• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with a PC&C 400w silencer psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I dunno what the heck it is but it's driving me nuts :confused: When i first got it the rails were low. I open her up and adjust the 3.3v and the 5v rails. Noway to adjust the 12v cuz there's no pot. After adjusting them and checking with the DMM my rails are:

+3.3v = 3.5v
+5v = 5.15v
+12v = unadjustable so it's 12.10v

I run it on an asus board no sweat. i get an AMD setup and i want to use the psu in the new setup. Once i hook evrything up i notice the rails are extremely high checked with the same DMM. I take the psu out, open her up and re-adjust the rails by lowering them down a notch. I set the rails as follows:

+3.3v = 3.35v
+5v = 5.05

and the 12v line is untouched. Install the psu and when i try to power on, no juice :eek: Ok, i take the psu out, jump the green and black wires it powers on. I put the DMM on it and the rails are right where i set them to. I hook up a 120mm fan just to see ad no sooner i plug the fan in the psu dies out. Why the heck is it happening when i did'nt touch the ov protection? Even after i adjusted the pots back to the way they were before i lowered them , it does the same thing :-/ . Now i'm using a 300w back up psu for the time being because i dunno what the heck is causing the 400w pc&c psu to die the moment a load is induced. Can anyone shed some light on this plz?

That PSU must have been defective from the start. PC Power and Cooling Silencer models have 5% regulation on the 12, 5, and 3.3 lines, and both your 5 and 3.3 lines were obviously off more than that. I would've told you to return it to PC P&C however you've opened it so your warentee is void.

From here it looks like the PSU had an internal failure. You mention on the AMD setup the rails were high... by how much? At any rate, perhaps it's worth a try to contact PCPC and see if they'll help you in any way. The worst they can do is say is no ;)

Back