• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with power, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atvking

My friends computer has been having a problem recently with staying on. When you start the computer it will run almost until xp boots, then shut off, then reboot itself, then it runs for a shorter time, then this process repeats until it doesn't even post. If you let it sit awhile it will boot in xp again, then repeat the same process again. I went into the bios and the cpu temp seemed fine, around 45c (if that has anything to do with it), I also checked the voltages and got 12.249, 5.145, 3.280, 1.344. I am unaware of all the specific hardware, but I know it runs a core 2 quad, asus mobo, 4gb ram, onboard video. I have noticed a high pitched whine coming from the psu when the computers off, and the psu is some old generic 500w. They also left their computer running ALL the time. I think it might be a warn out psu, but I'm not entirely sure. If you have any ideas please let me know
Thanks.

Sounds like it would either be a bad motherboard or a bad PSU and with the info about the high-piched wining noise it sounds like the PSU. Probably a bad capacitor whistling. If you have a spare PSU or can at least temporarily rob one off another system you can check that out.

It was the PSU, I have installed a new 500w 80 plus cert. PSU and everythings working fine. Thanks for the help.

Back