• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT: fluffy.... bunny

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knightwolf6543

PROJECT: Artic Wolf

ok the name has nothing to do with this project first off but i couldent think of anything.

this project is going to take me to around next summer to finish due to school , but you will all get little updates as i go of course.

project details: build a fully encolsed water chiller from a 6000 btu A/C to cool a amd phenom CPU and chipset, as well as mod a CM cosmos, add a LCD to the front door and a Window to the side, chiller will have a Matrix orbital to monitor the chiller temps and mobo.... stuff.

parts list:
CPU: AMD Phenom quad core
mobo: AM2+ or AM3
GPU: 1 or 2 Geforce 9800 GTX's
memory: 2-4 Gigs
PSU: PCP&C 750 watt

stuff is still scatchy as actual parts will not be purchased until end of spring when i get out of school. but the case and chiller will be done and waiting i hope by that time.
here is what i have done so far:
starting of the chiller case:
P8120113.jpg
P8120114.jpg
P8120115.jpg

more to come...

Last edited:
aw, I thought at first this was going to be a computer in an A/C unit...but then realized how ridiculous it would be. good with it all

Subscribed - I have seen other members talk about a water chiller. Will be interesting to see it in action.

Good Luck!

that thing is going to be really expensive to run. you'll feel it in the power bills. it'll be cool though.....unlike your harry potter poster:rolleyes:

djrussell said:
that thing is going to be really expensive to run. you'll feel it in the power bills. it'll be cool though.....unlike your harry potter poster:rolleyes:
ouch, he's going to need some ice a water chiller for that burn :D

But hey, it might not even be his, he could have a younger sibling who that happens to belong to

djrussell said:
didn't mean to jack your build log, knightwolf. i couldn't resist though.:beer:
It's off to a great start though :thup:

I'd still like to know if anyone knows what two devices all those cables are going into in that last picture?

well the thingy on the far right is a transformer. that's pretty obvious but probably not what you're talking about. the circuit board some kind of controller. this was taken out of an air conditioner so it probably had somekind of digital control. i don't know what the silver can thing is...

djrussell said:
i don't know what the silver can thing is...
yeah that's the one. if it weren't for my better judgement I'd say it was a giant capacitor, but that's looks awfully funky for a capacitor of any sort

It's a capacitor to jump start the compressor. You have no idea the amount of draw on your electric grid if the capacitor wasn't there.

It is a safe bet it is his little brother's poster. He tends to put stuff like that everywhere it doesn't belong...
yes my little brother and me live in the same room (unfortunately) :santa:
and yes it is his poster. he put it up several years ago and i never bothered to take it down since he nailed it into the wall.

I'd still like to know if anyone knows what two devices all those cables are going into in that last picture?
that big can is a massive capacitor and the circuit board is a controller. But I’m ditching the controller and transformer for something a bit more simpler... say a 20A military style toggle switch :D

that thing is going to be really expensive to run. you'll feel it in the power bills.

well i still live with may parents and i only have to pay for my current A/C during the summer so it wont burn to big of a hole in my pocket :)

I ordered the cooling tank and toggle switch last night, and should be here sometime this week. But I lost my eBay bid for a MCW6002 water block so i am going to use a swiftech apogee GTX since its all metal.

I got the cooler and the toggle today! Problem is that the toggle I bought has a max of 12V 20A, so I am going to wire the switch to a 12v PSU, when the switch is hit, this will trigger a relay starting the system. A look at the return line off the evap shows that there is not much pipe to work with. So instead of hacking up most of the cooler, I am going to cut into the chassis and sit the cooler lower. This will allow me to put a drain on the cooler.
no shots of the cooler yet, I will do that this weekend but here is the toggle, I am going to running to radio shack to find a suitable relay.

P8150117.jpg

Back