• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OverMoD by BlueBall (Custom MODS!) *tons-o-pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Skeen said:
So with the valve on your water line, you would run the water from the line into your cpu block and then back into the line. As far as money, would that be like keeping a faucet on all the time?

If that somehow could work, that'd be sweet. :drool:

You're close ... I would 'tap' the water BEFORE the water meter. Then expell the heated/used water directly into a drain.

Cheapest water cooling EVER!
No pumps, resevoir, radiator or upkeep! Virtually unlimited pressure/volume.

hmmm

I wonder if anyone has done this before and if not (ignoring for the moment dubious morality of it) why not?

It seems to be a brilliant solution to your quest for a quiet computer also. If you have a cpu, gpu, and heck why not? NB block, then all you need is (maybe) a slow 120mm or something to blow over your hard drives. That still leaves the psu but, if you're dedicated to the idea, you can invest in a fanless psu.

I was looking at my water meter and it comes out of the wall for about oh say 8 in or so and then hits the meter. Not really any room to install a valve secretly.

I'm sure the water man would love seeing an extra valve installed before the meter when he came to read the meter. :rolleyes:

Skeen said:
I was looking at my water meter and it comes out of the wall for about oh say 8 in or so and then hits the meter. Not really any room to install a valve secretly.

I'm sure the water man would love seeing an extra valve installed before the meter when he came to read the meter. :rolleyes:

My water meter has a relay that allows my water to be read from outside.

What is really handy is that those tubes infront of the meter are part of my existing cooling loop. :beer:

As you can see ... there is lots of room for a new valve before the meter. I know a few people that have done this mod so they can water their gardens and wash their cars for free.

Attachments

• water_meter 002 (Small).jpg
    water_meter 002 (Small).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 406
BlueBall said:
My water meter has a relay that allows my water to be read from outside.

What is really handy is that those tubes infront of the meter are part of my existing cooling loop. :beer:

As you can see ... there is lots of room for a new valve before the meter. I know a few people that have done this mod so they can water their gardens and wash their cars for free.

Got a suggestion for you, don't start a thread about this "mod". YGPM. :)

I have no morale issue getting things for free. But I certainly don't need a spotlight on any ideas that may be less than honest.

I have not done a water mod for me or anyone else. It was just one of those thoughts.

We will not speak of this again. Thx.

.....damn.....makes me want to hate bush and still hate him.... ok ready im 17 and kind of jobless other than side jobs fixing computers...got any mad cooling ideas and an idea for a block to fix a ABIT Nf7...? ^^

i still have to get myself a pump, rad, and stuff but my uncle works for maronee so shouldnt be that hard ^^.
but defiantly like the mad designs of ur water blocks. utterly amazing

Getting back to serious project mods ....

I am going to attempt to create my own DDR water cooling.

I need to decide which method will be best. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this ... I will consider anything.

The likely candidates so far are:

1) Using 3/8" copper tubing that has been bent into a wide "U", I will squish it, then solder it to a copper sheet that has been cut to a typical heat spreaders' size.

2) Create a "Dual Wafer" waterblock out of solid copper. The block will have a deep slot down the center (for the DDR) and have turbulance features for the water that travels throught it.

3) Insert good idea HERE

BlueBall said:
Getting back to serious project mods ....

I am going to attempt to create my own DDR water cooling.

I need to decide which method will be best. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this ... I will consider anything.

The likely candidates so far are:

1) Using 3/8" copper tubing that has been bent into a wide "U", I will squish it, then solder it to a copper sheet that has been cut to a typical heat spreaders' size.

2) Create a "Dual Wafer" waterblock out of solid copper. The block will have a deep slot down the center (for the DDR) and have turbulance features for the water that travels throught it.

3) Insert good idea HERE

Now that's quite the project, won't that restrict you to 2 sticks of RAM? Not that 2 sticks are a problem, I'm just thinking that by the time you allow for unrestricted water flow, the heatsink itself will be fairly large.

I'm no emgineer, by any stretch of the imagination, but seems to me when you bend copper pipe it squeezes down on itself, and considering how tight the corner would have be(not a whole ot of room around the RAM slots), a solid block would be better.

My "uneducated" opinion. :D

step 3 ... fire

Because copper is such a good heat conductor it is impossible to solder only part of it at a time. It must be done in one step.

Success!!

Attachments

• DDR copper 014 (Small).jpg
    DDR copper 014 (Small).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 382
Finishing touches and now it is mounted. Tomorrow I will run water lines ... but for now, I am done for today.

This mod only took about 3 hours. It was eaiser than I expected.

Attachments

• DDR copper 018 (Small).jpg
    DDR copper 018 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 388
Back