• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with the graphics card, or the drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkoster

Registered
My computer can't run games it could like, noon two days ago. It's the same with every game I try, it runs like I'm using a computer from the 90's. It can handle normal tasks such as posting this or watching videos just fine. This is a self built computer using an AMD 7950 with windows 8.1. There is no way for it to be a virus of any kind. Can someone please help?

For starters please list out the rest of your system, CPU, mobo, ram, psu etc (like the info in our signatures)

Have you verified that the driver is correctly installed in device manager?

Do you get error messages, or just poor performance?

Card getting hot?
If it is, it will throttle to cool itself down.

Also, did you overclock it by any chance?

Not overclocked, but unless I can check in the operating system to see if it's overheating then I'll have to look internally later.

I'm not really seeing anything like that, Unless it could be called something else or just not visible in windows 8

My computer can't run games it could like, noon two days ago. It's the same with every game I try, it runs like I'm using a computer from the 90's. It can handle normal tasks such as posting this or watching videos just fine. This is a self built computer using an AMD 7950 with windows 8.1. There is no way for it to be a virus of any kind. Can someone please help?

So vague on details, all we know is it runs like a computer from the 90's.....

What's that mean? Is the Cpu throttling? Generally that may not always be a graphics card issue but also a cpu....

Got more details on what your seeing? Rips tears, are you watching FPS? Are they low? I imagine that they are, but from reading the thread your not really monitoring anything.

Sorry for being vague. The fps is very slow. I'm no computer expert so I couldn't tell you if the CPU was throttling. The fps drops depend on what I'm doing. Its just fine now when I'm posting this but doing anything that requires more strain will drop the fps. I think it's my graphics card because when I play game I can decrease the options to the minimum and it works okay, but otherwise settings I could've run no problem earlier are impossible.

What changed before you noticed the problem? Anything? Did you upgrade drivers of any kind, install new software, change something, etc? New monitor? Anything?

You say it "can't be a virus". Why not? Have you checked? What have you run to rule that out?

I ran a few scans that ruled out the possibility of a virus. If that's not good enough for you then I can do whatever you suggest to make sure. I can't remember anything significant that could have changed anything, but when I opened my game there was an update for it that took quite a bit of time, like 7-8 minutes. After that was the first time I experienced problems with that or any other games. The game is World of Tanks, in case that helps.

Have you tried uninstalling the video card drivers and install the drivers and updating if needed.

Back