• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
damn what a deal
Exactly.

my jaw dropped when i saw that thing. WOW!
It is very large.

That must weigh a ton.
According to the stickers on it, 150 pounds for the whole unit. The battery pack itself is 71.8 pounds, just weighed it.

Not sure the physical size of those batteries or their AH rating but BG micro has some cheap sealed lead acid batteries. Not sure if thats any cheaper than what you've already found. http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=170

If your UPS takes 6V batteries, perhaps you can rewire it to use 12V batteries (series & parallel setup of some kind)
I know that it is supposed to give 48v after the wiring, but I don't feel like risking it. I'll stick with the stock batteries.

It's only a charger and an inverter ;) As long as the batteries are in the same configuration and you have a greater or equal amount of amp hours amongst them you should be just as good as any config, but whatever suits you best. By the way Tyler conveyed some "useful" information to me. I've still got a lot of dell parts and would be happy to replace anything free of charge.

Hmm? Doesn't bother me one bit honestly. If you got a card that would do RAID, I'd appreciate it; I'm not expecting anything. :shrug:

I was going to use it for a webserver, hence wanting the redundancy. Since I got an externally hosted website, I don't really mind either way.

I'm not too savvy on the RAID in those. I didn't see a place on the motherboard for a controller so I just assumed it was built in. Only my 1650s have an add on controller option i thought. Maybe call dell, not sure... Also if you want another 18 GB drive its yours, or I could give you four 9 GB drives for a good software RAID at least. I have six 9s running in a stripe in linux on a power edge 2300 :D The drive activity lights and the quiet simultaneous clicking amongst all of them is quite exciting lol

Not even sure what I'm going to do with it, heh. I'll let you know when I find a use.

I want to find a free ups like that. Everybody wants to sell their broken **** here.

Whats the wattage on those redundant PSUs in the blue case? If it has enough 12v amps you could probably rewire it for 24pin & 8pin 12v and run modern equipment. I just did this to a redundant psu I bought a while ago. Gives me over 1kw shared load. I just gotta make a ton of sata power cables and it can run my server.

No idea, haven't really touched that server yet other than to test the batteries in the UPS.

Just thought of it, but do you have the rails for the server case and ups? I see the bolts that grab onto the rails on the blue case, but I don't know if you pulled it straight from the rack. Those sliding rails aren't standardized in any way across manufacturers.

The UPS doesn't seem to have holes anywhere on the rack for the back support ears. I know it has to have them somewhere. When I got it, he had a 2x1 across the bottom of his rack and it sat on that; worked great.

The UPS doesn't seem to have holes anywhere on the rack for the back support ears. I know it has to have them somewhere. When I got it, he had a 2x1 across the bottom of his rack and it sat on that; worked great.

The rear support ears? Never seen em, the rails are basically a shelf that the UPS sits on and slides out on. From the rackmount UPS that I have worked with/on I have NEVER seen rear rackmount ears as you dont want to try to support the rear of the UPS while trying to pull it out the front to service it.

Yep, its just an expanding rail with an L channel at the bottom. I actually have some here, i'll go see if there in use. :bday:

The rear support ears? Never seen em, the rails are basically a shelf that the UPS sits on and slides out on. From the rackmount UPS that I have worked with/on I have NEVER seen rear rackmount ears as you dont want to try to support the rear of the UPS while trying to pull it out the front to service it.
That makes a lot more sense than just bolting it to the back. Now I just need to fine some...

My compaq 1500 is sitting on a set at the bottom, then I had another set flipped over to hold a desktop case.

I'd say I can sell them to you cheap but I know you don't have a rack just yet.

Back