• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Secret of the Ooze"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

Well, I just finished my first ever custom case from scratch and it was quite the journey to say the least. I made a lot of mistakes but learned a lot along the way as well. This was my first attempt at making a totally custom case from scratch, so I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. But as you will see, I think it turned out pretty well! Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking, but if you want to get more pictures or detail on any part of the project feel free to post questions or comments. You can also see the entire worklog in real-time as it was (very) slowly completed HERE....

Well, first up was to get settled into my workspace; prettymuch a modder's paradise! :D
DriveRailsConstruction001Small.jpg

Here we are working on the drive frames:
DriveRailsConstruction005Small.jpg
DriveRailsConstruction006Small.jpg
DriveRailsConstruction009Small.jpg
DriveRailsConstruction013Small.jpg
DriveRailsConstruction017Small.jpg
DriveHoles012Small.jpg

Here we have the piece of aluminum (purchased for a few bucks at the hardware store) all masked off with the cuts marked and ready to be hacked up:
PSUbracket003Small.jpg

After swearing and fighting with the dremel and somehow breaking the shaft, I finally got something kindof cut out:
PSUbracket005Small.jpg
...pretty, ain't it?? :rolleyes:

But after some fun, fun filing, I got it to look a little more like it should:
PSUbracket008Small.jpg

And it fits!
PSUbracket010Small.jpg

I still have to design, drill, and cut the outsides of the bracket, sand it all down, and paint it gloss black after all is said and done but I'm happy with the progress so far. :)

The acrylic corner cubes seen before were eventually ditched in favor of 3/4" aluminum angle...
NewFrame001Small.jpg
Not very friendly to the wallet though :(
NewFrame002Small.jpg

Pieces of correct length were then cut and clamped in place on the edge of the panel for drilling:
NewFrame003Small.jpg
This allowed me to perfectly align any and all holes drilled (unline with the corner cubes).

Then the holes in the aluminum frame were tapped for 6/32 screws...
NewFrame007Small.jpg

And fastened to the panel:
NewFrame005Small.jpg
NewFrame008Small.jpg
NewFrame009Small.jpg
NewFrame011Small.jpg
NewFrame013Small.jpg

P5090019Small.jpg
P5090022Small.jpg
There will be one of these pieces in all four corners of the front and back (8 pieces in total). And there will also be another drilled and tapped hole on that bare side that will accept the screw through the front or rear panel (so the one pictured above is only half done).

Now the frame is nearly finished!!
FinishingNewFrame006Small.jpg

Next task was to get to work on the new front panel replacement:
Rev2FrontPanel002Small.jpg
..and here it is with the screw holes drilled and installed on the front of the case (paper towel role for size reference only :p):
Rev2FrontPanel005Small.jpg

Then I wanted to get to work on the green frames that go behind the front and back panels...
I started with a 12" x 12" piece of the florescent green acrylic (1/8" thickness) and measured everything out from there:
FrontPanelFrame001Small.jpg

Because I am a cheapscate, I just guestimated that the 12" x 12" piece would be enough, but it didn't end up being quite big enough for what I was hoping for...
But I got the piece cut out and installed and I think it still might turn out ok:
FrontPanelFrame004Small.jpg
FrontPanelFrame006Small.jpg
FrontPanelFrame009Small.jpg
FrontPanelFrame007Small.jpg
FrontPanelFrame008Small.jpg

I had to redo the motherboard tray and remount it to the frame, but the final result works great and fits nearly perfect, so I'm happy!
MoboTrayRev2016Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2018Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2017Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2019Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2026Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2022Small.jpg
MoboTrayRev2024Small.jpg
The rectangle around the rear I/O ports seems to be a little crooked (which I didn't notice before). So I'll be correcting that as well as eventually painting all the aluminum glossy black when everything is cut and finished.

Now to make some progress on the front panel...
P1010002Small.jpg
P1010004Small.jpg

I'm gonna make another flourescent green frame type thing to go around the drives. The same thing will be done to the 3.5" drive bay devices to be located right next to the 5.25" drives...
P1010011Small.jpg

You can kind of see the design I'm going for outlined in pencil. I managed to get this far before my hands were numb and I had to take a break and go inside (the workshop is outside and it's about 15 degrees F). :brrr:

After thawing out and having a bit of lunch, I went right ahead and cut out the openings for the two 3.5" drive bay devices...
MoreFrontPanel012Small.jpg
MoreFrontPanel016Small.jpg

Then it was on to making them look pretty (or so I hoped). This involved making more fluorescent green acrylic frames around the drives...
MoreFrontPanel003Small.jpg
MoreFrontPanel018Small.jpg
MoreFrontPanel020Small.jpg

The motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2) with upgraded chipset cooling (a Zalman ZM-NB47J), AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600 Brisbane, 2x512MB Team Group Team Extreem DDR2-800 CAS 4 (good ol' Micron D9GMH chips), Zalman CNPS-9500AM2; all mounted to the mobo tray:
SOTO_Assembly030Small.jpg

The Lower half of the case with 500W Enermax Liberty PSU, two PATA optical drives (one DVD burner, one DVD-ROM), and two Hard Drives (but only one Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.8 is being used right now).
SOTO_Assembly038Small.jpg

And with the motherboard installed over the PSU and drives...
SOTO_Assembly043Small.jpg

SOTO_Assembly045Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly046Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly048Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly053Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly062Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly065Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly060Small.jpg
SOTO_Assembly069Small.jpg

And a slightly less blurry lit up shot...
SOTO_Assembly070Small.jpg
(don't mind the top panel that isn't shut all the way. I was messing with the power switch trying to get it to work...)

I also totally forgot to paint up some expansion card slot covers and some wire fan grills for the back panel. I'll see if I can get those fabricated sometime later on. But for now, I think you get the idea :D

Totally awesome! You are the Dremel King! A few questions:

1. What kind of building is that? A barn?!?
  2. How long did it take you from start to finish?
  3. How did you cut circles and curves into the acrylic? Freehand with the Dremel?

Thanks guys!
Atomic Dawg said:
Totally awesome! You are the Dremel King! A few questions:

1. What kind of building is that? A barn?!?
  2. How long did it take you from start to finish?
  3. How did you cut circles and curves into the acrylic? Freehand with the Dremel?
  1. It is a large pole barn actually. That picture is taken on the upper floor where there is an 80 foot workbench :D
  2. It took TOO LONG! HAHAHA. Seriously though, I started it in February of 2006 and finally finished in April 2007 :bang head
  3. I used a bench mounted jig saw like the one pictured below to make most of the cuts on the front and back panels. I got it close with the jigsaw then finished it off by hand with large round and half-round files (also pictured below).
P5090018Small.jpg
DriveRailsConstruction007Small.jpg

Back