• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem overclocking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moonlawg

Hey guys,I have an Athlon x2 +3800 with 4gb of pc3200 ram and i have been reading about people gettin their Athlons to 2.9Ghz stable and i can only get mine to 2.69Ghz Stable. Any ideas as to what my problems are? Will provide specs if needed.

:welcome: Yeah, Specs needed. Also, My memory might be off, However 2.9 sounds like a helluva O.C. for a 3800. Every system is different, I know I could only get 2.8 stable out of my Opty 165

Well Im runnin a Zalman CNPS9500 heatsink,So its keepin cool.
Ram - 4 gigs of Corsair XMS3200.
GPU - Zotac 9600GSO 1GB GDDR3.
Hdd - 500gb Sata-II Seagate barracuda.

Now for ram timings,
CL 3
RAS to CAS delay (tRCD) 3
RAS precharge (tRP) 3
Cycle time (tRAS) 8
Bank cycle time (tRC) 16
Command rate (CR) 2T

I have my voltage at 1.5v and my temps at idle are about 38c and about 47c while running several programs and playing music.

Okay, I set it for 15 mintues and it only ran for about 5 because it said it detected an error on my first core...?

I lowered it to 2.66 and my voltage to 1.4375 and my ram voltage to 2.65 and its running lightning fast.
It's the best settings i've been able to run on this setup so far. anyways, i ran the OCCT test for 20 minutes, come up with no errors. and max temp got to about 60c.
By far the hottest i've ever seen it run.
I am now idle at 29c.

Last edited:
OCCT runs the CPU at 100% load, Test's for heat and stability. Prime 95 is also good for stability/heat stressing your CPU. While you can often get large Overclocks to boot, You really have to stress test to find out if they are stable. Another usefull tool in O.C.ing is Memtest to check your memory for errors. Heat of course is the big enemy in O.C.ing, So getting as good as case ventilation as possible is a pretty big key.

Yeah i know what you mean. Last night i put a small fan on top of all my ram. It's pretty neat! haha.
I have 7 fans total in my comp. 4 are 120mm, others are CPU,chipset,GPU,etc.
I've made it as air friendly as i possibly can.
But thanks alot for all the help and info. Really made a difference in my machine. Appreciate it!

Back