• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Bane Build ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

I starting a Amd build and I am posting up my progress here ...

Parts I have so far ..
Case- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Red Steel
MB-MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ siza ATX
CPU-AMD FX-8320
GPU-Powercolor 280X
OS- Win 7 Ultimate
Heatsink-Spire TherMax Eclipse II
Storage Drive-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
Power Supply-Seasonic M12 II Bronze Edition 850W PSU

Still waiting on
SSD-SSD-Intel 80GB Solid State Drive 335 Series 2.5"
Fans- 5x Masscool 120mm High Speed Case Fan FD12025B1H3/4
Ram-G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Here is my pics so far..
IMAG0053.jpg IMAG0055.jpg IMAG0056.jpg IMAG0057.jpg IMAG0059.jpg

Last edited:
T_R That's going to be a cool looking build for sure. But I'd be leary at best about putting the FX-8320 on an MSi 970 Gamer. Socket temp will be very high even at stock.

T_R That's going to be a cool looking build for sure. But I'd be leary at best about putting the FX-8320 on an MSi 970 Gamer. Socket temp will be very high even at stock.
Ok I have been out of the game for a while so please explain some more and can anything be done ???

out of curiousity, did you at least post the board before you put it in the case??
No not yet but I bought the MB and CPU off Luke1978 in the classifieds and nothing is hard mounted yet but just put there to see how it looks ..

The MSI 970 gamer has a 8+2 power phase (VRM section) hich is an improvement from their other 970 boards (6+2). That's the good news. The bad news is its max TDP is 125W. This is the same wattage as your FX-8320 CPU. Of course any overclock with voltage bumps will increase the TDP. This will cause high socket temps that are difficult to control. For some reason MSI just does a poor job with these FX chips. I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are just the facts. Still if running at stock you may be fine. It'll just run pretty darn warm.

The MSI 970 gamer has a 8+2 power phase (VRM section) hich is an improvement from their other 970 boards (6+2). That's the good news. The bad news is its max TDP is 125W. This is the same wattage as your FX-8320 CPU. Of course any overclock with voltage bumps will increase the TDP. This will cause high socket temps that are difficult to control. For some reason MSI just does a poor job with these FX chips. I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are just the facts. Still if running at stock you may be fine. It'll just run pretty darn warm.
Ok and I understand now.. I was looking at getting the Corsair H105 but I am worried about the breaking with my kids and spilling coolant all over and frying everything and ran out of money lol..The cooler I am using is a Spire TherMax Eclipse II which I know is a pretty good cooler and will be using higher end Detla or Acer fans for it . Masscool 120mm High Speed Case will be used in the case to keep everything cool with specs
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing
Fan speed: 2,200 RPM +/-10%
Fan Noise level: 25.0 dBA
Max. Fan Air Flow: 81.02 CFM
Max. Fan Air Pressure: 3.86 mmH2O
Nothing is certain but that's the plan for cooling but will have to see if it will really work ..
Also my plan wasn't to really overclock this but to use it for gaming cause my last setup was a Amd 555BE and this is a large upgrade and I don't use it for anything else besides basic stuff

Last edited:
Roger that. I'm not aware of any game that will max all 8 cores for any length of time so you may be ok. I would definitely keep an eye on TMPIN1(I think) in HWMonitor (free version) to make sure it doesn't go above 71c.

Just to clairify, you're CPU cooler will do little for your socket temp (usually TMPIN1). This is the actual socket on the MB and not the CPU cores. Many of us will mount fans to the back of the MB @ the socket to help cool it when it's running really hot.

Just to clairify, you're CPU cooler will do little for your socket temp (usually TMPIN1). This is the actual socket on the MB and not the CPU cores. Many of us will mount fans to the back of the MB @ the socket to help cool it when it's running really hot.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.. I have seen this done to a couple projects Builds here and was wondering what the purpose was if fan being mounted like that.. Do you have any suggestions on size ,information,or mounting to help cool the socket??

If this is purely a gaming/web surfer none of this may be necesary. You really wont know until you get it up and running and check some load temps. If it's needed then...

The main thing is just to get air circulating there.

If you plan to mount it there permanently I'd go for a slim 10-15mm fan. Your clearance behind the MB and side cover will determine what can fit.

In my case I use velcro strips with 120mm fan(old extra i had laying around) when pushing my rigs hard. Any size fan will do. Velcro is nice because I can remove them easily when they aren't needed.

Back