• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Black And Red

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I have been water cooling for almost 10 years now. It has always been throw it together in a weekend and I'm finished. I decided that I want a system that really stands out for a change, so I am spending a LOT of time on this build that will be cooling:

1. 4930K on Rampage IV BE with monoblock
2. 3 x 780 TI Classifieds, would have been four until I found out you can't SLI four 780 TI Classifieds. What a rip off. You spend 3200.00 on GPU's, you should be able to SLI them. That's fine. Three is the sweet spot for 4k.
3. 64GB Corsair RAM (I know it's a waste to w/c RAM, but like I said, I'm going all out.)

I'd love to do acrylic tubing but I don't think I have the aptitude for the bends even though my 71 year old father said he'd help. The attached has taken me forever so far. I had two 780's under water with one 480 and the temps barely hit 40c at full load.

This is going to be my build log as I make process.

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Don't notice the wheelchair in the background. I broke my left ankle in January and the both bones in my lower right leg the day after I got the cast off of my ankle in March. :bang head I'm about 80% back now. At least I can walk now without limping much.

Looking good! Is that custom sleeving on the fans? Are you intending to do any other mods?

Yes. The four pumps are sleeved too. I have compression fittings with LED lights that go through the back and shine light into tubes, reservoirs, etc. You can't tell from this picture, but the fitting are alternating black and red on each rad. I'm doing the same for the blocks as well as using black and red tubing, using the opposite color as the fitting.

Daddyjaxx, With a rig like that, you should join the Benching Team and have a Blast. :)

Nice Rig your building there!

This is the never ending project. Last weekend I was thinking, oh boy I have three whole days to work on it. That was until I had to build my father a new system. Three hours to build it and 30 to load all of the software and patches. He wanted to go back to Win 7 from 8.1, so a backup wasn't an option, besides he he had so much garbage after all of these years, it was time for a refresh.

This is it so far. I have a rubber cookie for anyone that can tell me what is wrong with one fan, :)

DSCN1353[1].JPG

DSCN1354[1].JPG

DSCN1355[1].JPG

DSCN1356[1].JPG

DSCN1358[1].JPG

DSCN1360[1].JPG

Close..... :) The front upper fan is set to exhaust. Now I have to remove the reservoirs and the hard drive cage to fix it. I'll give you half a rubber cookie. :) The back fan on the top radiator had the LED not working, but I removed the LED jumper accidentally. And I don't want to hear that's what the arrows on fans are for. There are none, but I should have known better.

I can't wait to get this baby under water. I think I already hit the top 50 or 60 in 3dMark06. I really want to start overclocking. I wonder if you have to have the number one score to get better than 100% of systems. 3 x 780TI's is definitely the sweet spot for 4k gaming. I had four, but only the KingPin Classified can run 4x SLI. This is BS. The four regular Classifieds was still almost 3200.00. I think that gives you the right to run 4x SLI. That's OK. I sold the fourth one on eBay and got most of my money back. 4 x 780TI's @ 4k generally shows a drop or no difference between three at 4k anyway. There is a big difference between two and three at 4k.

Sorry for the big pic, but I am running 4k.

3dmark.jpg

Last edited:
i just have to say wow, and drooooool. this is a beast, congrats. can't wait to see more more more. temps? submissions? go go go!

I'm ready to start the first loop. RAM---> CPU/PCH/VRM--->RAM. I know, especially the RAM, is a waste to W/C, but I am. I do not think it's a waste to w/c the VRM and PCH. That's 50+ centigrade taken out of the case for each. There may be no physical gain, but a cool PC is a happy PC. I will be using:

EK Acrylic res x 2 MCP35X pumps
EK RIVBE Monoblock for the CPU/PCH/VRM
RK Ram blocks for 64 GB Corsair Dominitor 1866

32+ GB I plan to use as a RAM drive.

DSCN1361[1].JPG

DSCN1362[1].JPG

DSCN1363[1].JPG

I'm ready to start the first loop. RAM---> CPU/PCH/VRM--->RAM. I know, especially the RAM, is a waste to W/C, but I am. I do not think it's a waste to w/c the VRM and PCH. That's 50+ centigrade taken out of the case for each. There may be no physical gain, but a cool PC is a happy PC.

I have to agree with that, any heat out of the case and off of the motherboard is much better for all related components IMO. Also, what are you planning to use for fan control if any?

Definitely looking better each round of pics!

I'm using the 8x fan strip. They all only run at around 55cfm and are pretty silent anyway. I have to put the controller on the 5 1/2" drive area so that the cover closes without issues. That works in that position because the pumps will be around there anyway. The wire management is what makes or breaks a setup.

Fans.JPG

Agreed, I've been looking into several setups for my build but my problem is I wasn't each rad to have independent rpm settings. I wish they also came with 90* connectors lol

Daddyjaxx, in your sig you list 2 RX480 rads. Don't I see 2 in the bottom and 1 in the top?

I think he upgraded to 3x480 based on the pics. I believe that 2x420+360 is what he is currently using.

Nice rad capacity (480x3=1440). Though my MO RA3 is external I have an internal RX360 + the MO RA3-420 (9x140=1260 MO RA3 +360=1620). It allows a ton of heat to be dumped into the loop without running the fans full blast.

I assume he will be overclocking both the cpu and the 3 gpus so he'll be putting some watts into the loop.

Daddyjaxx, what Bitfinex fans are you using?

It's actually 3 x 480 and 1 x 120. 1 x 480 and the 120 for the CPU loop and the 2 x 480's for the GPU loop.

Bitfenix Spectre Pro Fans

It's probably too late, but I was going to say not to let the rigid acrylic stuff scare you away. It's great to work with, and the finished product is really worth the extra effort.

Sexy build so far though.

I already have too much invested in the compression fitting and other fittings. I'm not starting over with acrylic fittings, plus the acrylic tool kit is like 100+ with the heat gun. At least regular tubing can squash against a cover if needed. :)

I'm still debating about using red dye or not. I've had loops with and without. The only issues, after more than a year, was with dye. That was mostly my fault for waiting that long. The tubing looked like crap. There was no dye left and white stuff floating around, which could have been bio growth because I never added more biocide either. Some of my fittings can take a red LED. If I can get it pointed in the direction of the blocks, I may not use dye.

Last edited:
Back