at 5:4... but i wonder... if i could push my memory? :D

Back