• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with FX 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iceman1601

I found out that running the stock clock at 3.2ghz on this thing is a big no no if you play games with phyisx (which is about all new games ) i now have the cpu running at 4.0 ghz with the voltage up a tad and running fine

is this a common issue with this CPU? or do i have a problem else where and im just cranking the **** out of it with overclocking my cpu?

sorry if this has been cover else where

Last edited:
Running physX; depending on settings, uses more cpu power so overclocking brings more power onboard. If you got to run it somewhat overclocked then that is what you have to do.
RGone...

Last edited:
This is also very dependant on the Game you are trying to play. If the title you are playing is CPU dependant and only uses 1 or 2 cores. Then yes you'll have to OC it.
It's not necessarily the fact that it uses Physx it's how the title is written. If it used all eight cores then you'd probably be fine without OC'ing it.
But some titles are only single threaded and it wouldn't matter if you had three GFX cards it still wouldn't play any better than the CPU will allow.

This is also very dependant on the Game you are trying to play. If the title you are playing is CPU dependant and only uses 1 or 2 cores. Then yes you'll have to OC it.
It's not necessarily the fact that it uses Physx it's how the title is written. If it used all eight cores then you'd probably be fine without OC'ing it.
But some titles are only single threaded and it wouldn't matter if you had three GFX cards it still wouldn't play any better than the CPU will allow.

Man you said a complete mouthful there. Just g00gle "physX" and look at the great difference of opinions that the various users have about "physX". Ideas are all over the map. In fact in many of the threads about "physX", the idea of using physX is a widget whose time has come and gone. Just waiting for the time when physX just finishes its' death rolls.
RGone...

ye, i like high vcore, but the fx likes the cp/nb voltage set to 1.3 or above and the speed at 2500 and up.
it also plays better with 1866 and up ram this has helped more than a few people, me included.

ok i have an issue still ive been looking around and cant figure out whats going on with my build i play GTA4 once in a while just to have fun disobeying the cops but i have found that my pc can hardly play this game with the graphics its got...... now i have no clue whats going on because this video
(srry if i cant post links like this or w/e)
but in that video that guy has the SAME thing i have but i have 2 660s and hes running it ALOT better then i am ?(i have tried running just one seeing if its an SLI issue it does the same thing)

now i wanted to post a pic of my voltages and mabye im missing something ?
would be nice if i can figure this out ive been playing light graphic games (other then BF3) because of this
i thought i fixed it by over clocking it but it seems to not be fixed still

the wierdest thing out of ALL of this is i can play BF3 on ultra with vsync on and never go below 50 FPS

i have looked EVERYWHERE to try and find out whats going on this is the first place im asking for some help

oh btw i idnt realize but i had GTA 4 running in the background while i posted these

CPU.jpg

moniter.jpg

voltages and clock.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly the reason you see such a difference between games is that Bf3 will utilize the cpu cores where GTA4 doesn't. GTA4 is a fun game but just not written well for PC it was released as a console game and just not ported well.
You say someone had the "exact same setup" was it also the same MOBO?
Yours is underpowered IMO for an 8core BD
Don't use the asrock utility to OC they're typically buggy and can cause issues, the first thing I noticed was the Vcore. When you posted HWmonitor was the CPU under load

Iceman, have you stress tested the Cpu at your 4.0 overclock? If not download prime95 and Hwmonitor. Open Hwmonitor and run prime95, keep the temps under 70 on the cpu socket and 60 on the cores. See if it will pass 2 hours of prime95, post a pic of hwmonitor under load after your are done.

Firstly the reason you see such a difference between games is that Bf3 will utilize the cpu cores where GTA4 doesn't. GTA4 is a fun game but just not written well for PC it was released as a console game and just not ported well.
You say someone had the "exact same setup" was it also the same MOBO?
Yours is underpowered IMO for an 8core BD
Don't use the asrock utility to OC they're typically buggy and can cause issues, the first thing I noticed was the Vcore. When you posted HWmonitor was the CPU under load

no, its not the exact setup but they have the same cpu and video card. I don't use the asrock sofeware to clock i just use that to read what my cpu is doing.
it wasent under load so much i had gta 4 minimized so.... it really wasent doing much.
i understand that theres a difference between games, but the thing is i have google my same general biuld and people can play games that i can hardly play... even with the same motherboard and i cant figure it out did i go with the wrong setup ?

and i have prime 95 but i honsetly dont not have the slightest clue as to what im doing with it.

Last edited:
and i have prime 95 but i honsetly dont not have the slightest clue as to what im doing with it.
Iceman, I would first and foremost see if your overclock is stable. A general rule here for stability is passing 2 hours of prime. What I feel you should do is open Hwmonitor and then run Prime95 Blend torture test and see if it will pass 2 hours, keeping the temps on the Cpu below 70 and the package temp below 60. Post the Hwmonitor pic after you're done.

Last edited:

It's amazing how many pc games,with poorly written code make it on the pc.Some are just a straight up console port,with little change.Patches are a given,but not always a cure.Games would be the last thing I would use to judge performance.

I'd follow mandrakes advice. We'll get that machine rockin and see if we can't make gameplay a little smoother.
Just FYI I played GTA4 on my 965 setup @3,9 before I upgraded to the 8350 with the Vid card I have now and it was always glitch. It was a lot of fun but I knew going in it was problematic.

Just FYI I played GTA4 on my 965 setup @3,9 before I upgraded to the 8350 with the Vid card I have now and it was always glitch. It was a lot of fun but I knew going in it was problematic.

How am I to interpret that statement?

1. Am I to understand it was glitchy on old cpu with same video card?

2. Am I to understand that it was gltchy with old cpu and same video card but now is 'not' glitchy with the FX-8350?

3. Or should I understand that GTA4 was glitchy on the X4 Deneb processor and is also 'still' glitchy on the FX-8350 using the same video card in each of the different cpu configurations.

If as in number #3 above then it is likely as already stated; GTA4 is just prone to be 'glitchy' when poorly ported from console to PC as was pointed to as possible in post above.
RGone...

Back