• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Blue II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawkins

Well, I have decided to start a new project, Project: Blue II.

I will be taking a Chenming "Dragon" (yes another one) and modding it for a new watercooled setup.

Modding To Acheive:
- Bottom PSU mount
- Top radiator mount
- 120mm intake and exhaust
- and more!

Components:
MOBO: ASUS A8N32-SLI
CPU: Undecided
Video Card: eVGA 7800GT
Memory: OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2x1GB) DDR500 (PC4000) - HAVE
HDD: Western Digital 36GB Raptor (for OS and games) - HAVE
2nd HDD: Undecided (around a 200GB storage drive)
Optical: Plexor PX-716SA/SW SATA Drive - HAVE
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 510W SLI
Case: Chenming "Dragon" (outragiously modded) - HAVE

Cooling:
RAD: Black Ice Extreme III - HAVE
Pump: 2x Swiftech MCP655 - HAVE 1
CPU Block: Swiftech STORM G4 - ON ORDER
GPU Block: None for now
Reservoir: Going T-Line Instead
Fans: 16x Panaflo M1A's - HAVE

So my first decision is where to mount the radiator. Im thinking Im going to go with the http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-rad-12.html]Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme II and mount it up top of the case since the PSU will be at the bottom.
Now should I mount the RAD externally with the fans inside the case or just have the whole shebang inside?

Thanks

UPDATE: I updated with some of the components I will be using.

UPDATE: I added what memory I will be using.

Thanks

Last edited:
Getting ordered tonight for sure:

Aluminum Blue Chenming 601 $98.48
Optional Fan Control Unit: Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus
Power LED Color, includes installation: Blue
HDD LED Color, includes installation: Red

Getting ordered tonight hopefully:

OCZ PowerStream™ 600 Watt "Limited Edition" SLI Power Supply (OCZ600ADJ SLI) $199.99

Subtotal: $298.47

That should give me a good start on the project!

You'll have to tell me if the top bay cover comes like that or if it's got a vee/point in the middle and 4 silly bolts in it. I like the style you chose much better. I still really like the Dragon series. It's all I've modded. They just need to make an updated version with 120MM fans and I'd be in heaven!

I'll be watching!

I'll be watching this, I've had my Chieftec Dragon for almost 5 years now, definately one of the legendary case designs (though mine is steel :().

funnyperson1 said:
I'll be watching this, I've had my Chieftec Dragon for almost 5 years now, definately one of the legendary case designs (though mine is steel :().

Boat anchor.

:p

Ya, I have a steel one right now, but for $60 I couldnt pass up a alumminum one. It didnt come yesterday, should be here today.

Case is here! And already stripped apart! LOL How nice of Frozen CPU to install my fan controller for free!

Right now I am planning on how to et the PSU at the bottom. Pics coming soon (meaning whenever I find the digi cam)!

Thanks

5 of these puppies: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html are on there way! For $11 a fan and I couldnt resist! Also shipping came out to $2 a fan so that wasnt too bad. So a total of $13/ fan.

I brought my dremel to school today so last period in my welding class (Im way ahead of most of the class in welding) I started hacking on the back panel of my case! So the Project is OFFICALLY underway!

Yippee!

Today in welding I finished dremeling out the rear piece and after school I went to the steel shop and picked up a alumminum plate that I will rivent on the back and cut out for the PSU at the bottom.

I promise, pics are coming soon! Alright, off to play some Black Hawk Down, and then sanding!

Alright, Im sick of sanding all the paint off these plastic parts. What can I use to remove the paint without damaging the plastic?!?

Thanks!

Screw it, I just poured a bunch of paint thinner in a tub and put the part in there and a lid on the tub for probably 10 mins. Hopefully when I go back out there the plastic wont be eaten!

Ok it is time for an update!

Tonight I oredered a Swiftech Storm G4 before I could no longer get my paws on one.

And the reason for the delay in pics: I took the digi cam to the national FFA convention in louisvill, ky and some girl from my chapter (not mentioning weight) decided to sit on it and break the lcd screen. So my dad is trying to get it fixed. My bad

But pics soon even if it means borrowing someone elses camera!

Back