• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems running HQ HD on i7-920 7800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

givmedew

I am having issues running High Quality HD videos. They either skip on some players or on Windows Media Player they video has artifacting instead of skipping (I think this is to keep it at realtime and keep the audio synced as the others are like playing in slow motion and the audio is not synced).

Anyways I am wondering if this is a Video Card, Hard Drive, or other issue? The thing is it happens off both HDs and the one HD is a nearly empty 1TB Samsung Spinpoint it handles 110MB on large file transfers so I don't think it is the HD.

If it is the video card... what can I do? I don't want to pay anything for a video card as this machine ins't used for gaming at all.

Any ideas?

Some other info is it has 6GB of memory and is OC'd stable for 24+ HRs on Prime95.

Lower bitrate 1080p and 720p videos play fine. It is just these high bitrate videos.

From your sig, you seems to have other GPU, you could simply try another one in this rig and see if it resolve the issue. Nvidia for Nvidia is a simple swap in and out to test !

Nvidia drivers are up to date ?

Drivers are up to date but all the other cards are water cooled :( and it is such a PITA but I think I will try that I have a Swiftech Rad/Res/Pump combo that makes it easy to test stuff.

I uninstalled the codec package that I had installed and that did not solve the problem all it actually did is just make it so the video would not play in WMP and now only work in VLC.

I loaded setup defaults on the motherboard and it seems to resolve the issue... but that is a lot of changes.

Is it possible that RAM timings could cause this issue even if they show to be stable in MemTest and Prime95?

My ram is running around 700MHz w/ 6-7-6-19 timings. The memory is rated to 1866 9-9-9 I think. But I think the JDEC for 1333MT/s is 7-7-7 the ram is not stable at 6-6-6 but at 6-7-6 it has passed all the tests. Voltage is 1.63.

The UNCORE is over clocked quite a bit too.

I never had those issue on my X58 setup, was OCed to ~4ghz with an I7 920 and 2000mhz ram. I dont think your ram can cause the issue, video are much "slower" than what your ram can input/output. Since you seems not to have issue with audio but only with video, i suspect video card or driver/software issue.

You said reset default the bios resolved the issue ? If so, change your settings back 1 by 1 and see wich one cause an issue. CPU OC ? Ram OC ? Other chipset ? Weird !

When you look at the video properties it says that the card has 256MB but that just over 2200MB is available so windows is assigning memory to the card.

I will do what you recommended and go one by one. Let you know how that helps.

I never had those issue on my X58 setup, was OCed to ~4ghz with an I7 920 and 2000mhz ram. I dont think your ram can cause the issue, video are much "slower" than what your ram can input/output. Since you seems not to have issue with audio but only with video, i suspect video card or driver/software issue.

You said reset default the bios resolved the issue ? If so, change your settings back 1 by 1 and see wich one cause an issue. CPU OC ? Ram OC ? Other chipset ? Weird !

Turned out to be from under-clocking the QPI :shrug:

It doesn't really make sense to me but whatever. The Rampage III Extreme has a QPI divider called slow mode or something like that which after overclocking the board it gets right back to about what stock is. I think I had it around 2.2-2.3GHz and stock is 2.4GHz I believe (4.8MT).

I am very surprised that it turned out to be that. So now I have to run the QPI overclocked but that doesn't usually cause any problems.

Last thing I would have ever expected

Back