• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems OCing E6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sailing_Nut

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to OCing and I'm having some problems.

I followed the C2D OC plst I found on here, but I can't even gey my CPU to be stable at 300MHz FSB. From everything I read my platform should be ideal for OC (E6400 and Abit AB9 Pro Mobo) but it seems to refuse to work with me.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem with an AB9 Pro or E6400 and if so did you find a resolution for the problem?

If it happens to be just a bum CPU that isn't ripe for OCing that's fine, I just want to be certain it's not something that I can overcome.

FYI, I used the uGuru OC panel in the BIOS and set the FSB to 300 MHz. I tried a couple of different settings for the NB, but nothing would run stable. I thought it was a RAM issue so I tweaked it so that my RAM was clocked as t's rated, but no luck.

I kept getting a blue screen in win32k.sys if that provides any insight as to what might be going wrong. (OS is Win7 ultimate x64)

If you need any more information please let me know. (I admit I was a bad citizen & didn't read rules on posting before doing this, please forgive me! I owe all that help out a :beer:)

What's the make and exact model of RAM installed, including the quantity? Also post pic's of CPU-Z open to the Memory and SPD tabs w/ the FSB at 300MHz.

Thanks for the reply!

RAM is not branded. 2x512MB and 2x 1GB. It's cheapie stuff and it could be the source of problems. However, I am clocking it at it's rated frquency and still no luck.

The OS is not stable enough to post pics of CPU-Z with FSB @ 300MHz.

I attached pics of CPU-Z with stock clocking (I included one of each of my pairs of RAM from the SPD page)

Attachments

• CPU-Z main.jpg
    CPU-Z main.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 151
  • CPU-Z Memory.jpg
    CPU-Z Memory.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 122
  • CPU-Z SPD Slot 1.jpg
    CPU-Z SPD Slot 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 99
  • CPU-Z SPD Slot 2.jpg
    CPU-Z SPD Slot 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104
Remove the 2 x 512MB sticks, and leave the 2 x 1GB installed in the two orange DIMM slots for a dual channel config., w/ timings of 5-6-6-18-2T. Or leave the 2 x 512MB sticks installed, and change the CAS Latency to 6 for effective timings of 6-6-6-18-2T at 1.8-1.9V. If you leave all 4 sticks installed, make sure they're installed in a dual channel config. like in the pic.

Attachments

• dual4.jpg
    dual4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 97
Thanks for the info. I have checked and my RAM is installed as you have suggested.

One thing I've been wondering about is if it could be thermal issues with my CPU. Can an overheated CPU cause a blue screen?

I've been reading all of the stuff on termperature measurements and the difference between tjunction and tcase. One question I have is does anyone know on my AB9Pro mobo I'm using the CPUID Hardware Monitor and I'm curious if the CPU termperature listed under the abut uGuru 2005 is the internal diode sensor or if it is one that is mounted on the mobo.

Currently that value is running between 45 - 50 C under regular use with standard clocking. (core temps are between 53 - 60 C)

So, I seem to have gotten a stable OC (albeit small) at 300MHz FSB.

I cleaned out my CPU cooler fins to be certain, but they did not seem too dirty.

I had also been using the Auto setting for voltages, but I noticed that it was defaulting to 2.00V for my RAM when I went to manual from Auto and my RAM is only rated at 1.80V. Not sure if it was trying to use 2.00V on auto or not, but things seem to be stable now.

I ran Prime95 for about 15 min & it was stable. (I realize I should run a bit longer, but at this moderate OC I didn't want to spend a lot of time.

My "Hardware Monitor" window after the run is below. (Also including CPU-Z shots) In looking at the temps for E6400, do you think they are reasonable? Do you think I have room for more OC? Thanks!

Attachments

• HW Mon 300MHz FSB.jpg
    HW Mon 300MHz FSB.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 89
  • CPU-Z main 300MHz FSB.jpg
    CPU-Z main 300MHz FSB.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 92
  • CPU-Z Memory 300MHz FSB.jpg
    CPU-Z Memory 300MHz FSB.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 90
At a 3.0GHz clock, that's only a 270MHz overclock... so yes, your chip is capable of a considerably higher clock speed. Vcore at that clock shouldn't need to be any higher than the VID (will fall between 0.8500V-1.5V), which you can find by opening Real Temp to the Settings page, and monitoring w/ CPU-Z while running Prime. While running Prime, the Vcore should not drop lower than the VID. If it does, then compensate for the voltage drop by increasing the Vcore a like amount.

At a 3.0GHz clock, that's only a 270MHz overclock... so yes, your chip is capable of a considerably higher clock speed. Vcore at that clock shouldn't need to be any higher than the VID (will fall between 0.8500V-1.5V), which you can find by opening Real Temp to the Settings page, and monitoring w/ CPU-Z while running Prime. While running Prime, the Vcore should not drop lower than the VID. If it does, then compensate for the voltage drop by increasing the Vcore a like amount.

So if I understand you correctly, when I monitor my core voltage using CPU-Z (Will the CPUID Hardware Monitor work too?) That it should not drop below 0.85V under stress, correct? If it does bump up the vcore in my BIOS.

What about thermal concerns? What should I look for as a max CPU temp? (Either the Core temp reported in HW Monitor or the CPU temp)

Thanks!

BTW, looked @ your rig specs, :drool:!

Instead of using HWMonitor, use CPU-Z instead to monitor Vcore. A VID of 0.85V is the minimum VID for a C2D E6400, but in order to find the VID for your particular chip you'll need to open Real Temp to the Settings page. You should be more concerned w/ the core temp's (Tjunction), and not the case temp (Tcase), which should be monitored using either Real Temp or Core Temp. I believe Tcase max. is 61.4°C, and TJmax is 80.0-85.0C for the C2D E6400. And Real Temp can be set up to run as a scheduled task to start w/ Windows, and also so the core temp's are shown in the tray.

in order to find the VID for your particular chip you'll need to open Real Temp to the Settings page.

I have opened the Settings page and the only thing I see about VID is a check box then VID 1.3250. I read the documentation on Real Temp but could not find anything much on VID. Do I need to put a check mark there or is 1.3250 my actual VID?

You should be more concerned w/ the core temp's (Tjunction), and not the case temp (Tcase), which should be monitored using either Real Temp or Core Temp.

Was thinking that I needed to be concerned with tcase, because that is the only number Intel actually specs out. Also lots of other discussion of it on other threads. However most of it was arguing about the diode temp vs. actual tcase.

With a VID of 1.325V, adjust the Vcore so that while running Prime the core voltage doesn't drop below that point (unless of course Prime can run without errors w/ a lower Vcore). Tj temp's are always going to be higher than the case temp., which is why you should be more concerned w/ those temp's, and why programs like Core Temp and Real Temp only focus on those in particular. Leave yourself ~20-25C to TjMax (60-65C), if 85C is indeed the correct TjMax for the E6400, and which can be monitored using either of those two programs.

redduc900, thanks for the help & info!

Now it's off to playing & to see how much I can get out of this thing!

So now I have a stable OC @ 375MHz BUT my temps are running a bit too high.

After 10min run of Prime, I maxed out at 75C which is 15C from TJmax and that's with an ambient temp of 24C.

Thinking I now need to under volt the CPU. Anyone have any tips on that? Or a link to a good thread?

Back